2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Vortec MP40wes  (Read 5650 times)

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
Vortec MP40wes
« on: October 17, 2013, 21:29:12 »
Picked up a couple of MP40wes for my tank. They are to replace two Hydor Koralia #8 12V Controllable Power head 's that put out 3500gph each. I have been considering a replacement for some time. With a new tank looming for the basement I would need some decent flow down there. My plan is to move the Koralia's to the basement and get something new for the display. The Koralia's have been great pumps, reliable, quiet and great flow. They are pretty large so I was looking for a smaller footprint. It was between a set of used MP40's or the newer WP40's. The MP40's fell into my lap from a reefer friend. He had an extra set that was only used for a couple weeks (actually didn't looked used, still in original packing). They were made mid 2013 and the price was good so I went for it.

Pulled out the Koralia's and installed the MP40's this evening. I was really pleased with how little space they took up in the tank. Hardly noticeable. However when turning them on I immediately knew that they weren't likely going to work out. With all the reef gear in the basement the display tank is very quiet. I enjoy that room a lot. Read books in there, surf the web on the ipad and tank watch of course. I have gotten used to the quiet place. Unfortunately that all changes with the high speed humming coming from the Vortec pumps. Even at 50% (half power) it is to loud for me. I can hear them in every room on the main floor. At 100% I can hear them upstairs. The flow is good at 100%, pretty much the same as what I had with the Koralia's but the noise is just to much for me. The other con is that I can't angle it to adjust where the flow is. This requires me to put toward's the front of the tank to keep from pointing directly at a coral. Their is a lot of neat features with these pumps with the unique mode's, battery backup ready and small foot print however the noise is likely going to just be to much. I am going to give them an honest shot and hopefully over time I will get used to the noise but I have my doubts.

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
Re: Vortec MP40wes
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 22:26:01 »
That sucks about the hum. Hope you can get them to quiet down a enough for you.

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 22:35:56 »
I was on the fence when I got mine as well......for pretty much to same reasons you posted.....but I've had way too many BAD experiences with leaking electricity into my tank.  For that sole reason I fought through it and learned to live with them.  I had to move a few corals, but I'm glad I stuck with them now. 

Offline PlayeroPuertoRico

• Juvenile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 00:09:38 »
That's interesting to hear because I've had a few past customers mention to me how they were having problems like the one you mentioned with their mp10s, they contacted the company and there were actually some recalls and things for certain models. (If I'm not mistaken) but I do know they had the problem resolved and all I've seen are pretty silent. The mp60 I have is pretty quiet also. Maybe contact their customer support about that? Let me know if they help if not I may be able to!

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Offline itsalifestyle

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 09:45:38 »
I have the same problem with both of mine mp40 but I have just lived with it if you decide to sell let me know I'm interested but also I have looked into seem a lot of people put new bearing in and solves problem but you lose  warranty

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 10:21:26 »
Mine are just annoying as my lazy boy sits at the end of the tank, and the MP40 is right there.   If your more than a few feet away I don't notice them with all the kid, tv, and dog noise is the house.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 10:55:49 »
I didn't even think of the noise factor when you were talking about getting them.  Your tank is super silent upstairs.

One thing is to make sure that you have the pin spacer set correctly, and the wet side is freely turning.   The motors "whine" more when there is a lot of load from the wet side.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 12:39:17 »
I think most would be okay with the noise, I am hypersensitive to back ground noise. However over time I may be able to tune it out.

Offline mrfish183

• Fry
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2013, 00:22:55 »
The Vortech noise doesn't bother me since everything is in the basement.  However, I don't like having to replace the wetsides every couple of years.  At $90 a pop, that gets expensive for an already expensive pump.  The newer wetsides appear to last longer than the ones from a couple years ago.  I also don't like the lack of directional flow control and the tendency for small snails to shut-down the pumps.

