2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Salt  (Read 28169 times)

Offline andys1982

• Adult
Re: salt choice survey
« Reply #100 on: March 07, 2012, 18:33:04 »
Salt is not salt.  Drop some instant ocean (the regular stuff, not the crystals or whatever) in a 5 gallon bucket of water and see how long it takes to clear up.  We are talking hours.  There are also serious differences in the trace mineral content etc. between brands of salt as well.  I use tropic marin when I can afford it.  Mix up a bucket and it's completely clear in like 10 minutes. 

Offline Reefinmike

• was Illnino
« Reply #101 on: March 07, 2012, 21:38:32 »
ive been using instant ocean for 7 or 8 years with no problems. I NEVER have problems with it dissolving all the way, only have had that problem with RSCP and seachem salt. a 5 gallon bucket of IO clears up in about 45 seconds for me. If im using it on a reef tank, i simply throw in a little calcium chloride salt, a dash of magnesium chloride and a pinch of baking soda.

Offline Blown76mav

• Adult
« Reply #102 on: March 07, 2012, 22:58:19 »
Salt is not salt.  Drop some instant ocean (the regular stuff, not the crystals or whatever) in a 5 gallon bucket of water and see how long it takes to clear up.  We are talking hours.  There are also serious differences in the trace mineral content etc. between brands of salt as well.  I use tropic marin when I can afford it.  Mix up a bucket and it's completely clear in like 10 minutes. 

You need to stop by when I make 40 gallons, clears up in minutes.  Never had a problem with IO.  I doubt a 5 gallon bucket with IO would even get cloudy at my house, might try just for the thrill of it.

Offline Steve

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #103 on: March 08, 2012, 02:42:25 »
I have never had issues with IO either, it clears up and dissolves very quick.

Offline Reefinmike

• was Illnino
« Reply #104 on: March 08, 2012, 02:51:30 »
i go through about 8 bags of IO a month, never a problem and very very cheap compared to others

Offline The WuSue

• Adult
« Reply #105 on: March 08, 2012, 08:14:56 »
I used IO for almost 2 years and didn't have a problem mixing, as long as the water was to temp (78-82). The reason to switch up to the more expensive salts are the trace elements. It cuts back on the amount you have to dose, and also clears up the unknowns like strontium and molybdenum.

Offline andys1982

• Adult
« Reply #106 on: March 08, 2012, 16:51:10 »
I've got both brands here right now, guys, TM dissolves almost instantly and I have two bags of IO that both take forever to dissolve.  This is the first time I've used IO.  I got both bags of IO from the same place, and they've sat around for awhile, so maybe they are contaminated.  Either way I buy the Tropic Marin for the supposed completeness of trace minerals and such.  I am sure the IO is adequate though, and didn't mean to offend anyone, I was simply using that as an example of differences, however inaccurate it may be.  Happy reefing!

Offline Vinnbelle1

• Fry
« Reply #107 on: March 09, 2012, 15:58:02 »
For the people who are using Brightwell salt, could you give the reasons why you like it more?

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
« Reply #108 on: March 09, 2012, 16:14:59 »
THREAD "SALT CHOICE SURVEY" HAS BEEN MERGED WITH POLL: "SALT"; FOR INTEGRITY...
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline slandis3

• Slandiscreations
Re: Salt
« Reply #109 on: March 09, 2012, 21:58:09 »
I like the brightwell as it has raised my calcium, alk, and mag levels up higher so I dont have to dose as much. It also mixes cleaner that rscp does.

Offline Marine_freak

• Juvenile
Re: Salt
« Reply #110 on: January 10, 2014, 23:35:11 »
I use Oceanic.  I don't have a lot of corals.  Has anyone used Brightwell?
Love it... Really fine and clears within minutes after mixing......
A Indonesian fisherman once stated if we blow up the coral reef we have no future...... But if we do not we no way to feed my family now...... How sad the circumstances are today that ruin the opportunity of the future!