2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: red algea  (Read 3046 times)

Offline Viggen

red algea
« on: December 06, 2006, 13:45:44 »
I have been getting that red slime algae or whatever it's called

Any thoughts on how to get rid of it?

It's in my 90g reef which uses PC lights (over a year old) & also get's RO water which I guess is also on the old side :(

300g tub o fish

slandis3

Re: red algea
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006, 14:37:43 »
Change your lights and get better water. You can get with Joel I think he has a trick for getting rid of the stuff. But you still need to fix the root problem

Offline Reefinmike

• was Illnino
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 16:13:39 »
fix what you think it is... th lights and the water

if that dosent work, evaluate the effectiveness of your skimmer, and test for phosphates... additional measures can be taken but are not usually as commonly a problem

mike

Offline Viggen

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 17:30:05 »
with the skimmer... it's a ok skimmer ASM G3

Doesn't work nearly as good as my other skimmer but hopefully it gets the job done

looks like I need to get some new cartridges for the RO unit, new lights (I have some MH 175w units laying around) & go from there
300g tub o fish

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 19:33:14 »
The pre-filters on your RO shouldn't really have any bearing. They just filter out sediment and chlorine.

Offline Secondgen

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2006, 19:47:08 »
I had a problem with red slime. Went to Joel's and he gave me a (magic) pill  ;D for my tank and within two days all slime algea was gone. Of course it came back because I did not fix the root of the problem, but still he does have something that will get rid of it.

Offline Reefinmike

• was Illnino
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2006, 20:08:01 »
my asm g4x works wonders. maybe you can improve your skimmers effenciency by doing the recirc mod.

Offline Viggen

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2006, 21:10:56 »
aaaahhh..... the magic pill :)  I think I will do the h20 change & possibly swap out the PC lights for 2 175w MH's that I have laying around.

With the skimmer.... I have all the stuff to do the RC mod I just haven't thrown it together.  It has never developed much dark nasty stuff because it's a PITA to adjust precisely.  The reaction chamber doesn't seem to fill up very well with bubbles & hopefully the RC mod will help.  I also have another pump that my ER came with that I could try.   
300g tub o fish

Offline Reefinmike

• was Illnino
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2006, 21:30:16 »
hmmm... my asm always is super frothy with bubbles. maybe clean the pump out?

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2006, 21:31:37 »
My ASM was very easy to adjust and, like illnino's, is always full of bubbles. Maybe you have an obstruction in the air line or pump somewhere.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2006, 07:18:37 »
I've had 2 ASM's and loved them both.

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2006, 08:23:23 »
Cyano is typically from phosphates. nitrates & lighting issues (could be all of these, one of these or a combination of any of them). Ideally your phosphates & nitrates should be at or very close to 0 PPM. Water changes is typically the better way to lower either of these if you discover a problem.  I don't suggest the use of absorbing type products such as phosban if you find you have high levels of phosphate. Phosban and clones work well at getting low levels down to 0 PPM but are mostly useless at getting high levels under control.If you question your test kit or just want to compare notes, bring me a water sample and I'll double check it for you.

Switching to metal halide will not correct this problem if the water quality issue is not corrected. Is it a new metal halide set up? Old metal halide lamps might be just a bad as old PC's. What is the kelvin temperature of the metal halides? Lower kelvin temperature lamps can sometimes cause undesirable algae outbreaks as well. Pc's are pretty cheap to replace, Let me know what you have and I'll give you a quote on replacing them. Might be cheaper and much easier for you to do.

I wouldn't blame the problem on your protien skimmer. Although it is ideal to have your skimmer working properly, plenty of people have aquariums with out protein skimmers and do not have cyano. Still, I would look into what is decreasing it's performance and try and get it running better.

Getting your ro "fixed up" could be helpful as well but I wouldn't place all the blame on it either. Again, plenty of people are running aquariums Using tap water without cyano present in the aquarium. Having said that, I still think it's better to use ro / di water for top off and water changes though. Have you tested you water coming out of your ro? A tsd or conductivity test would tell a lot about it's condition. Pre-filters and carbon blocks should be replaced no less than once per year, I would replace them about every 4-6  months or pesonally. As cheap as they are it's not a big investment and will significantly extend the life of your Ro membrane and Di cartridge if you have one. Chlorine very quickly "wears out" di media an I think chloringe is harmful to the ro membrane as well.

Another misconception I deal with a lot is "I use ro water, my tank can't have phosphates". This is a incorrect belief. Phosphates, much like nitrates are also a part of the metabolic process. Fish food, fish waste and other organics can and will develop phosphates in your aquarium.

My quick fix is basically  a weak dose of eurithromycian (spelling?) It'll kill cyano over night with out harming the aquarium's organisms. The cyano will return in a short amount of time though if you don't remove from the aquarium what aloud it to happen in the first place.

Let me know if there is any way I can help.

Joel

Offline Viggen

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2006, 08:54:28 »
your claiming that I am suppose to have a test kit?  I really do not know when I tested the water last time.... you probably did it at your old shop, that's how long it been :)  I need to stop by the shop today to get some salt actually & do a little h2o change.   

The MH's I would get new bulbs, no clue how old the ones are that I have.  Icecap ballast & the luminarcs as reflectors.  I guess I should just swap the PC's with some new bulbs & keep the MH's for another project. 

Can I get replacement RO cartridges at Lowes?  I think it's been 1-2 years since I replaced the cartridges.

I will do a h20 change & if that helps I will skim the medicine dose.  If it doesn't help I guess I can give it a try 
300g tub o fish

Charlie

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2006, 09:29:11 »
Joel has made alot of good points here. Cyanobacteria, or red slime algae can appear in your aquarium in a variety of colors. The most prevalent ones, though, are the red slimy which is how it gets its name. The slime you "see" is not the actual algae but what it exsudes. The actual algae are underneath. You need to find the root cause. If not your cyanobacteria will invariably re-appear because the "nutrients" they thrive on (dissolved organic material mostly) have not been eliminated from the tank. Cyanobacteria can be controlled through water changes but it may take awhile. Erythromycin will work but must not be over done. Just remember antibotic means anti life and reguardless of what is said it will remove some of the good with the bad. Step up your water changes, use activated carbon, and likely Polyfilter in your filter flow path. Check your nitrates and phos.. Remove what is causing the Cayno to grow.

slandis3

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2006, 10:56:09 »
You can replacment sediment and carbon blocks from lowes.