2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Shipping Practices and procedures  (Read 1469 times)

Offline volcano

Shipping Practices and procedures
« on: February 24, 2015, 14:52:20 »
I was curious to know how members here ship corals.  I have some methods that I have learned after shipping live harmless reptiles for the past 12 years.  Lately, I have been shipping quite a few corals as well and have had some challenges with the super cold weather the country has had.  Many of you probably Buy, Sell, and Trade to friends on FB or in other reef related groups online.  I would like to know any of your tips and tricks and I will show you some of the methods that I have learned.

The most important thing during these cold winter months is heat.  Since corals are in water, it is probably hard to bake them, unlike reptiles.  Therefore, I use 2- 40 hour heat packs and they get the job done.  Attached you can see detailed pics of the packaging.

First, I place a leak proof bag, inside a deli cup, fill the cup with tank water and add the coral.  I rubberband the bag and move to the next step:

Second, I cap the cup and seal the lid.  I tape it shut with packing tape and verify that there are no leaks:

Third, I place the cup in a second leak proof bag and rubberband it shut.  Then I place the cup in an insulated box and secure it, so that it doesn't move or shift during shipping.

Last, I secure the box.  I use insulated boxes that say "Live Harmless Reptiles or Animals, Perishable, Handle with Care, Keep upright".  Then I write in hot pink, "avoid extreme temps", "avoid extreme cold or heat"

On a final note, because our weather is so cold this time of year, I used 2 - 40 hour heat packs and I try to have them directly over the cup.  In the summer, I would likely use cool packs.  I wrap the packs in news paper, paper towles, etc. and then tape them to the inside of the insulated lid.  (Note: only 1 heat pack is on this lid.  This specific lid was going in a chameleon's box that were headed to LA.  Two heat packs would roast a chameleon. lol

Hope this helps anyone who plans on shipping corals in the future.  I have made mistakes in the past and hopefully my mistakes can help you avoid them.  If anyone has any tips for me or others feel free to post them here.  On a second note, I always pay to require a signature.  I have had reptile buyers file paypal claims and stated they never even received the items.  Luckily, I always require a signature, So all I had to do was provide the tracking info that showed the buyer signed for the package and they lost the claim.  Another good practice, is to snap a photo of the coral right before you pull it, then snap pics of the shipment.  There are a lot of scammers out there today, no need losing unnecessary $!

Thanks and Enjoy!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 15:14:22 by volcano »

Offline volcano

Re: Shipping Practices and procedures
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 15:10:50 »
Oh, and one other thing:  I tested the box and heat packs against the cold.  I left the box outside for 3 hours with a cup of water and 2 heat packs inside.  The water stayed at 74 degrees F and inside the box by the heat pack was 79 degrees F.  I am hoping FedEx doesn't leave boxes in cold that long, but you never know.  I also shipped 3 boxes last night in our single digit temps and all arrived successfully and the buyers were all very happy with the packaging and most important the condition of the corals, and in this case 2 panther chameleons also.  :)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 15:16:32 by volcano »

Offline Kenn

• Lifetime Premium Member
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 21:55:21 »
Nice post. ☺
Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 22:57:07 »
Looks good. Thanks for sharing.

Offline BuckeyeFan

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 06:42:06 »
Thanks for sharing !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk