2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: DIY Fish Food  (Read 8124 times)

Offline rayk

• Juvenile
Re: DIY Fish Food
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2009, 20:32:53 »
Thanks for info.  I use PremiumAquatics a bit, and tried to order some.  They are out at the moment.  - Rayk

Offline UDJustin

• Adult
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2009, 21:15:22 »
I have brightwells amino acids I got from Joel.
If you didn't know I'm kind of a big deal...

Offline rayviv

• Here fishy, fishy.
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2009, 16:24:33 »
OK its me the rookie again. What are Amino Acids? And how do you know how much to use? And what effect do they have on the corals or fish?

Thanks in advance. Ray
The mind is a wonderful servant but a dangerous master!

Offline ghurlag

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2010, 14:05:58 »
It's always better to ask forgiveness than to ask permission

Reefd Up

« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2010, 16:44:08 »
Ray, sorry we all apparently missed this question (you just *had* to ask the day after Christmas, huh?...lol).  Amino acids are comprised of proteins and act in corals similar to the way they act in people.  For example, some corals have (and others are missing) a particular type of amino acid that basically acts as a "sunscreen" to protect themselves against UV radiation.  Other amino acids are a food source for symbiotic bacteria in some corals.   

Scientists don't know the exact requirements of each type of amino acids or how much aquatic life needs (carnivores require a diet higher in amino acids than herbivores though).

Part of the BluCoral feeding method (which is what I lazily do) is a high-protein => high nutrient environment.  About an hour before the lights go off, I'll dose amino acids.  This puts the corals almost into a "feeding frenzy".  The polyps will extend further out, which will help them take in more food when fed (keep in mind though, that most corals get about 95% of their food from light though.)  An hour after dosing the amino acids, I'll add in the food I specially make for them.  The corals can take in as much food as they possibly can in this time (hence the high nutrient environment).  This gives corals a more vibrant bright color (as opposed to the low-nutrient systems like Zeovit or Prodibio that give a pastel-color to the corals.)  To prevent algae, there needs to be a good nutrient export system (like an oversized skimmer, etc.)   

Right now, amino acids are just one of those things that some people get great results with...so they use it.  Other people don't use it...still get great results though.  There isn't enough research on it to be honest.  I consider it just a food source...and one more bit of variety of food can't hurt IMO.

*shrug*

Offline rayviv

• Here fishy, fishy.
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2010, 21:20:20 »
thank you 4 the response..

Offline rayviv

• Here fishy, fishy.
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2010, 09:22:09 »
So when ru making this super food? Is it going to be a group buy? Can we buy or contribute ingredients?  :laugh:

Reefd Up

« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2010, 17:57:33 »
LOL, I just made enough to last me the next year.  I sold a few extra bags...but I need to keep the rest! 

Mike and I are planning a "Ohio Reef Workshop" similar to Lonnie's Acrylic Workshop.  DIY Food is on the list of ideas since it's easy and relatively cheap.  Members would be able to purchase the items after watching a demo or even make it themselves. 

Offline ghurlag

• Adult
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2010, 18:03:12 »
Important question here...  Do you use the same blender for fish food as for people food?  I mean, if I am visiting your house, and you offer me a smoothie, I would like to have all the information beforehand :)

slandis3

« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2010, 18:05:55 »
I want to do 2 types. The one Nikki made for mainly corals and 1 for fish. I am going to go price everything so we all have a good idea of the cost.

Reefd Up

« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2010, 18:10:01 »
Important question here...  Do you use the same blender for fish food as for people food?  I mean, if I am visiting your house, and you offer me a smoothie, I would like to have all the information beforehand :)

LOL!  I use the same food processor that I use for making meatloaf (about the only thing it's good for).  So, just avoid my meatloaf.  :laugh:  In all seriousness though, other than the fact it's raw seafood, it's quite safe for human consumption.

slandis3

« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2010, 18:14:29 »
I have an old food chopper thingy lol

Offline ghurlag

• Adult
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2010, 18:17:35 »
I never said I WOULDN'T, I just wanted to be informed :)  My wife just got a Healthmaster (thing is freaking monstrous!), so our old blender is up for grabs.  I might have to employ it once I get the tank stocked.  I don't think she would let me use the magic bullet.

--Yeah, we buy infomercial kitchen utensils sometimes

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2010, 19:40:56 »
I never said I WOULDN'T, I just wanted to be informed :)  My wife just got a Healthmaster (thing is freaking monstrous!), so our old blender is up for grabs.  I might have to employ it once I get the tank stocked.  I don't think she would let me use the magic bullet.

--Yeah, we buy infomercial kitchen utensils sometimes
but if u call in the next 15 min cuz we cant do this all day  well double ur order  lol
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline ghurlag

• Adult
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2010, 20:18:00 »
Thank you, Ron Popeil!!  Showtime Rotisserie rules!

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2010, 20:25:18 »
yup lol
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2010, 22:58:40 »
Nikki, Will gave me a little bit of this and my Neon's are going crazy for it! Well done, I'm down for some next time you make a batch!
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2011, 17:09:32 »
Did this workshop ever take off? Sounds like an interesting recipe... would be neat to try it..
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline thepipbull

• Adult
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2011, 21:07:20 »
hey Boonjob here is a good site for making food

Offline slandis3

• Slandiscreations
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2011, 21:08:37 »
We could do a work shop in July if everyone wanted to.

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2011, 22:05:13 »
I don't see the site pip, And I personally like that idea slandis, hopefully we can get something going.
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline thepipbull

• Adult
« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2011, 22:09:42 »