2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Vanquish Calcium Chloride  (Read 3666 times)

Offline Steve

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Vanquish Calcium Chloride
« on: November 30, 2015, 21:10:35 »
I just wanted to pass this info on. If any of you are still using Dowflake or Peladow calcium chloride to make up your calcium solution for two part, you might be interested in this. Menards sells a brand called Vanquish. After checking the MSDS sheet provided, I spoke with the company that distributes this product. They told me it was the same as Pelodow, which they distribute, but was bagged as Vanquish specifically for Menards. I know most people use BRS or something similar, but I have used Prestone Driveway Heat, which is the same as Peladow, for at least the last 4 or 5 years in my tank. I am not promoting or promising anything, but for me the savings are significant and it has helped me to keep my tank running during some tough financial times. 1 gallon of BRS calcium chloride is about $20 plus shipping, I purchased a 50lb bag, equal to about 6 gallons, for $18. Again the choice is yours, I am just passing on the info. I know some people are worried about impurities and it is use at your own risk, but I have included the link to Randy Holmes Farley's article about making two part in case anyone hasn't read it and would like more info to help make a decision.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: Vanquish Calcium Chloride
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 22:54:23 »
Thanks for Sharing Steve,  definitely something to consider.

Offline Gary

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 01:04:25 »
Steve,
Thanks! You have done some homework and long term testing on this. Definitely a more cost effective alternative. (It would be nice to have a spectrum analyzer to check all this stuff out.)
Gary

Offline kscott

• Fry
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 17:29:20 »
Steve, Thanks for the info on the Vanquish! Do you mix your own magnesium per the R.H.F. directions? If so what do you use for the magnesium chloride and where do you buy it? It's the only ingredient that I can't find.

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 18:09:41 »
I do. I found mine here and ordered it through Brubaker Grain and Chemical in Collinsville. They will order it for you. Their link is on the right hand side of page.

https://www.southernstates.com/catalog/p-4692-magnesium-chloride-flake-50lb.aspx

Offline Gary

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2015, 18:47:53 »
Steve,
What do you use for alkalinity and where do you get it at a reasonable price?
Ty Gary

Offline kscott

• Fry
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2015, 20:01:11 »
Thanks Steve, <$20 for 50 LBS. I just paid $20 for 6 lbs from BRS. I wonder if we (Ohio Reef) could save any money on shipping to do a group buy.

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2015, 20:03:23 »
Steve,
What do you use for alkalinity and where do you get it at a reasonable price?
Ty Gary

Arm and Hammer, large box Walmart about $3. Also use Meijer brand baking soda when I shop there. I think a large box is equal in size to half gallon bulk.

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2015, 20:07:59 »
Thanks Steve, <$20 for 50 LBS. I just paid $20 for 6 lbs from BRS. I wonder if we (Ohio Reef) could save any money on shipping to do a group buy.

50lbs is a group buy! I bought a bag 2 or 3 years ago, used it on my sidewalk too and still have a third of a bag. If you drive over to Brubakers you won't have to pay any shipping.

Offline kscott

• Fry
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2015, 20:21:08 »
I googled  Brubaker's and found  Brubaker's Acres market in Freemont, Burgoon and Sandusky OH

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2015, 20:23:21 »
There is a link on the southerns states page. It is a big farm, east of Oxford, they will load it right into your vehicle.

Offline Gary

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2015, 20:29:33 »
Steve,
Thanks! This is getting better and more affordable. I'm going shopping tomorrow for reef supplies.
Gary

Offline kscott

• Fry
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2015, 20:45:48 »
Oxford... I can do that! I'd be more than happy to buy multiple bags if any one wants one.

Offline Gary

• Adult
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2015, 22:30:06 »
kscott,
If you are making the trip, I will take a bag maybe two if I need too. It does have more than one purpose! Let me know if you decide to make the trip.
Thanks,
Gary

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2015, 22:45:12 »
Here is the link to Brubakers, just call and ask them to order it for you.

http://brubakergrain.com/

Offline kscott

• Fry
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2015, 23:06:41 »
Gary I'd be happy to. It appears that Steve went above and beyond to set me up. I'll call them and ask when it will be in.

Offline Gary

• Adult
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2015, 00:37:54 »
I agree! Steve has really done a great job getting us information and saving us money! I did a store search for the products in my area and there is one in Xenia.  It is less than 10 minutes away. It may save a lot of time and effort on both of us. I plan on going there in the morning after I stop at Rural King. I will let you know how it turns out.
Thanks,
Gary

Offline kscott

• Fry
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2015, 17:43:11 »
Gary did you get a chance to find out if the place in Xenia has mag flakes in stock. I called Brubaker in Eaton and they said they would be happy to order it just as Steve said. I said I'd call next week to order it if I couldn't find it in stock anywhere. I'll order 2 bags if you need one.

Offline Gary

• Adult
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2015, 04:44:45 »
I did a lot of checking! I'll put all together and post it later today.
Gary

Offline kscott

• Fry
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2015, 15:19:59 »
Thanks Gary. take your time  I'm really in no hurry to get this.

Offline Gary

• Adult
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2015, 17:10:41 »
I checked at a few places in Xenia.
Trupointe/Coorperative - Xenia.
Calcium Chloride $21.50/50# bag in stock
Magnesim Chloride $21.50/50# bag (Must order at least a pallet)

Walmart - Xenia
Prestone Driveway Heat - Calcium chloride pellets $8.47/20# bag in stock
Morton Ice Melt – Calcium chloride $9/20 # bag in stock
Roadrunner (Looney tunes) Ice Melt – Sodium Chloride, Calcium chloride, Magnesium chloride $9/20# bag in stock
Baking soda – $2/4#

None competed with Steve's recommendation and he did all the work for us! I'll be moving to Vanquish and  Baking soda.

Looking at my past water test, my magnesium readings have not changed (1380) until I started using IQ Reef Crystals (1500). I have been dosing Ca and Kh daily and perform periodic water changes of 10% every 2 weeks.  I normally test Ca, Kh, and Mg just prior to the water change so I can adjust the dose. Should my system be consuming Mg?
Thanks,
Gary

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2015, 22:37:56 »
If it is consuming Cal and ALk it is consuming Mag. If your mag in the water change is 1500 it may be high enough to keep up with consumption.

Offline Gary

• Adult
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2015, 23:01:44 »
Mg appeared to be stable in the past. I will test before and after the next water change, so I can baseline it for the water change after that. I then can get a feel for the amount being consumed.
Thanks,
Gary

Offline Gary

• Adult
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2015, 14:30:18 »
kscott,
If you are going to order and pick up the Magnesium chloride flakes (50 #), please get me a 1 bag as well. I'll PM my cell number. I split the transportation cost too. Provided it isn't the cost of a new car!
Thanks,
Gary

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2016, 21:09:58 »
It looks as if this calcium chloride was/is at least partly if not totally the problem I was having with my SPS. Hope it has not caused anyone else any problems. Driveway Heat saved me big bucks for years, but it looks like Driveway Heat/Vanquish cost me big bucks this time. Again, didn't mean to steer anybody wrong, but I will admit that it looks like I was wrong on this one.