2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Apex EB8 Failure? ? ?  (Read 4840 times)

Offline Agame43

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Apex EB8 Failure? ? ?
« on: May 06, 2017, 11:39:41 »

Well Senco de Mayo was good but waking up this morning was not. The saltwater powers to be decided over night to test my patience and will power. Is it not funny how this hobby has this magic to it when all is well but then booooyaah here comes the boomerang back at you.

My question to the group is has anyone ever seen an "EB8 Apex power strip" fail? I went to the basement this morning where I have my sump and found about 6-8 gallons of water on the floor, 2nd skimmer off, heater off, Alk dose on and one return pump off. It appears that the EB8 has multiple zones out or off and the green power button is off even though it is plugged into to a power source. I guess the water on the floor was from the tank or system shutting down, refilling once back on (R/O) and possibly shutting down again and overflowing?

Odd findings:
 - Green power indicator lamp is off
 - Some outlets do have power
 - USB does work because I 2 other EB8's running off the one in question
 - APex Fusion does say (probe reading)that my pH is high but I tested twice and it is still ok for now. I may do a small water change in a bit
 - The second tank that is running off this EB8(BUS cable) is doing fine, all is working as normal.

One other question is the "reset button" on the EB8 just a push/reset and forget or is there a fuse inside that need replacing?

Any help or advice would be great. My guess is to buy another EB8 and replace this one, the system is kinda limping along for now.

Thanks, Rick

Offline Grymtooth

• Adult
Re: Apex EB8 Failure? ? ?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2017, 13:27:43 »
I think the reset just flips the "breaker" that's in it. Sounds like a short somewhere for it to pop also. Haven't had experience like that, but I would consider replacing.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2017, 14:28:21 »
I had an older DC4 fail.   These are the devices that take most of the daily switching abuse, so, yes, it's likely.  Unless the green LED is fried too, it should be green or amber.   If you had fallback states set, the outlets may be on based on that information.

I'm assuming this is an Apex Classic.  I would log into the web interface (Not fusion) and goto "Configuration" "Module Setup"

Look on that page, and it will tell you what is communicating.  If that EB shows missing, then indeed, its not communicating.  Sounds like it needs replaced, they do have a repair service too.

Offline Agame43

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2017, 14:41:33 »

Grmytooth and Wall_Tank,  Thanks for the help and tips.

Wall_Tank can you take a snap shot of this "web interface" page and post it, I'm not sure where to look for this?

Thanks,

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2017, 15:13:21 »
Open a web browser and navigate to the IP address of your apex.

Offline Agame43

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2017, 19:51:01 »

ok, I have that open, mine looks newer, is that ok but it does not directly tell me if an EB8 is running or not?

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2017, 07:53:53 »
I have the latest software......which apex do you have?   

It should say ok, or missing.

Offline Agame43

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2017, 20:11:46 »

Wall_Tank, I typed in my IP address and they want a username/password for authentication? I have never logged into this before, not sure what to use? My version is outdated, I have a notification on my Access bar at ApexFusion. I am trying to "backup" what I have and then load the latest version, somewhat confusing?
  If I get my IP accepted will I end up on the page that you are showing in this post?

thanks,

Offline Agame43

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2017, 20:13:45 »

I bought a new EB8 as well and it is acting very funny as well. Once again some outlets work, some work and ignore my program - do what they want. I did cycle power numerous times, changed out to a new USB cable but nothing so far.

Offline Agame43

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2017, 20:20:26 »

This is Apex Fusion but on this page there is no "configure area" correct? Thus the need to log in your IP to go to the web version of the controller?

Offline Agame43

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2017, 20:34:10 »

I have never been to the APEX page that you are showing me in your post above. I went into my Fusion, reprogrammed outlet 8 with a min on / min off cycle hooked a lamp up to the outlet and nothing? The lamp does not come on during the timeframes that I entered? the date and time are correct on my Aqua Controller Display and Comm is On which tells me it is communicating.

Offline Agame43

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2017, 22:03:26 »

Hey one more update, I did manage to update to the newest version 4.51. I went through the Neptune site and followed their instructions, after a couple of attempts I finally got the update correct. Quit a process, dang, hope that these do not happen very often.

I need to see now if my issue with the EB8 is any better, got my fingers crossed. Running out of ideas slowly?

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2017, 22:45:35 »
With the Apex Classic that you have, there is no module configuration in Fusion, it all has to be done via the internal web pages.
 Also, when you remove the old EB8 and plug in the new one, the new EB8 will likely have a new address.  So any programming would need to be setup to the new module.

Can you take a screen shot of your modules setup......this is what mine looks like.   If you would like, I can give you my fusion address, and you could add me to read only profile, and I would be happy to look around.  (But again, I cannot see module configuration in Fusion)

Offline Agame43

• Adult
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2017, 23:41:45 »

Wall_Tank,
 Many thanks, you are correct with the New EB8 getting a new address. I was always one address behind that is why my control from my programs I was seeing on the Fusion Dashboard never worked, dang. The Dashboard said yes but the program never made it to EB8_14. It's pretty crazy when you have to put all of these steps in sequence in order to get the correct results from Dashboard to the Outlet.

Once again thanks for the help, I have been reading, updating and testing since 5:30pm this evening, kinda worn out now. I learned a ton of new things over the last 6 days so not all lost.

Offline Agame43

• Adult
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2017, 23:45:15 »

My Fug LED is now following the program that I set up in the Dashboard and being reapplied correctly at the outlet. The one that I am nervous about is the heater, I have it configured but I need to watch it for a bit longer. Does this heater program look pretty solid?

Heater Program:
Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Tmp < 77.6 Then ON
If Tmp > 78.2 Then OFF
Defer 002:00 Then ON
Defer 001:30 Then OFF
If Tmp < 70.0 Then OFF

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2017, 00:51:25 »
I think all you need is this. The defer isnt necessary because temp wont change that fast to cycle heater with the on temp being 1/2 degree less then off temp.

Fallback OFF
If Temp < 77.6 Then ON
If Temp > 78.2 Then OFF

Offline Agame43

• Adult
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2017, 10:58:12 »

Brian, thanks and correct. I did have just that code but it is always scary to say "how many backups for protection do I really need".

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2017, 11:22:31 »
The best backup for the heater is to set the thermostat on the heater itself to just a touch higher than your programmed setpoint

Offline Agame43

• Adult
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2017, 11:25:39 »

Well let me ask this then, I run a 500W Ti heater with no controller other than the EB8 & Apex? Is this ok?

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2017, 11:47:19 »
Quite a few do it, but there is no protection from a stuck outlet, or a failed heater(cold)

I run 3 smaller heaters......if one were to stick on, it could not cook my tank.  And if one fails, my tank won't get too cold.