2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: My First Aquarium  (Read 3960 times)

Offline Octula

• Fry
My First Aquarium
« on: October 04, 2018, 18:58:03 »
Here is my first Aquarium that i am starting. This is a small aquarium only intended for four to five fish. I'm at this point making minor adjustments to balance out my levels. The picture of my aquarium is my profile picture, its the only way i could get it to display. The only questions i have are:

1. How long should I wait to add fish now that I have everything in it?

2. Do you think this is an okay beginner tank?

3. Do you have any suggestions or changes to the tank that you would advise me on?

4. How do you post pictures in a post? (I tried adding it as an attachment and it wouldn't load.)

Offline SweetReefOH

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
My First Aquarium
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 19:19:53 »
The first question would be, do you have ammonia, nitrite and nitrate test kits? These are imperative to knowing when your nitrogen cycle has started and completed. You should not add any living organism until that cycle has  completed or you will be torturing and likely killing it.

Offline Octula

• Fry
Re: My First Aquarium
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2018, 19:22:17 »
This is the test kit I bought: API Saltwater Aquarium Master Test Kit, 550 count

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2018, 19:24:03 »
This is the test kit I bought: API Saltwater Aquarium Master Test Kit, 550 count
Great, that’s what you need to get started. Have you added any beneficial bacteria to the system? And have you done anything to initiate the “cycle”?

Offline Octula

• Fry
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2018, 19:28:17 »
I added this to it as well  Nature's Ocean Bio-Activ Live Aragonite Natural Aquarium Sand. Plus i was told to start feeding it so i put two small pinches of flake food into it yesterday.

I hope that is what you meant by getting the cycle started.

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2018, 20:09:12 »
I added this to it as well  Nature's Ocean Bio-Activ Live Aragonite Natural Aquarium Sand. Plus i was told to start feeding it so i put two small pinches of flake food into it yesterday.

I hope that is what you meant by getting the cycle started.
I’m not familiar with that particular sand, but it sounds like it was “live sand”? That should help, but I would still add some nitrifying bacteria. I use BioSpira when I cycle a tank. I think others would have some suggestions too.

As in the other thread, I think “ghost feeding” the tank takes too long to get the cycle going strong. That’s why I use a cooked deli shrimp. Put it in a short glass (cuz it will get messy when it starts rotting) and slowly lower it into the tank. Test your ammonia and nitrite every couple days until you get a strong nitrite reading. At that point I take the shrimp out. Slowly. It will be messy. Once the ammonia and nitrite read 0 and you have a nitrate reading, your safe to add a little bit of life. Don’t overdo it though because your beneficial bacteria won’t be able to keep up and you can start another mini cycle.

Offline Octula

• Fry
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2018, 20:30:56 »
I will try the Shrimp tomorrow and I ordered the Biospira

Offline Reef Tank 2.0

• Adult
  • Shawn
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2018, 20:42:47 »
1. what size tank is that?
2. Do you have a sump?
3. Do you have a skimmer?
4. Will all your equipment be HOB, or located below the tank in the sump? (heaters, filtration, etc)
5. IMHO, I would ditch the API kits.  They are notorious for inaccuracy, and hard to get an accurate reading.  They may be fine for the initial set up, but I'd get a kit more dependable.  I myself use Salifert test kits.
6. Will this be a fish only tank?

Although I am only 3-5 years into the hobby, one thing I have learned, is to have PATIENCE.  Nothing good happens fast, but everything bad can happen in a hurry.  Take your time, and cut no corners.  This is one hobby, that should not be done half ass

As reeferntraining mentioned, get your levels to spike, and then come back down to zero before adding anything.

Offline Octula

• Fry
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2018, 21:00:47 »
1. This is a 10 gallon tank.
2. Im going to say no to this, All i got is a small heater and filter
3. no not yet
4. I dont know what HOB means, Heater and Filter are in the tank
5. I dont know about kits I just bought it because Ive heard of API before, and heard they are well respected.
6. I plan on 2 clowns, 2 damsels, and an anemone.

Believe me when I say I'm not in no hurry, Ive been working on this for about 2 month. Im trying to not spend a whole lot at one time, so ive been buying  a piece here and a piece there. And i know the importance of having the water, for lack of a better term, Perfect.

Offline Reef Tank 2.0

• Adult
  • Shawn
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2018, 21:09:31 »
HOB - hang on back

maybe someone else can chime in, but I think that tank will be rather tight for 4 fish.  But without knowing for sure, I'd be interested in others thoughts on this.  I would think two clowns or two damsels, but not both.  Unless you've already researched this.

nems will need a good light source, and perfect water conditions.  A number of nems need a 20g tank or larger.  Many may disagree with this statement, but from what I read, they need a larger thank than what you have.

Offline Octula

• Fry
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2018, 21:16:39 »
I was figuring since I got a small tank I'd get small fish and a seemingly small anemone.

Offline Octula

• Fry
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2018, 19:57:50 »
So I just got my bottle of BioSpira so i added a whole deli shrimp and the bottle of BioSpira as per the directions. So hopefully I'll be spiking here soon and will be getting me a fish or two within the next week... I hope. Approximately how long should I leave the Shrimp in the tank? Until everything spikes? Until i see visible bacteria on the rock and Vase?

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2018, 09:41:45 »
That’s why I use a cooked deli shrimp. Put it in a short glass (cuz it will get messy when it starts rotting) and slowly lower it into the tank. Test your ammonia and nitrite every couple days until you get a strong nitrite reading. At that point I take the shrimp out. Slowly. It will be messy. Once the ammonia and nitrite read 0 and you have a nitrate reading, your safe to add a little bit of life. Don’t overdo it though because your beneficial bacteria won’t be able to keep up and you can start another mini cycle.

Offline Octula

• Fry
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2018, 09:45:39 »
What is considered a strong nitrite rating though?  A reading that is off the chart or just higher than normal?

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2018, 16:49:22 »
What is considered a strong nitrite rating though?  A reading that is off the chart or just higher than normal?
Normal is 0. When you’re up 3-5 colors from 0 in your chart, and you’re getting a nitrate reading of anything more than 0, it’s time to remove the shrimp.

Offline redtigeroh

• Fry
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2018, 21:46:14 »
I was figuring since I got a small tank I'd get small fish and a seemingly small anemone.

A small tank is less of an investment, but can also be much more difficult to maintain.  It is possible to run nano tanks, but you must remain diligent with water testing and water changes.  It is so easy for the water chemistry to get out of whack in a small tank.  Neglect will be much more evident in a small tank, as many times it will kill your creatures.

Patience is really important in this hobby.  Hold off for as many weeks as you can before putting any animals in your tank.  Just because the nitrogen cycle has completed, does not necessarily mean the tank is ready to handle the waste load.  The more time you allow, the more nitrifying bacteria will populate in the system (given some food source).

Also, anemones eat fish, so don't be surprised if some of your small fish come up missing.  I really like anemones too, but I would only put clown fish in a 10g tank with an anemone.

Offline Jesterrace

• Fry
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2018, 16:56:06 »
Great, that’s what you need to get started. Have you added any beneficial bacteria to the system? And have you done anything to initiate the “cycle”?

Just me, but I don't trust API.  Personally I would go with either Red Sea or Salifert.  Occasionally API can give false positives for ammonia and it's nitrate chart is frustrating (ie is it 10-20 or 40-80).  API should work well enough for the cycle, but after that I would switch.