Welcome to Ohio Reef!

As a guest you can only see a small portion of our online content. Please register it is free and only takes a minute. Click here to Register now. 

Author Topic: 130g in-wall tank build  (Read 892 times)

Offline guynamedfleck

• Juvenile
130g in-wall tank build
« on: November 26, 2018, 18:57:31 »
Hello everyone!

it has been a long time coming, but I am finally settling into the new house and starting on the new fishroom. I have been collecting pieces for the last 2 years in anticipation of this build.  I was lucky enough to find a new place in Cincinnati that had a half finished basement which will be perfect for the in-wall build I was planning.  I still have a ways to go, but i think this project is far enough along to begin sharing with the group.

The plan:
The existing basement was half finished, with an in wall bar and original fireplace, and half unfinished for utilities.  These two spaces were separated by a 7 foot cased opening, which was kind of odd. The obvious solution? cut a new doorway and fill in the old opening with a 6 foot aquarium! This lets me enjoy the reef from the finished basement bar and hide the life support on the unfinished side.

Step one, as always is to knock together the stand!

The rough stand for the 130g DT I picked up from a retail shop in downtown Cincy. If you would believe me, it came from a shoe store where it was the center of the store display years ago.
Also a peak into the unfinished side of the basement. A pair of 55g drums that will act as RODI storage and pre mixing station for water changes.

A view from the other side, you can see the start of the maintenance access platform and into the finished basement.

More to come as the build progresses!

Offline guynamedfleck

• Juvenile
Re: 130g in-wall tank build
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 19:01:27 »
Day two and the progress continues.  I managed to frame in the rest of the wall and finish the stands for the DT the sump and the adjoining maintenance platform.

From the fish room.

And the bar

The plan is to have a bookcase/hidden door to the left of the tank to easily access the bar. there is also a main entrance into the utility room and fish room from the stairs.

Offline guynamedfleck

• Juvenile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 19:04:00 »
Day 3 and the tanks are in place.  This old 130g is ridiculously heavy! I just barely managed to lift it up on the platform by myself, but so happy to see it in place!

From the bar.

And from the fish room! complete with sump in place.  The sump is a ~150g acrylic breeding tank I picked up from a gent in Urbana a while back.  It has 6 independent chambers that I plan to modify into a sump, top-off reservoir, and a quarantine tank.  I could definitely use some help on the sump plan.  Hoping to include 2 filter socks, a media area, refugium, external skimmer, grow out, and return.   

Next step is roughing in the plumbing and closing up the wall.

Offline ohioreef

• Premium Member
  • Elder
  • Founding Member
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 21:24:29 »
Looking good! So wish I had somewhere to put in an in-wall tank.

Offline cbell56

• Premium Member
  • Juvenile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2018, 11:15:01 »
Looks very well done so far. Keep us up to date.

Offline guynamedfleck

• Juvenile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2018, 19:44:27 »
Thank you! I'm awaiting a few black Friday equipment purchases, but work keeps plugging along.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline Lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Elder
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2018, 23:55:27 »
Looks great Fleck! Nice job

Offline guynamedfleck

• Juvenile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2018, 20:38:23 »
Most of my holiday was spent last minute out in the workshop, but I got a chance to sneak a few minutes hear and there on the build.

Started in on plumbing the tank. got the unions installed for the overflow box as well as the return lines. I also added a 1" drain with ball valve for water changes out one side of the display tank. I need to do some heavy modifications to the sump before I can finish the plumbing.

Then I turned my attention to the much anticipated RODI upgrade. I cleared out a corner of the basement and built a wall panel on one side of the barrel stand. This let me properly install the new 150gpd unit and tidy up the tubing. This unit runs into the right barrel with a float valve as a primary top off reservoir.  The left barrel will be for mixing saltwater. down the road i will tie it directly into the RODI unit and modify the barrel to make the process easier.

