December 11, 2018, 13:04:56

Welcome to Ohio Reef!

As a guest you can only see a small portion of our online content. Please register it is free and only takes a minute. Click here to Register now. 

Author Topic: 130g in-wall tank build  (Read 106 times)

Offline guynamedfleck

• Juvenile
130g in-wall tank build
« on: November 26, 2018, 18:57:31 »
Hello everyone!

it has been a long time coming, but I am finally settling into the new house and starting on the new fishroom. I have been collecting pieces for the last 2 years in anticipation of this build.  I was lucky enough to find a new place in Cincinnati that had a half finished basement which will be perfect for the in-wall build I was planning.  I still have a ways to go, but i think this project is far enough along to begin sharing with the group.

The plan:
The existing basement was half finished, with an in wall bar and original fireplace, and half unfinished for utilities.  These two spaces were separated by a 7 foot cased opening, which was kind of odd. The obvious solution? cut a new doorway and fill in the old opening with a 6 foot aquarium! This lets me enjoy the reef from the finished basement bar and hide the life support on the unfinished side.

Step one, as always is to knock together the stand!

The rough stand for the 130g DT I picked up from a retail shop in downtown Cincy. If you would believe me, it came from a shoe store where it was the center of the store display years ago.
Also a peak into the unfinished side of the basement. A pair of 55g drums that will act as RODI storage and pre mixing station for water changes.

A view from the other side, you can see the start of the maintenance access platform and into the finished basement.

More to come as the build progresses!

Offline guynamedfleck

• Juvenile
Re: 130g in-wall tank build
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 19:01:27 »
Day two and the progress continues.  I managed to frame in the rest of the wall and finish the stands for the DT the sump and the adjoining maintenance platform.

From the fish room.

And the bar

The plan is to have a bookcase/hidden door to the left of the tank to easily access the bar. there is also a main entrance into the utility room and fish room from the stairs.

Offline guynamedfleck

• Juvenile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 19:04:00 »
Day 3 and the tanks are in place.  This old 130g is ridiculously heavy! I just barely managed to lift it up on the platform by myself, but so happy to see it in place!

From the bar.

And from the fish room! complete with sump in place.  The sump is a ~150g acrylic breeding tank I picked up from a gent in Urbana a while back.  It has 6 independent chambers that I plan to modify into a sump, top-off reservoir, and a quarantine tank.  I could definitely use some help on the sump plan.  Hoping to include 2 filter socks, a media area, refugium, external skimmer, grow out, and return.   

Next step is roughing in the plumbing and closing up the wall.

Offline ohioreef

• Premium Member
  • Elder
  • Founding Member
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 21:24:29 »
Looking good! So wish I had somewhere to put in an in-wall tank.
Gary

Offline cbell56

• Premium Member
  • Fry
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2018, 11:15:01 »
Looks very well done so far. Keep us up to date.

Offline guynamedfleck

• Juvenile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2018, 19:44:27 »
Thank you! I'm awaiting a few black Friday equipment purchases, but work keeps plugging along.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline Lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Elder
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2018, 23:55:27 »
Looks great Fleck! Nice job