Welcome to Ohio Reef!

As a guest you can only see a small portion of our online content. Please register it is free and only takes a minute. Click here to Register now. 

Author Topic: Lazy’s Coral House Build Thread  (Read 11835 times)

Offline Daytonsalt83

• Juvenile
Re: Lazy’s Coral House Build Thread
« Reply #90 on: January 05, 2019, 20:29:15 »
I used 7/8 unistrut painted it black Homedepot $20 10’  its galvanized though can bolt it together with spring nuts and flat brackets pretty easy. I think it turned out ok

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Elder
« Reply #91 on: January 05, 2019, 23:12:37 »
Could always try alro,   That’s where we buy all of our aluminum extrusion for work.

Offline Lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Elder
« Reply #92 on: January 05, 2019, 23:38:43 »
I bought my tank framing materials from online metals. Com. Even after shipping they were cheaper then buying local by quite a bit. My boss can weld really well and might do it for you for a dinner out certificate. Aluminum is harder to weld then steel unless you know what you are doing.
Thanks Jeff, i May hit you up for fabrication. I would like to find a metal source local. I am not sure what I am looking for yet but will know when I get to see it and feel rigidity and look

try mcmastercarr  they will have it.

Thanks, unfortunately they are quite the haul.

[/quote]

I used 7/8 unistrut painted it black Homedepot $20 10’  its galvanized though can bolt it together with spring nuts and flat brackets pretty easy. I think it turned out ok

That looks great Ryan. Did you paint it or did it come black?

Could always try alro,   That’s where we buy all of our aluminum extrusion for work.

Looks like this is the place I need to visit. I will head out there early this week. Thank you!

Offline Daytonsalt83

• Juvenile
« Reply #93 on: January 06, 2019, 09:26:58 »
I painted  can of primer and black. They don’t sell it in colors

Offline guynamedfleck

• Premium Member
  • Juvenile
« Reply #94 on: January 09, 2019, 17:31:36 »
Look at metal supermarket. There is a location right in your backyard (next to UD) and you can buy off the shelf. Great group and great prices. You can walk through their warehouse to see what they offer and the crew loves to talk projects.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline Lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Elder
« Reply #95 on: January 09, 2019, 18:36:39 »
Thank you Fleck, I will check them out as well. Things are stalled as of right now. A lot of the places are closed by the time I get off work.

Offline Lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Elder
« Reply #96 on: January 12, 2019, 00:08:17 »
 I’m still on the hunt for some metal.  I checked Home Depot and they have what would work but not long enough pieces. All these metal stores are closed by the time I get off work. Does anyone know a place that is open on Saturday’s

Offline JMM

• Premium Member
  • Juvenile
« Reply #97 on: January 12, 2019, 10:41:19 »
You might be able to get a metal fabricator to keep an appointment after hours or on a Saturday. It might help to see what you need too. Could be someone with a more flexible schedule could pick it up for you.  Frustrating for sure.

Offline Trini 2D Bone

• Premium Member
  • Fry
« Reply #98 on: January 12, 2019, 11:15:24 »
If you was building it with regular iron I could weld and fabricate it for you.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Elder
« Reply #99 on: January 12, 2019, 12:12:07 »
Do you know what you want Lazy?  I could have our salesman quote it.  We get much better pricing than the web site shows.

Offline Lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Elder
« Reply #100 on: January 12, 2019, 13:28:51 »
Thanks Jim and Ricardo.

Paul Unfortunately I don’t know what I want yet. Well I do but not sure what it is called until I can see the look, feel the strength etc..
It needs to be 8’ long, ability to run the power cord inside to hide it. Rigid enough that one end can attach to wall and other end can attach by a wire rope to ceiling with no other supports from one end to the other. Smaller the better as far as thickness and size of the channel

Offline Warhawk937

• Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #101 on: January 12, 2019, 14:11:32 »
Have you looked at uni-strut.   calbright sells stainless$$$   or you could buy coated unitstrut .  they sell rubber covers and endcaps for it.   all types any it is very sturdy. 

Offline JMM

• Premium Member
  • Juvenile
« Reply #102 on: January 12, 2019, 14:33:24 »
Maybe not the look you want but black pipe ( gas line) would meet those criteria.

Offline Nbehnken

• Premium Member
  • Juvenile
« Reply #103 on: January 12, 2019, 16:26:21 »
The unistrut comes in several thickness 7/8” and 1 5/8” with 10’ and even 20’ lengths. You can also get it slotted or unslotted. I think the unslotted would look the best. You could drill holes in it and run your wiring in the channel.

They also have a large variety of angles and brackets. We use it a bunch in the electrical industry and often times to hang lights. I can get it from any of our local distributors. PM me if you have any interest in it and I can send you a catalog and get pricing for you.

Offline Lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Elder
« Reply #104 on: January 12, 2019, 20:00:12 »
Unistrut would likely work and probrably be the final solution  but I need to see it in person before purchasing. I see lots of options online to purchase many products that could be good solutions but without first seeing it I am not able to tell. Jimm I would like a square and light weight product

Club Tools

Par Meter

Fish Trap

Thermometer

Suction Cups

Manjo Wand

Laser

Chemistry Kit

Hole Saws

Frag Saw

Chiller

Stats