2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Halide Help with Ballast  (Read 1606 times)

Offline Agame43

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Halide Help with Ballast
« on: February 10, 2018, 20:23:21 »

Are there any Metal Halide users out there? I have a question on the proper way to run my ballast - as follows - I have a 250W Halide and on my ballast I have a setting for "run bulb at 250W" or " run the buld in HQI mode" can anyone explain the difference and does it make any difference on how to run this bulb?

thanks,
Rick

Offline Agame43

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Re: Halide Help with Ballast
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 11:27:51 »

HQI is like a branding code much like THX for theaters. As well HQI is a designation of the gas/metal used in the bulb (Hydrargyrum(Mercury) Quartz Iodide) An HQI ballast will run the bulb at a higher output and power than any other ballast - an electronic ballast can use up to 275W to run a 250W bulb where as the HQI ballast will use 300W or more to run that same 250W Radium bulb.

IF anyone was ever wanting to compare Metal Halide ballast and bulbs go to Manhattanreefer.com (Sanjay's Lighting Guide) great resource and information.
  I run a 250W SE 14K Radium bulb and will runt he ballast on the HQI setting for now.

Cheers Rick

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: Halide Help with Ballast
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 13:02:46 »
That's pretty much it.  Most thought it was magic that HQI ballast made the bulb brighter.   I was never a fan of over-driving bulbs though.  As long as you have good heat removal, you should be fine.