Net, I started switching to Tunzes a few years ago.  These take more room but are flawless.  I never have to do anything to them plus they are really quiet.  I still have two Vortechs but will probably replace them w/all Tunzes when the drysides finally go... 

Offline chromiumlux

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2013, 16:49:57 »
I replaced the bushings and drive shafts on mine with this wet side maintenance kit. They are pretty quiet. Like Walltank said, making sure the pin spacers are set correctly is a must with these. Plus, finding the sweet spot by adjusting them helps.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4588+23623&pcatid=23623
Chromiumlux

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2013, 17:05:28 »
I am pretty sure everything is setup correctly and this is normal noise however I wouldn't mind either coming by or you coming here to confirm

Offline Viggen

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2013, 17:44:10 »
For them to be that loud something is wrong.  No way should you be able to hear them from far away especially from upstairs or a. Different room.

When I purchased my mp60's which also sit a few few behind my head when they were at full speed I could hear them 20 or so feet away.  At mid speed they are silent......I played with them adjusting how the wet and dry side lign up and they are now much quieter.  Off just a fraction of a inch and they make all kinds of racket. 
300g tub o fish

Offline chromiumlux

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2013, 23:04:17 »
I am pretty sure everything is setup correctly and this is normal noise however I wouldn't mind either coming by or you coming here to confirm

Brian, I may be able to stop over tomorrow eve some time for a brief check on those.
Chromiumlux

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2013, 23:27:19 »
I had a few folks come by that also have Vortec's and they all said the motor noise was normal. I purchased a couple WP40 and installed tonight. Very happy with this pump. Nice and quiet, plenty of different modes, strong flow. Look and operate similarly to a Tunze.

Offline Bucknutz

• OH-IO
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2013, 07:44:21 »
Lazy did you buy your wp40 from fish-street.com? Would one wp-40 be good for a 72?

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2013, 11:44:18 »
Perhaps a couple wp25 would be better then a single wp40.  Gives a bit more flexibility with the flow and getting in and around rock's and corals. Total flow of a WP40 would likely be enough but I am not sure if flow coming from a single direction would do it. I got mine through a friend. Could probably help get a group buy going on the WP25 and WP40 if there's interest.

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2013, 11:47:02 »
Perhaps a couple wp25 would be better then a single wp40.  Gives a bit more flexibility with the flow and getting in and around rock's and corals. Total flow of a WP40 would likely be enough but I am not sure if flow coming from a single direction would do it. I got mine through a friend. Could probably help get a group buy going on the WP25 and WP40 if there's interest.

Would be something to look into to. Can you get some info on it?

Offline Bucknutz

• OH-IO
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2013, 12:02:49 »

I'm interested in two wp25's then.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2013, 12:08:00 »
Okay let me check pricing and we will see if there is interest.

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2013, 12:54:06 »
Okay let me check pricing and we will see if there is interest.

Made a post for this topic to clean up your thread here Brian.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2013, 14:04:20 »
Thank you

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2013, 20:29:14 »
Hey Brian, you have me thinking about the wp40's for my tank now. Do you think they are to strong for your tank? Do you have them turned down? Just wondering if I should get two 40's or two 25's?

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2013, 07:46:06 »
I run them full on. Two are perfect for a 125-180 IMO. I am not sure about flow of wp25.

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2013, 10:27:45 »
I run them full on. Two are perfect for a 125-180 IMO. I am not sure about flow of wp25.

Thanks, I was cleaning my powerheads last night and they are only about 1 1/2 old. But one is a 850 gph and the other is a 1290 gph. They do ok. Just think I need a little more. Two wp40's is over 6k gph. That's like 4x the flow I have now. Is it possible to have to much flow?

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2013, 21:28:35 »
Yes it is possible to have to much flow. It can damage the flesh on corals and be a problem moving sand around. I have a Green Slimer that can't handle hardly any flow. The entire left side have no polyps and is flat. The branches instead of being round are more 1/2 moon shaped. This is the only coral I have this issue.