2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: What would a trigger do?  (Read 2691 times)

Offline Jeff V

• Fry
    • vmjeff.com
What would a trigger do?
« on: January 01, 2010, 18:30:31 »
I have a 90 gallon reef tank with a lot of softies, snails, crabs, 3 small damsels, hepatus tang, yellow tang, royal gramma.  I really want to get a picasso or clown trigger, but I fear the impact. 

What would happen if I introduced a clown or picasso trigger?

Offline bkvreef

• Adult
Re: What would a trigger do?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 18:34:24 »
I've only ever tried a niger trigger and it was not good and they are supposedly the more passive.  One word for you: LUNCH.

They are nice but I wouldn't.
Thanks and God Bless,
John

Offline larrynews

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 18:40:19 »
both have been know to be fine with tank mates and then do crazy on everyone. they will also eat your snails and such

Offline Kenn

• Lifetime Premium Member
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 18:59:49 »
I had a clown trigger for many years and They are my all time fav fish.... however as they get big they are a creative terror.
Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 21:04:15 »
i have a blue throat he does vary well
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline larrynews

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 22:14:36 »
blue throats have a very different temperament than clowns, clowns can get big and mean

Offline Rayman

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010, 22:31:15 »
if you "fear the impact " you all ready know what can happen, and it is more a ? is it worth the risk to you . If you have to have one of these fish and decided to try it , i would buy the smallest one you can and if as it grows you still love it as you do know you may want to build a fish only tank before it becomes a big problem.

JP2006

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2010, 22:40:05 »
If you decide on a blue throat, I think Coral Ranch still has one, but he is big. I just thought I would mention that so you can see it first and go local before trying to order one online and worry about shipping.

Offline larrynews

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2010, 10:00:27 »
blue throats would probably work i have had them in my reef in the past, but they jump, both of mine did. they are just not as good looking a fish.

Offline Viggen

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2010, 21:11:39 »
I am not sure I would try a trigger in a 90g but if you want to try one blue jaw or sargassum (sp) are all that could work.  I would think picasso's & all of those would be out due to snails, crabs & the royal g.....

300g tub o fish