2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Advice on Cyano  (Read 4082 times)

Offline Brians937

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Fry
Advice on Cyano
« on: June 18, 2010, 00:30:25 »
So I was going threw and reading all the horrid problems people were having and I was learning I lot of what and what not's and ran across CYANO! I had big problems with this and was at a friends house whos dad has MANY marine tanks. I asked him is he had any clue what it was and how to get rid of it. He came to my house told me it was cyano or red slim and 5ml of Vodka would solve my problem. So I had nothing else to to loose and did it. With in 4 hrs there was alot of cyano floating the water column I netted what I could and went to bed. When I woke up almost all of it was gone and i had to clean my filter sock. That was the end of my cyano. Dont know why or how but it worked. None of my fish seemed affected by it, and my coral was well on its way out being over ran by cyano anyway. But what coral  had left did make it back.

Offline HUNGER

Re: Advice on Cyano
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 08:15:56 »
thats great
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 10:13:41 »
Thats odd. Typically with vodka dosing you see a Cyano bloom after sometime. I know I did after I dosed for a few weeks.

Offline Coral Squad

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 10:17:06 »
how big of tank

Offline Brians937

• Fry
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 11:24:23 »
48 bow front

Offline Kenn

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 13:33:58 »
WOW ... I have always read that Vodka is a carbon source that feeds them
Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010, 22:06:48 »
I'm going to suggest heavily against will-nilly vodka dosing. While it is a powerful tool in our arsenals, it should be well researched before use. That being said, I'm glad it worked for you Brian :) 
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline chromiumlux

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2010, 22:08:51 »
Increase flow and water changes
Chromiumlux

Offline ghurlag

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2010, 22:33:44 »
In my case, when increased flow, water changes, and a new skimmer didn't do anything, I bought a sea hare.  I've had this thing int he tank since Sunday and WOW what a difference!  For the sand bed, I got a couple conchs, and they are doing a bang up job as well. 

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2010, 00:09:22 »
I'm going to suggest heavily against will-nilly vodka dosing. While it is a powerful tool in our arsenals, it should be well researched before use. That being said, I'm glad it worked for you Brian :) 

Very heavily researched, and monitored. In my opinion having Vodka dosed on and off. I think its kind a of a fluke. Did your water cloud up? Excess dosing sucks up all available nutrients, including those needed for your corals, and oxygen for your fish. Cyano is a part of the cycle, I suspect it will return at some point.

As stated, a sea hare, water changes, and manual removal is best. 

Offline harleyrider

• Adult
  • If you have to ask, you cant afford it!
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2010, 09:32:23 »
NEVER put anything in your tank that you cant test for, it just makes your tank a ticking time bomb...its sad but you see people doing this stuff, and the next thing you know your reading how their tank crashed and they just cant figure out how it happened duh.....

Offline Brians937

• Fry
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2010, 18:38:51 »
NEVER put anything in your tank that you cant test for, it just makes your tank a ticking time bomb...its sad but you see people doing this stuff, and the next thing you know your reading how their tank crashed and they just cant figure out how it happened duh.....

Not telling anyone what to do and what not to do just what has worked from me. It has been over a year and I have never had cyano back.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2010, 20:51:53 »
heck i never test un less i need to check something on maybe test 1 or twice a year
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Kenn

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2010, 21:04:57 »
heck i never test un less i need to check something on maybe test 1 or twice a year

:o NEVER say that out loud ! ... the Aquarium spirits will hear you and crash your tank  :laugh:

Now you have to do a water change to appease them  ;D
Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2010, 22:13:01 »
:o NEVER say that out loud ! ... the Aquarium spirits will hear you and crash your tank  :laugh:

Now you have to do a water change to appease them  ;D

Thats right :p

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2010, 23:48:25 »
i do one every week   and its true never
SIZE DOES MATTER