2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Upgrade/downsize. Froom 90 to 80rimless  (Read 4831 times)

Offline mrbh22

• Fry
Upgrade/downsize. Froom 90 to 80rimless
« on: January 06, 2016, 20:57:42 »
Hello everyone! I have been on here lurking for a while and since im in the process of switching from my starter reef tank to my new dream tank i figured i would show the process and try to introduce me and my tank (s).

My first ever aquarium is my current standard 90gal with the J-tube style overflow. I got the tank from a guy on craigslist wjo lived literally 2 blocks from my house. He had the tank set up for almost 2 years but was only a fowlr. The amount of GHA in the tank was quite amazing lol. Since i was new to the entire fish tank world i took his word that everything was good to go. So we moved the tank into my house and set everything up and it was good for about 3 months. I was doing water changes and testing the water and everything looked ok. I bought some cheap zoa frags to see if the tank was ready for corals and they literally melted in 2 days. I was a little confused but i attributed the loss to my lights not being sufficient and took a break from corals for a little. I took some of my water to montforts and had them test it for me and to my suprise my nitrates were over 500ppm. Like the test tube was blood red. :( . I then learned how important it was to shake bottle 2 very well. Then i did about 3 40gallon water changes and got the nitrates under control. (For now) so i added a couple more zoa frags and they did well. So i finally bit the bullet and wanted to try an lps and got a small torch frag from ideal. It wasnt a show stopper piece but it was a starter. That torch i still have and it has been through some serious water params and keeps on kickin. The nitrates kept spiking and i couldnt figure out why until someone asked what substrate i had. I was using the crushed coral from the guy who i bought the tank from. If i knew now what i didnt know then. So i started changing out the substrate. I would buy a bag of sand when i would get water to do my water change and suck up a section of crushed coral and replace with new sand. I did that over the course of a month. I have since purchased quite a few frags and i got bit by the sps bug about a year ago. I have quite a few corals and i am learning what types i really enjoy vs ones i just like. I have a few corals i probably should take to the frag swap but not too sure i know what to do when selling/ trading corals.

So the new tank is a deep blue rimless 80gal reef ready. I built myown stand following the plans that are on reefcentral diy stand template thread. I actually aquired some new tools and want to rebuild it already lol. Has anyone ever built a stand with pocketholes? The next step for me is cutting the baffles for the sump. I want to do just a simple skimmer/refugium/return setup. If anyone has tips on cutting the acrylic please dont be shy to offer up some. Then once thats done i need to figure out how to make the panels for the front and sides look presentable. If there are some carpenters on here i would gladly frag you up some coral to help me make the panels look presentable. So thats where i am with this current changeover. i want to have this to look back on and check my tanks progress.

I know this thread is worthless without pics. But i am on my phone and somehow my photibucket app is not on my phone anymore.  So im off to redownload the app and i will post some pics of the current setup along with the progress of the new tank.

Thanks for taking the time to read my rambling!

Mike

I

Offline mrbh22

• Fry
Re: Upgrade/downsize. Froom 90 to 80rimless
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 21:17:37 »

Thats where i am as of rite now.  I did get a coat of kilz primer on the stand but like i said earlier im not 100%sure im going to use this one.

Offline Keith92

• Keith92
  • Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 21:30:28 »
Rimless looks great! Keep posting pics

Offline Topekoms

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 23:40:33 »
How are you going to skin that stand? or are you going with just an open frame?

Offline mrbh22

• Fry
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 00:25:59 »
I want to skin it with some 1/2"ply with some cabinet doors on it but make it one panel that can be removed by magnets. On the front and both sides.

Offline Kenn

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 01:12:25 »
I want to skin it with some 1/2"ply with some cabinet doors on it but make it one panel that can be removed by magnets. On the front and both sides.

I would suggest that you go with 1/4" ply since its a facade and doesn't serve any structural purpose . Saves weight and $ :)
Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline Topekoms

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2016, 01:14:48 »
Yeah if you trying to use magnets 1/4in would be better.

Offline mrbh22

• Fry
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2016, 01:43:35 »
Do you think 1/4" would be rigid enough?  I would worry it would warp.

Offline Kenn

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2016, 01:47:12 »
Based on your photos your open area spans are small so you wont have a problem.

This will be effected by how you plan to install doors or removable panels; minor adjustments to design may be needed

Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline Topekoms

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2016, 03:30:12 »

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Offline Topekoms

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2016, 03:31:46 »

Offline Topekoms

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2016, 03:32:10 »
Used 1/4 on both of those builds

Offline saltykid96

• Fry
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2016, 10:11:19 »

Hoping to add some ideas
Doors aren't on yet and I have to use some wood fill before I stain but it's basically done. Also the inside bottom is fiberglass that is completely sealed with silicone and I'm going to use black fiberglass on top. Will make wiping up any messes or water much easier.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Offline mrbh22

• Fry
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2016, 21:17:05 »
Thanks for the ideas. I want to keep it simple i like the look of the open bottom but the wife doesnt want to see the sump equipment. I will make a couple doors and skin it with 1/4ply and see how it goes.

