Welcome to Ohio Reef!

As a guest you can only see a small portion of our online content. Please register it is free and only takes a minute. Click here to Register now. 

Author Topic: The nightmare begins!  (Read 726 times)

Offline jjoos99

• Premium Member
  • Elder
Re: The nightmare begins!
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2018, 23:33:36 »
thanks for all the compliments.  The frames are at the powder coater, wont be ready till the end of this week.  I hope to get the tank drilled and the back glass painted this week while I am waiting on the frames.  Might actually be using the suction cups within the next couple of weeks if all goes well.  Tomorrow will be my 6th and final aefw dip.  I had hoped to have the tank ready by now but hasnt played out that way.  Most of my corals have lost quite a bit of coloration so I will be anxious to get everything back to normal.  so far only one loss which I am grateful for.
Jeff

Offline jjoos99

• Premium Member
  • Elder
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2018, 22:43:58 »
I am installing a synergy shadow ghost style overflow into this tank.  It requires drilling two 65mm holes towards the top of the tank.  Instead of the huge corner overflows this overflow only sticks out into the tank by 1 1/2 in and is 18 wide and 7 in tall inside the tank.  I drilled the tank today.  I wasnt as nervous as I thought that I would be.  The drilling went well, used plenty of water and went very slow.  The synergy overflow comes with a plastic template that is like corrugated cardboard and held the water perfectly.  I have heard nothing but great things about these overflows.  Ill be anxious to see how well this works once up and running.
Jeff

Offline Reeferntraining

• Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2018, 11:03:04 »
Jeff, I donít know how thick the rim is in your tank but did you take that into consideration when you drilled?

Offline jjoos99

• Premium Member
  • Elder
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2018, 12:08:12 »
The frame I will be installing will come down about 1 1/2 in. With where I put the template and drilled, the water level should be about even with the bottom of the trim.  I put the template up to the top of the glass like the instructions say and the top of the inside box will almost hit the euroglass rim I put on it. . Either way, it's too late now. Lol
Jeff
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 12:15:05 by jjoos99 »

Offline Nbehnken

• Premium Member
  • Fry
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2018, 16:28:27 »
The ghost overflows are a great addition to the build

Offline Reeferntraining

• Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2018, 17:09:19 »
I remember dry fitting mine for quite a while to make sure Iíd be able to get the cover off but also make sure my waterline was high enough in the front.

With my 40B build I didnít need an OF that big so I went with the eshopps 2 drain. Honestly, it sucks. Iíve had to modify the weir because the water level was too low and the OF is noisy. The synergy is definitely a better OF. At least in my experience with both.

The frame I will be installing will come down about 1 1/2 in. With where I put the template and drilled, the water level should be about even with the bottom of the trim.  I put the template up to the top of the glass like the instructions say and the top of the inside box will almost hit the euroglass rim I put on it. . Either way, it's too late now. Lol
Jeff

Offline JMM

• Premium Member
  • Fry
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2018, 17:53:27 »
Running one on my 70 and 120 mixed reef and it is dead quiet. Like it enough I ordered two drilled for my 180. It can take a bit of fiddling to get it right but itís worth it.

Offline jjoos99

• Premium Member
  • Elder
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2018, 22:40:37 »
My biggest selling point was having such a low profile inside the tank.  My oceanic tank had two huge corner overflows, 11X8.  Be so glad to get rid of them with the new tank.  After seeing Jessie's and watching videos online I was convinced to install one in this tank.
Jeff

Offline Reeferntraining

• Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2018, 07:16:59 »
Itís a great OF Jeff. Youíll be happy with it. And as JMM said, itís dead quiet. Another suggestion Iíll give you is to buy the economy gate valve from BRS. I have the expensive Spears on the Synergy OF. I put the economy gate valve in the 40B and the economy valve allows more precise micro adjustments. The Spears, although sturdier, sticks and can be a pain to get adjusted correctly.