2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Frag tank add-on DINOS...What should I be doing?  (Read 1551 times)

Offline VikingCoral

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Juvenile
Frag tank add-on DINOS...What should I be doing?
« on: June 25, 2019, 20:26:48 »
I recently added a frag tank that's tied in to my DT around 3 weeks ago. I know dinos come with the new surface area but what should I be doing about them? Can I remove the racks and clean them off? Add flow or maybe a red slime type remover?

DT is very clean, frag tank is starting to get covered in brown dinos. I can post parameters and pictures later if they would help.

Thanks
Dustin

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
Re: Frag tank add-on DINOS...What should I be doing?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2019, 22:48:40 »
Dustin
  Read this thread that is going on right now.  It covers just what you are asking about.
Jeff
http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=23072.0;topicseen

Offline Agame43

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2019, 22:49:07 »
Smokesreef,

If you read the Post "Please Id this Algae" shown just below your post Gary nails it on the head with Dino's. This is a very broad topic, factors as Gary mention - time, balance of system, try Waste Away, a natural way may be to add a refugium and let Chaeto bring balance back, longer dark cycle, reduced lighting, UV sterilizer, syphon out daily what you can - minimize water changes I have heard,  the one thing that no one mentions is throwing the kitchen sink at it as well - Lol !!! Not really meaning to be funny but there are a lot of variables and most talk of modest success.

Good Luck

Offline VikingCoral

• Juvenile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2019, 22:55:22 »
Hello, I looked through that thread but it doesn't say anything to do other that a 3 day blackout. I would like to know if I can physically remove them or chemically battle them. I dont want to just wait... it's a mess. The tank was fine before so I really dont see the need for added equipment but I could be wrong!

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2019, 23:01:02 »
For me physical removal has been the best option. Using brushes on glass, spraying off frag racks in sink, using pump to blast them off of other surfaces such as frag plugs. Catching what you can in filter socks  and rinsing them out often. Being aggressive with staying after them.

Offline VikingCoral

• Juvenile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2019, 23:35:37 »
Awesome, that definitely would be the best option for me, its only 48"x 18" so cleaning will be fast.

Thanks

Offline Agame43

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2019, 20:49:29 »

Smokesreef,

I was not trying to miss lead you, was just stating that there is a lot of information out there. I currently am doing what Bryan called out as well, clean rock - loosen and catch in a filter sock. I added a frag tank as well and have had off and on bouts with Dino.

Offline VikingCoral

• Juvenile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2019, 20:54:58 »
Thanks Rick, I apologize if I came off abrasive there, I appreciate the input!

Tanks looks like new today. I'll see how many days it takes to come back and repost.

Offline Agame43

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2019, 23:05:11 »

Hey not a problem at all - I did not see it as abrasive, this issue is frustrating as you can tell by all of us adding our comments.  I cleaned two rocks, added a new filter sock tonight as well to keep this at bay. I have dialed back my light cycle some as well. Keep us posted.

Offline Humphrey

• Adult
Re: Frag tank add-on DINOS...What should I be doing
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2019, 23:32:54 »
Just to commiserate, I have just added 6 tanks to my frag system—  2 about 4 months ago and the remaining 4 about a month ago. It’s all the same water.  Thankfully, the first 2 tanks no longer have Dino’s, but the 4 new ones have developed them.

When I’ve beaten them in the past, it’s been in existing tanks.  I’d combine the popular remedies into a multi-pronged attack... H2O2 dosing, increased PH using Kalkwasser, together with a 3 day black out.  Each individually didn’t do it, but together it’s worked.

This go around I turned off my skimmer, dosed nitrate to about 3PPM, and I let PO4 climb to around .045PPM.  I’ll let them creep up to double these amounts if the tank wants to.  Nature has just taken its course in the first 2 tanks so I’m hoping the others will follow.  In the meantime I’ll just keep cleaning it off until it doesn’t come back.

Seems like more have been getting Dino’s than I remember in the past?  More bare-bottom tanks?  Anyway good luck all.