Welcome to Ohio Reef!

As a guest you can only see a small portion of our online content. Please register it is free and only takes a minute. Click here to Register now. 

Author Topic: Tracking Mixed Reef Progress  (Read 410 times)

Offline HomeReef

• Premium Member
  • Fry
Re: Tracking Mixed Reef Progress
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2019, 21:22:11 »
Well... I donít believe he was eating.  The only thing I ever saw him eat was off the rock.  He must have picked it cleaned and died of starvation.  I was trying to feed leaf lettuce and seaweed but never observed him pecking at it.  Not sure why he wouldnít be eating it or how you make the fish eat.

Offline HomeReef

• Premium Member
  • Fry
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2019, 21:02:23 »
Started this project, bought four 20 gallon Longs and a 10 gallon.  The 10 gallon will be a coral quarantine tank. Bottom right will be a fish quarantine. Bottom left is a sump.  The top two are connected with a bridge and will be for frags. 

Offline HomeReef

• Premium Member
  • Fry
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2019, 18:32:38 »
Got my first fish for this project today.  Time to get the cycling going!

Offline Reeferntraining

• Premium Member
  • Elder
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2019, 20:13:39 »
Homereef, if Iím understanding you correctly you bought a fish to cycle the tank/tanks?

Offline HomeReef

• Premium Member
  • Fry
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2019, 20:26:04 »
Yes I did but I also added live bacteria.  I plan to keep the fish in the tank, itís a Blenny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Reeferntraining

• Premium Member
  • Elder
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2019, 20:40:49 »
Well, I guess itís too late now but I am assuming that you werenít aware of the other, less brutal ways to cycle a tank?

Please understand that using a fish to cycle a tank is an extremely torturous process for the fish? I am sad for the blenny

Offline HomeReef

• Premium Member
  • Fry
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2019, 20:50:02 »
Not aware of any other way.  I have read a little about people using decaying food but not sure how confident I am in that process.  I do know, I added live bacteria and live rock from an established tank so the process should be fairly easy on the fish.  I doubt ammonia spikes too much.

Offline Reeferntraining

• Premium Member
  • Elder
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2019, 21:03:10 »
I assure you, the fish will suffer the moment you have an ammonia reading. I would equate it to breathing diesel fuel exhaust and not being able to get out of it as it gets worse and worse. Yes, a piece of live rock will help, but it will still cycle.

For future reference there are at least 2 other ways to humanely cycle a tank.

1. Fill the setup, add your bacteria then lower a cup into the system with a piece of cooked deli shrimp in it. It will only take a few days to get your ammonia up and then you remove the cup and let the tank finish itís process.
2. Add your bacteria. Purchase Dr. Timís ammonium chloride (Marine Depot) and dose it to 2 ppm. The system will do the rest.

Not aware of any other way.  I have read a little about people using decaying food but not sure how confident I am in that process.  I do know, I added live bacteria and live rock from an established tank so the process should be fairly easy on the fish.  I doubt ammonia spikes too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline HomeReef

• Premium Member
  • Fry
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2019, 21:09:17 »
Awesome, thanks for the information! Thatís why I am on the forum and sharing what I do, willing to learn all I can.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 21:15:04 by HomeReef »

Offline Reeferntraining

• Premium Member
  • Elder
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2019, 21:20:32 »
I understand. And Iím not trying to club you down. I just wanted to make sure you were aware and I just hate to see/hear of any of these little amazing creatures suffering.

Offline HomeReef

• Premium Member
  • Fry
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2019, 16:38:39 »

Here is my photo from 1 Aug, had a lot going on this month but not much change in the tank.  I moved most of the corals out until I figure out what I want to put in and where.  Currently dealing with a bubble algae outbreak and have no idea why.  Have never had to deal with it before.  In the next month I plan to add pictures of corals I have added.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Club Tools

Par Meter

Fish Trap

Thermometer

Suction Cups

Manjo Wand

Laser

Chemistry Kit

Hole Saws

Frag Saw

Chiller