2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Invite from our friends at CincyReef - Jan 7 John Coppolino guest speaker  (Read 3522 times)

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
January 2012 "Kick-Off" Meeting
The Cincinnati Reefkeepers Society is happy to invite everyone to our 2012 "Kick-Off" Meeting. Featuring special guest speaker, John Coppolino!

January 7, 2012 - 2:00pm-5:00pm

Cincinnati Nature Center - Rowe Woods
4949 Tealtown Road
Milford, Ohio 45150

Members and non-memebers welcome!

Join us as we welcome avid marine aquaria writer and angelfish expert John Coppolino (Copps) as our special guest speaker! The meeting will be held in the Visitor Center Auditorium at The Cincinnati Nature Center's scenic Rowe Woods. Lunch will be provided by the club.

The Cincy Reef "Give-Back" raffle will be held after John's presentation. All club members (including those who sign-up/renew the day of) will be eligible to participate in the HUGE free raffle featuring dry goods and corals!

Tell us if you're coming in the
January Meeting thread!

Offline HUNGER

great who all is going
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline aquavista99

I am going. I will be the person picking John Coppolino (Copps) up at the airport and bringing him to the meeting, etc.  This will be an amazing event to attend. John Coppolino probably has the largest private collection of rare angelfish in the World and his SPS coral collection is second to none ... I have some of his SPS gems in my reef as well. Copps is a regular on the national speaking circuit and is one of only two hobbyists to win the Reefcentral Tank of the Month honors, twice. John was recently featured in Tony Vargas' new book, The Coral Reef Aquarium, as well.

Check out his amazing collection of rare fish and corals in this HD video:

Offline aquavista99

Bump for a great event!  It doesn't get any better than this .... Free admission, distinguished guest speaker & free lunch provided by the club.  :-ThumbUpsm  Here are a few pictures from John's (Copps) presentation in Columbus (CORA) from last year.

Offline HUNGER

so who is going i would like to catch a ride maybe
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline aquavista99

Just one more day left until the Kickoff meeting featuring distinguished guest speaker John Coppolino (Copps)... Cincyreef will be providing sandwiches, drinks and snacks for everyone who attends as well.  :-ThumbUpsm

Offline Viggen

Does he talk mostly about reef stuff or does he talk fish/angels/etc?

Not sure I can make it... would be cool to check out

300g tub o fish

Offline jeblin

• Adult
Just a side note, but this is also their yearly "give back" raffle for Cincyreef's paid members too. If you are a paid member, I think its guaranteed you'll be coming home with something. You can pay the dues at this meeting and still get into the raffle. If memory serves, they have given away quite a few very nice items in the past (full halide setups, tanks, complete RODI setups, etc). Unfortunately, I didn't pay my dues there this year, or I would try to find some of the giveaways they've done in the past.

Offline aquavista99

FYI- John's topic for Saturday's meeting: "Modern Fish Keeping in Reef Aquaria." .....The days of reef systems with just a few fish sprinkled throughout are over!!

As many aspects of the marine aquarium hobby have evolved at the speed of light, others have not. One of these most misunderstood and outdated branches involves fish keeping. Many people have for years used the "Dump and Hope Approach" when it comes to adding fish to their reef tanks, avoiding proper quarantine and transitioning methods that will help develop a stunning and healthy display of fish in a reef system.

One of my fish keeping principles has always been "it's not WHAT you mix, but HOW you mix." In this talk I'll touch on many other aspects I've learned in over 20 years of fish keeping, showing beautiful healthy systems throughout including some interesting or rare reef fishes that would be good options for long term success in home aquaria. The days of reef systems with just a few fish sprinkled throughout are over!! "Modern Fish Keeping in Reef Aquaria" is of interest to anyone who keeps fish!

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
Sounds very interesting!  Wish I could have made it.  Too much scheduled at the same time.  Anyone know if he has You Tube or vids of his talks that can be watched on line?

Offline Viggen

I want to go but to much going on at home with the nice weather...... looking forward to some updates on how it went
300g tub o fish

Offline HUNGER

I want to go but to much going on at home with the nice weather...... looking forward to some updates on how it went
ya tore off and put on a roof today who would have known  in january
SIZE DOES MATTER