2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: 20 long lps/softie build thread  (Read 3490 times)

Offline Reefinmike

• was Illnino
20 long lps/softie build thread
« on: November 01, 2009, 20:09:15 »
Im trying to recreate this 55 that I had a few years back, just on a smaller scale.

Today, I created my oddity of a stand, took 2 minutes to build. I stripped the sides off the stand I had for my 37 column, and screwed on my old desk. I kinda like the look, and love the fact that it was free and I used things i was going to throw away. Im going to paint everything black, dress up the lower part of the stand a little, and cut out a board for the 20 gallon sump. The tank is drilled, for lighting i am thinking 2x65w PC, and whatever light i can find to fit in the small space above the fuge. Filtration provided by filter socks and the relatively large fuge.

Offline rayviv

• Here fishy, fishy.
Re: 20 long lps/softie build thread
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 17:15:56 »
The first pic, coral to the right of center, What is that please?
and I like the pink one too. Thats a nice setup.
The mind is a wonderful servant but a dangerous master!

Offline Reefinmike

• was Illnino
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 17:23:56 »
I have taken care of the lighting for the Fuge. Bought these really bright led strips at ikea, 4 different strips with 12 bulbs each, you can change the color to deep blue, light blue, white, red, purple, green, and yellow. These were perfect because of the very limited space above the fuge. Now, I have 3 strips above the sump, and I will have one above the main tank. These double their purpose, because I can go to moonlight mode at night!. As for the main tank, I am going to do 2 24" VHO bulbs. I was thinking power compacts, but I already have an Icecap 430, and VHO actinics are just not something you can get in PC.

ray, I forget what it was. It wasnt a scolynomia, I think it is a Cynarina Lacrymalis

Offline rayviv

• Here fishy, fishy.
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 18:55:10 »
I have been looking for some moon lites and those would be great. And a strip of red for nite viewing. So where is ikea at? And whats the cost? I'm excited now.

I'm talking about the coral just down to the left of the Clown. I dont think i've seen one of those before. I am really impressed with that tank and the stock. :o

Offline Reefinmike

• was Illnino
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 19:32:34 »
they are kinda expensive... $50.  it is 4 10" strips, 12 lights per strip. you can stick them all togeather end to end, have them connected with short connecting wires, or have four seperate light sticks. They are very versatile, and can be 7 different colors- white, light blue, dark blue(moon light), green, red, yellow, purple.

yeah, the coral down to the left of the clown- think its cynaria, they sell them as "doughnut corals". Ikea is in westchester, like exit 25 or so off I-75. I am supprised you have never heard of it, it is a Massive store. by the way, that was an old tank of mine- what im trying to recreate in my 20.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 19:58:20 »
vary nice
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline rayviv

• Here fishy, fishy.
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009, 20:07:30 »
Even at 50.00 it is what I've been looking for. Boy thats like 100.oo bucks for lunars. What dept. did you find them in? Do you think Lowes/Menards has them? Can you send me the info on the packages so I can google?

Might be hard to recreate that tank on smaller scale.

Offline Reefinmike

• was Illnino
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2009, 20:13:30 »
I sent you a pm-

It shouldnt be too difficult to get a similar look. Ive laid out the rock I have going around the left, back, and right panel so I have a big open space in the center.

Offline Reefinmike

• was Illnino
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2009, 01:27:33 »
yesterday, I put sand in the tank, added 10 scarlet hermits and a "mini" cleanup crew from coral ranch.

total cost so far-$61 (leds=$50, hermits= $11, cleanup crew= $0.00!!!)