Welcome to Ohio Reef!

As a guest you can only see a small portion of our online content. Please register it is free and only takes a minute. Click here to Register now. 

Author Topic: Algae surrounding the encrusted base of SPS frags  (Read 144 times)

Offline casper320

• Premium Member
  • Fry
Algae surrounding the encrusted base of SPS frags
« on: August 01, 2019, 13:31:11 »
Does anyone have a good solution to this? Algae seems to like the spots in-between where the epoxy/rock meets the encrusted base of an acro frag. Is it better to just leave it alone and let the acro encrust over it? Before anyone asks they are healthy and colorful frags, I'm only curious from a growth rate perspective. I'm wondering if scrubbing the algae off, which would stress the acro out, would be worth it. I'm wondering what other acro experts have to say.

Offline Reeferntraining

• Premium Member
  • Elder
Re: Algae surrounding the encrusted base of SPS frags
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2019, 16:17:34 »
What type of algae are we talking about? Got a pic? Iíve got vermitid snails that grow calcerous tubes. They love to get on frags. My Walt Disney is in a battle with one right now and they are about neck and neck outgrowing each other. So my opinion would be, if an acro can overgrow a vermited, algae should be a non starter.

Club Tools

Par Meter

Fish Trap

Thermometer

Suction Cups

Manjo Wand

Laser

Chemistry Kit

Hole Saws

Frag Saw

Chiller

Stats