2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: What is this  (Read 3934 times)

Offline Dstyles

• Got to keep on pushing!
  • Adult
What is this
« on: March 09, 2009, 18:51:32 »

What is this brown/beige stuff on my LR and should I be overly concerned?   To me it looks like some sort of debris but don't know????  Any help would be appreciated.
One Day At A Time

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
Re: What is this
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 19:13:09 »
Looks like a build up of debris. Have you tried squirting it with a turkey baster or fanning your hand near it to see if it blows off?

Offline Dstyles

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 19:33:08 »
Yes.  It will blow and/or rub off.  Is it harmful? What can I do to get rid of it and stop it?
One Day At A Time

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 20:21:02 »
Yes.  It will blow and/or rub off.  Is it harmful? What can I do to get rid of it and stop it?

Adjust your flow so it blows the debris off the rock.

Offline Dstyles

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 21:18:55 »
I read up on the Dinoflagellates and it doesn't have the same characteristics.  But to be safe I am going to try the specific cures the article calls for.  First and foremost, I will set up my phosband reactor as soon as I get from work tomorrow.  If I didn't have to get up at 4 in the morning, I'd be working on it now.  I will also begin to raise my PH which is currently at 8.2.  I checked around 4 oclock today.  I heard someone say it is always something with this saltwater!  Everyone told me this hobby was much more work than cichlids but it is still much more rewarding too! ;) LL, I am going to try to beat it.
One Day At A Time

Offline larrynews

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 21:22:15 »
are you talking about the stiff that looks like dirty cotton balls if so i have that in mine for 5 years usually on the bottom of the rocks out of the light, never noticed it doing anything to the tank. i would not get all worked up over it, but thats just me

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 21:24:32 »
Here is the article on Dinoflagellates

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-11/rhf/index.php

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 21:24:45 »
That's not dinoflagellates, but setting up a phosban reactor probably won't hurt.  How are your nitrates and phosphates testing?  Looks like a form of algae with debris on it.  

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 21:27:01 »
are you talking about the stiff that looks like dirty cotton balls

Those are probably sponges. Very good to have!

Offline Dstyles

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009, 21:36:49 »
That's not dinoflagellates, but setting up a phosban reactor probably won't hurt.  How are your nitrates and phosphates testing?  Looks like a form of algae with debris on it.  

Nitrates are great just tested 0.  I do not have a test kit for phosphates will be getting one tomorrow from LFS.  It does look like dirty cotton balls, yes. 
One Day At A Time

Bigmoo

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2009, 21:40:23 »
I agree with the build up of detrius and the like. I used to have a lot of it as well, just knock it off.

Offline Dstyles

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2009, 21:42:43 »
are you talking about the stiff that looks like dirty cotton balls if so i have that in mine for 5 years usually on the bottom of the rocks out of the light, never noticed it doing anything to the tank. i would not get all worked up over it, but thats just me
It is on the back of the rocks but I have noticed a few little spots are now on the fron of one or two rocks.  I am going to adjust my flow and do the other stuff I talked about earlier to see what happnes.  You know us newbies or shall I say me, when I see something out of the ordinary, looking a little bit different, I start to get paranoid.  I don't want everything I have to crash and die.  I haven't been around the block much in this hobby. 
One Day At A Time

Offline larrynews

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2009, 21:52:55 »
i understands i made may mistakes when i started and still do, but i do redirect my flow every now and then, probably more than i should when i see build up of debris or stuff like that. but if the water is testing ok i wont panic, not yet there will be times for that...j/k

Offline Dstyles

• Adult
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2009, 21:59:31 »
i understands i made may mistakes when i started and still do, but i do redirect my flow every now and then, probably more than i should when i see build up of debris or stuff like that. but if the water is testing ok i wont panic, not yet there will be times for that...j/k
Yep, water tests fine and I certainly anticpate my share of foul ups!  Thanks for the info.  Thanks to all who weighed in.  And If anyone else has some more info, please, keep it coming.  Thanks again.
One Day At A Time