Welcome to Ohio Reef!

As a guest you can only see a small portion of our online content. Please register it is free and only takes a minute. Click here to Register now. 

Author Topic: bare bottom reef filtration  (Read 328 times)

Offline jmiller1611

• Josh
  • Fry
bare bottom reef filtration
« on: December 05, 2018, 10:37:35 »
I've got a 80 shallow rimless tank set up as a frag tank. its pretty full currently and has 3 tangs, a 6 line wrasse, 1 chromis, and 1 clown. I have a kessil h80 as my refugium light and cannot seem to get chaeto to survive. I know the chaeto is good bc i pulled it from my other tank where it is growing very well. Does anyone else have this issue? what are you using for filtration in your bare bottom tank? I have no algae issues with the way it is currently running, but the chaeto keeps dying. Am i better to go with filter pad/sock + more live rock?

thanks

Offline Reeferntraining

• Premium Member
  • Elder
Re: bare bottom reef filtration
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 10:59:41 »
How long has the tank been set up? What are your test results for everything? Especially nitrate and phosphate? And what kits do you use to test with?

Offline jmiller1611

• Josh
  • Fry
Re: bare bottom reef filtration
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 09:56:28 »
6 months, all the live rock, skimmer, filter media, and 50% of the were transferred from one of my other tanks that have been going for 2+ years.

Nitrate is 4-5ish ppm and  phosphate are .04ish - api

I certainly donít test as often as I should mostly bc the tank looks great, coral and fish doing well. Just having difficulty keeping chaeto

Club Tools

Par Meter

Fish Trap

Thermometer

Suction Cups

Manjo Wand

Laser

Chemistry Kit

Hole Saws

Frag Saw

Chiller

Stats