2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: blonde naso  (Read 2531 times)

Offline THE MAD REEFER

• Adult
blonde naso
« on: August 21, 2013, 16:32:33 »
I have a picky naso tang that since the misses brought him home will only eat caulerpa

I don't want to starve him but entill I find something else that he will eat does anyone have a bunch they want to get rid of as I read that it grows fast

I am also looking for a way to grow it fast, any ideas??????

Offline Neogenesis

Re: blonde naso
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 17:02:56 »
Mine was very picky as well when I first got him, fresh lettuce was the only thing he would eat until I could get him to pick at Nori and then other prepared foods as well.  Try multiple types, it may take a while.  Just be sure you buy organic so you don't introduce any pesticides or other nasties the factories or growers may put on there.

Offline THE MAD REEFER

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 17:08:57 »
I have tried nori, frozen cubes of a lot of diff things, homemade (did with a group a few months ago), flake, pellets, he don't want anything except my macro, had some macro algae in one of my hospital / quarantine tanks and he devoured the entire ball in 3 days, consisting of cheato, calurpa, and something else. the ball was about the size of a grape fruit, nothing else ate it except for him, gonna have to try the lettuce though.

Offline bobdino

• Juvenile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 21:52:15 »
I use seaweed that I get at krogers in the sushi dept. It's only 3.00 per pack and 100% natural

Offline volcano

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 11:27:03 »
I use seaweed that I get at krogers in the sushi dept. It's only 3.00 per pack and 100% natural

Yep, me too.  It's Nori seaweed wraps.  All the tangs love it.  I soak it in selcon and garlic and all my tangs love it.  I also feed them leafy greens found in the produce section at Krogers.

Offline Viggen

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 13:52:25 »
that's good to know.... off to Krogers to get the seaweed

Have a blonde naso coming tomrrow.... hopefully he won't be to difficult to get to eat
300g tub o fish

Offline Midwest Express

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 14:38:45 »
Yep, me too.  It's Nori seaweed wraps.  All the tangs love it.  I soak it in selcon and garlic and all my tangs love it.  I also feed them leafy greens found in the produce section at Krogers.

Same here.  When I had one of my 125's setup with tangs, I would also have some romaine lettuce and some nori clipped in various places.  I only used small sections of the nori as it can disintegrate pretty quickly and make a mess.  So small sections of that at a time and leafy greens.  Mainly romaine because of how strong it was.  It was always first to go!
"The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play."
Capt. James T. Kirk

Offline Viggen

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 14:46:57 »
is it still a good idea to use romain?  I thought I read somewhere that it wasn't suggested to do that any more?

I remember years ago doing romain, peas etc....... maybe I should get back into those habbits
300g tub o fish

Offline Midwest Express

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 14:51:29 »
is it still a good idea to use romain?  I thought I read somewhere that it wasn't suggested to do that any more?

I remember years ago doing romain, peas etc....... maybe I should get back into those habbits

Good call... if it has been found to be bad I want to know.  I haven't had any tangs in a couple years so I haven't fed with it in that much time.  Hopefully I wasn't treating my tangs poorly by feeding that to them... :-/
Capt. James T. Kirk

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2013, 14:58:22 »
I took the stance if he eats it.....it's keeping him alive until I get him on better foods.  Then I weaned him off the romaine.

Offline Viggen

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 14:58:49 »
I will try to find where I read it.... not sure if it was stated due to packaged foods now haveing the proper stuff in it for tangs..... or what the reasoning is.....

300g tub o fish

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2013, 15:10:09 »
From what I've read it's because nutritional value is very very low. 

Offline Midwest Express

• Adult
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2013, 15:34:57 »
From what I've read it's because nutritional value is very very low. 

If that is the case I guess keep an eye on color, shape, and size.  I never had any of mine that got thin or color faded.  I had a hippo, kole, and sailfin that all lived in the tank and fed from the romaine and nori and they were also bright with good shape and size!
Capt. James T. Kirk

Offline Steve

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2013, 15:37:51 »
Just an FYI, if our BSD group buy comes together they sell 3 different types of dried macro plus nori sheets. And Dave if your tang eats cheato also I could give you a good sized ball.

Offline volcano

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2013, 15:40:23 »
Yes, the nutritional value of lettuce it typically low.  Iceburg lettuce has no nutritional value.  However, you can use other varieties that are nutritious.  For example, organic cimarron red lettuce. I get it in the organic section of the produce department.  I also get my tangs to eat organic chard, organic kale, and organic dandelion.   I just peel the leafy parts of the plant away from the veins and midrib.  Then I soak the leaf in RO, selcon, mysis, krill, brine, squid, cyclops, garlic, and spirulina.  I rubberband a piece to a rock and drop it on the sand bed.  My tangs and Hoeven's wrasse tear it up.  I also use red and purple sea veggies and Nori from the super market.  It really seems like all my tangs like the variety and my inverts like the serpent crab, hermits, and snails also eat it. 

Offline bobdino

• Juvenile
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2013, 20:29:30 »
I thought I stopped using romaine was over pesticides. it has been years since I used it

Offline volcano

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2013, 20:34:34 »
Yeah, thats correct.   Also, the reason I only buy organic.