2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Nano Reef start up  (Read 7236 times)

Offline NanoReefer937

• Fry
Re: Nano Reef start up
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2016, 09:38:12 »
It's reading good.  Not sure.  I'm not adding any fish anytime soon, so I don't think it matters just yet.

Offline Humphrey

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2016, 11:02:53 »
How are you acclimating the fish?

Offline NanoReefer937

• Fry
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2016, 14:23:13 »
The first two were drip acclimated with the anemone.  Took about three hours, seemed fine when I put them in.  The other two little one's and the big one, I just floated for thirty minutes then they were released into the tank.  They also appeared fine until morning.  Yeah, can't say with a hundred percent certainty what happened.  Just stinks that so many clowns have been lost.  The clowns were all tank raised, and so I don't think it was stress from being captured from the ocean and then transferred.  All the clowns appeared healthy when purchased and when released into the tank, all ate frozen mysis.  They were all on the small side except the last, he was a big one about two and a half inches.

Offline Humphrey

• Adult
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2016, 16:19:19 »
Can be evasive for sure.

Another idea...  Where do you keep your salinity?  Many of the fish stores keep it at less than 1.020 and the jump to 1.026 can be too big for some fish even in three hours. 

I think last I bought from Gerbers it was 1.019 though I can't remember for sure.

Offline Humphrey

• Adult
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2016, 16:21:12 »
Have gone down in salinity with fish pretty quick, but up can be problematic. Guidance is .002/day but I'm not sure if this is conventional wisdom or fact based.

Offline NanoReefer937

• Fry
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2016, 21:44:00 »
Could be I try to keep it between 1.021 and 1.022.  Not exactly sure the salinity that day however.  I will definitely be checking the LFS and my water to make sure they are the same or really close.  Thanks for the heads up, I frequent Gerber's and will have to make sure that I don't add anything if the salinity is to far off.

Offline NanoReefer937

• Fry
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2016, 21:49:55 »
Hoping to get help with identifying these two.  I found them when I brought the rock home and not sure if they are something good, or something I should be concerned with.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2016, 23:13:31 »
They are manjoe anemones. (Pest) remove them and watch for new ones

Offline Grymtooth

• Adult
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2016, 00:21:10 »
I thought the top one looked like a zoa of some sort myself, hard to tell without a top view

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Offline oldschoolcoupe

• Juvenile
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2016, 07:52:58 »
+1 for majano anemones

Offline Kenn

« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2016, 13:32:30 »
+2 majano
Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline NanoReefer937

• Fry
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2016, 19:54:40 »
Thanks guys.  The majano have been removed, hopefully for good. 

mtamorrow the salmon worked great for "Speedy", and he even came out of his little anemone cave at least for a while.

Offline mtamorrow

• Mike's Red Sea Reefer
  • Adult
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2016, 08:51:00 »
That's awesome!  I'm going to feed my rose bubble and mini carpets salmon today actually. We grill it every other week or so and I cut a few small raw pieces and freeze them for use when we get it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It costs HOW much?!

Offline NanoReefer937

• Fry
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2016, 12:30:47 »
Is it normal for cabbage leathers to darken in color?  I woke up and mine is a couple shade darker than when I went to bed.  Seems fine other than that though.  Thanks for any information.