December 14, 2018, 22:31:27

Welcome to Ohio Reef!

As a guest you can only see a small portion of our online content. Please register it is free and only takes a minute. Click here to Register now. 

Author Topic: Miles' 150gal build  (Read 20611 times)

Offline thepipbull

• Premium Member
  • Adult
Re: mil3sdavis' 150gal build
« Reply #150 on: June 20, 2017, 08:45:51 »
Gotta make it easy on the sitter....I just had to do the same with mine. Frozen food was to difficult for them so went with pellets and flake....
 A lot  of people are looking forward to the shrimp breeding. keep us informed when you start it up again 

Offline Miles

• Adult
« Reply #151 on: October 02, 2017, 08:20:35 »
Have some bad news.....my massive moti is now gone. You can kind see in a pic that I posted a while back with the basket for the purple tank that it had some discoloration... well that discoloration I believe was the start of some sort of necrosis. No matter what I did (water changes, dosing, removing affected areas, etc) nothing seemed to stop the spread... over the course of about the last month it went from looking mostly alright to completely dead. Here's a couple pics. The first it form about 3 weeks ago, the second was taken last night before I took it out of the tank.

In other news, my Snowflakes are laying! My Darwin' s laid 2 clutches once the Snowflakes started up, but have since stopped. No I just need to get those Black Photons to start thinking about children....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 08:26:53 by Miles »
150 gal mixed reef/ 100 gal sump/ 20 gal frag tank / several other misc. setups
Clownfish Breeding Log
Peppermint Shrimp Breeding Log
Tank Pics
75 gal Tank Profile
150gal Build

Offline AJ

• Premium Member
  • Adult
  • A.J.
« Reply #152 on: October 02, 2017, 10:13:35 »
Man that is heartbreaking! Watching something just dwindle away no matter what you do to save it. Did you think of submitting a Triton test to see if you have any heavy metals in you system?

Offline Miles

• Adult
« Reply #153 on: December 11, 2017, 09:18:47 »
Man that is heartbreaking! Watching something just dwindle away no matter what you do to save it. Did you think of submitting a Triton test to see if you have any heavy metals in you system?

I hadn't really thought about it. I think the issue is related to poor husbandry honestly... Since having a kid last December, my tank has been pretty neglected.

I've currently got a pretty bad algae and aiptasia issue. Thinking about setting up a Cheato reactor (or maybe just throwing some cheato in my sump). At this point the aiptasia issue is so far out of control, I'm not even sure how to go about tackling it. I occasionally use Aiptasia -X  which seems to initially kill it off, but its all back within a couple weeks.  I wish I could find a Copperband that will eat more than just aiptasia.
Clownfish Breeding Log
Tank Pics
75 gal Tank Profile
150gal Build

Offline thepipbull

• Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #154 on: December 11, 2017, 18:17:25 »
Sound like a good time to breed berghia nudibranchs. Im sure there are a couple people on here that would buy them if you were able to keep them going.

Offline Miles

• Adult
Re: Miles' 150gal build
« Reply #155 on: December 12, 2017, 09:49:42 »
Sound like a good time to breed berghia nudibranchs. Im sure there are a couple people on here that would buy them if you were able to keep them going.

Just read this.... http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2008/11/breeder

Might have to give it a try...
Clownfish Breeding Log
Tank Pics
75 gal Tank Profile
150gal Build

Offline Miles

• Adult
« Reply #156 on: July 17, 2018, 10:20:05 »
Well... its been a while...

I ended up getting a file fish. It hasn't completely wiped out my Aiptasia problem, but it has definitely made a big dent in it. Since I got the filefish about 4 months ago, it has probably doubled in size.

So the other day my GFCI tripped several times, it took a little trial and error and discovered that one of the recirculating pumps on my skimmer was causing it. So here's the trouble, the pump is a Sicce PSK1000, when I bought it originally from Avast Marine with the CS3 skimmer it was $85 (The skimmer has 2 of them).... I don't know if this pump was discontinued or what happened but I have seen it listed online anywhere from $120 to $160. I'm not going to pay that much to replace it, so I'm probably just going to live with the one pump. 
Clownfish Breeding Log
Tank Pics
75 gal Tank Profile
150gal Build

Offline jjoos99

• Premium Member
  • Elder
« Reply #157 on: July 17, 2018, 21:43:38 »
Well... its been a while...

I ended up getting a file fish. It hasn't completely wiped out my Aiptasia problem, but it has definitely made a big dent in it. Since I got the filefish about 4 months ago, it has probably doubled in size.

So the other day my GFCI tripped several times, it took a little trial and error and discovered that one of the recirculating pumps on my skimmer was causing it. So here's the trouble, the pump is a Sicce PSK1000, when I bought it originally from Avast Marine with the CS3 skimmer it was $85 (The skimmer has 2 of them).... I don't know if this pump was discontinued or what happened but I have seen it listed online anywhere from $120 to $160. I'm not going to pay that much to replace it, so I'm probably just going to live with the one pump. 
I had 2 sicce 2500 pumps on my skimmer and I finally got tired of constant issues with them and bought a bubble blaster 5000.  What a great skimmer pump, never regretted the expense.
Jeff