2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Need some help with micro bubbles  (Read 2623 times)

mb5322

Need some help with micro bubbles
« on: November 15, 2006, 14:08:04 »
You all have seen pictures of how my refuge is setup in compared to my tank, but we are having trouble figuring out how to get the overflow into the main tank without the millions of bubbles created from using the overflow. I can get rid of the bubbles using a straight siphon from one tank to the other, but that scares me, it's not dependable. and if you haven't seen the setup go here:  http://www.ohioreef.com/forum/index.php?topic=1104.30

any ideas would be helpful
Thanks,
Matt

Offline Secondgen

• Lifetime Premium Member
Re: Need some help with micro bubbles
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 15:05:41 »
This is just an idea, and it may be totally crazy, but what if you plumbed your overflow from the fuge into a second smaller tank that was just full of baffles? Then from that bubble trap tank it would be gravity fed into the main display. I am sure there are easier ways to handle this problem, but this just popped into my head.

mb5322

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006, 15:19:57 »
This is just an idea, and it may be totally crazy, but what if you plumbed your overflow from the fuge into a second smaller tank that was just full of baffles? Then from that bubble trap tank it would be gravity fed into the main display. I am sure there are easier ways to handle this problem, but this just popped into my head.

this would get rid of the bubbles (beyond the baffles) in the middle tank, but I would still get bubbles in the main tank from the water spilling into it. 
creative idea though

Offline scott wilson

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 15:53:28 »
What happens if you have a t at the last 90 on the return from the fuge and then have the outlet not have little holes but split the surface of the water.  I would just tinker with it.  Does the foam in the overflow box ad more bubbles?  Try the ball valve idea and have t before the ball valve with another drain back to the sump incase you restrict it too much.

slandis3

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2006, 17:24:08 »
you could build a bubble box. The box has a hole in the bottom of it. You put a peice of foam over the bottom hole the let the water from the fug run into the box. Have the box setup in the main tank so the foam is about 1" - 1.5" below the water surface. This worked great on an 20 long setup i had useing a berlin skimmer

Offline Reefinmike

• was Illnino
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2006, 18:28:40 »
you can use a filter sock or you can build a bubble tower.