Offline Miles

• Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2018, 10:34:05 »
Then I turned my attention to the much anticipated RODI upgrade. I cleared out a corner of the basement and built a wall panel on one side of the barrel stand. This let me properly install the new 150gpd unit and tidy up the tubing. This unit runs into the right barrel with a float valve as a primary top off reservoir.  The left barrel will be for mixing saltwater. down the road i will tie it directly into the RODI unit and modify the barrel to make the process easier.

For my setup, I ran the RO/DI output to a 3 way valve (https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/3-way-ball-valve-with-john-guest-1-4-push-connect.html) and then added a float valve to the other barrel also. That way i can choose which barrel gets filled and it will still trigger the auto shutoff on the RO/DI.
150 gal mixed reef/ 100 gal sump/ 20 gal frag tank /13.5 gallon Fluval Evo/ several other misc. setups
Clownfish Breeding Log
Peppermint Shrimp Breeding Log
Tank Pics
75 gal Tank Profile
150gal Build

Offline merlin3

• Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2018, 10:35:40 »
Same here, a valve between two containers, one i use for fresh and one for salt and both have float valves

Offline guynamedfleck

• Juvenile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2018, 10:45:41 »
Awesome,  thank you guys!  That is an excellent solution.

My plan is to enlarge the opening on the top of the second barrel for easier access for mixing and then split the output of a pump inside for mixing and refilling the DT.

I've got a good bit of acrylic to cut (router) to get the sump up and running, which I have been hesitant to start on. Maybe that will be a good new years project.

Offline guynamedfleck

• Juvenile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2019, 16:54:01 »
Managed to blow off all my responsibilities for a day and put a few hours this fine new years day to work on the sump.

First up I knocked out a quick CAD drawing for a filter sock holder and made the returns for the sump.

I'm still trying to figure out milling acrylic on the x-carve, but this will do for the immediate need. Use what you've got, right?

And installing the returns in the first two chambers.

Aside form this, I capped off the return holes previously drilled in the tank in its past life and sheeted the wall on the display side of the room. Bonus, is i am one step closer the finished bar/game room!  Progress is slow but steady, we may even have water in the system by the end of January.

Happy new year everyone!

Offline guynamedfleck

• Juvenile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2019, 21:13:48 »
First 2 baffles installed which create the return chambers of the sump. Bonus: first minor blunder. I had to modify the sock holders, since after being installed, I could no longer fit the baffle panels through the hole at the top of the sump to install.  :alas:

Now knowing where the socks will rest, I was able to glue up a bit of the overflow piping.

Slow and steady... it is coming along.

Offline Miles

• Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2019, 08:56:06 »
Did you have any issues cutting acrylic on your CNC? That is something that I need to try on mine, just haven't gotten around to it. My concern is that Id end up going too fast or slow and end up with melting plastic.
150 gal mixed reef/ 100 gal sump/ 20 gal frag tank /13.5 gallon Fluval Evo/ several other misc. setups
Clownfish Breeding Log
Peppermint Shrimp Breeding Log
Tank Pics
75 gal Tank Profile
150gal Build

Offline guynamedfleck

• Juvenile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2019, 09:19:00 »
Did you have any issues cutting acrylic on your CNC? That is something that I need to try on mine, just haven't gotten around to it. My concern is that Id end up going too fast or slow and end up with melting plastic.
I've tried a couple times and still haven't quite gotten the nack of it.  Heat is definitely the enemy. I tried with a previous project using a 1/16" bit for detail and that was a big fail. The bit heated up quickly and bound to the acrylic, than snapped.
For this layout I used a 1/4" bit and speed up the feed rate.  It was usable for a sock holders, but still got too hot by the end of the second piece.

I'd say using the largest bit possible, feeding faster, and keeping the run time short is your best bet. Unless you want to run a coolant of some sort.

A laser cutter or water jet will always be best with acrylic, but we have to use the tools we have. Give it a try, you can help me dial in the sweet spot!

Club Tools

Par Meter

Fish Trap

Thermometer

Suction Cups

Manjo Wand

Laser

Chemistry Kit

Hole Saws

Frag Saw

Chiller