Update .. i got the baffles cut for the sump but havent had time to get them installed. I am going with a simple return from the tank with skimmer. To the refugium. To the return pump. Design.  I would like to have the refugium before the skimmer but i think it will be fine. I did another water change on the current tank and did some long overdue testing. All params were suprisingly good except the awful 112ppm alk reading. So im currently dripping baking soda into the overflow box.  I set up a gravity fed drip system with an old BRS 1/2gal container. I will retest on sat when i get off work. I work 24hr shifts. :(

Offline Topekoms

• Adult
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2016, 02:28:57 »
I would look in to an auto dose setup with those hours

Offline mrbh22

• Fry
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2016, 14:40:30 »
I have been doing some research on the auto dosers.  The only one that i would spend the money on is the jebao one and for dosing im not 100%sold its reliable enough.  I have 2 of the jebao rw8s and they are great but if one of them failed i have replacement pumps.  If the doser failed and all of a sudden decided to dose 1gal of alk thats another story... had anyone used the jebao doser? Or have any reccomendations that arent 350$

Offline Keith92

• Keith92
  • Adult
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2016, 18:17:46 »
I use kalkwasser in my ATO water but if I were going to buy the pumps I would go with the BRS.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2016, 09:50:22 »
The brs pump is solid, never had problems with them...... But you do have to be careful with the timers you use to control them.  If you fat finger a timer entry, even at 1.1ml per min, you can pump a gallon before you know it. 

I use my apex to control them, with a backup safety relay

Offline Agame43

• Adult
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2016, 12:14:21 »
mrbh22,  I use BRS dose pumps for Alk and Calc dosing controlled by Apex. Safety and Control with dosing is a must, I made the mistake of leaving my Alk pump on too long, was purging a new hose(had lots of air in it) and boom had way to much Alk in the system. I got busy with something else, my fault, My Apex system picked up the Alk levels and then I was into making water for water changes. So these types of pumps not doing what they are suppose to do can be nerve racking.

Wall_Tank can you provide more information about this "relay" you mention in your post?

RW

Offline mrbh22

• Fry
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2016, 12:19:24 »
I will probably end up with the brs pumps. Does anyone know if the reefkeeper has the ability to monitor alk like the apex?

Offline Agame43

• Adult
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2016, 12:26:12 »

I picked up the elevated Alk level via the Ph probe that comes with most systems, DA Reefkeeper or Apex. My Ph rose from 8.1 to about 8.45 over the time period that I forgot the pump was on. When I noticed this Ph rising like it was I went to my Dashboard and then saw that my Alk pump was still on.    :hmmmm:

Offline mrbh22

• Fry
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2016, 20:33:07 »
I see.  I really dont monitor ph..  should i be testing for it? I did when i first started the tank but i honestly couldnt tell you thr last time i tested it. Im headed to pick up my kreg jig tomorrow to get started on the doors for the stand.  I am also teetering on the idea of rebuilding the stand with the picket holes.  I had to do a bit of tweaking on the stand build and im not 100% sure i trust my carpentry for that build. I will also be siliconing in the baffles for the sump.  I will take a few pics of that process to get them on here for others to see how bad i am at siliconing lol

Offline Kenn

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2016, 20:34:50 »
I kind of use pH is my general warning system. If my PH is off something's going on lol

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Offline mrbh22

• Fry
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2016, 23:12:38 »
Well had a good day at thefrag swap. Picked up my first chalice foral and man its pretty. I cant wait for it to grow a bit and see how the colors really turn out. Also picked up a mystic sunset monti and another hammer that had some kind of pastel colors. Also picked up a brs doser for my alk.  I need to get a timer and i will get that going asap.

The stand doors are finished i just need to paint them and thats done.  Also got started on one baffle in the sump. I didnt realize how bad the silicone would smell so i got to move that project to  the basement before the wife kills me.after the sumps done all i need is to plumb the tank and figure out how im going to hide all the electrical equipment. I will update pics tomorrw.

Offline Kenn

« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2016, 00:02:28 »
What type of Chalice did ya get?

Little jealous about the Mystic Sunset Monti :) I want to add one of those as well as a Blue polyp Monti to my collection.

But alas I couldn't make it to the meet.

Post pics when you get a chance

Offline mrbh22

• Fry
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2016, 08:01:30 »

Offline mrbh22

• Fry
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2016, 08:03:03 »
I have no idea the name of the chalice. If anyone can id it for me that would be awesome.  I can cut you a piece of that monti if you would like?

Offline chevydoc

• Juvenile
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2016, 10:54:13 »
Maybe a bubble gum monster?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Kenn

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2016, 13:58:07 »
Maybe a bubble gum monster?

That's what it looks like to me

Offline mrbh22

• Fry
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2016, 15:19:56 »
I think i agree. It looks like a bubblegum monster. 

I am making progress on the stand and i got the sump baffels inand hopefully where i want them.  I am going to be painting the stand some kind of white. If anyone has tips on how to keep the stains from forming when water gets splashed on them please share!  Im thinking a good primer then paint then some kind of sealant. But im not sure what kind of sealant can be used on painted surfaces. So again i will take any and all advice.

ON ANOTHER NOTE - i have made the decision to drill the back of the tank. My wife wants a silent aquarium and with only 2 holes in the overflow i feel like my only option is to run a herbie style drain setup. So i need both of those bulkheads for the overflow and need to make a hole in the back of the tank to use as a return. If anyone on here is confident drilling glass and wants to help a feller out please shoot me  a pm and we can work something out.  I have a few nice corals i would be willing to frag up and donate to the cause or i can pay you for your time. 

Thanks again Ohio Reef.

Mike

Offline mrbh22

• Fry
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2016, 01:30:03 »
Got a lot done today. I actually decided that the stand i built was not up to my liking. So i decided to rebuild it and make it 3 inches taller. I also wanted to incorporate a shelf to put things on all the way around the tank itself. I got some crown moilding and measured it 1000 times and got one piece correct!  However i made the best of what i had left and made template pieces for when i get some more of the crown moulding i can replicate them for the correct size pieces. I am hoping to get this done and painted tomorrow. 

I still need to find someone who will help me drill the back of my tank. I also need to make a trip to lazys to pick up 2 3/4in bulkheads. Then i pretty much have everything i need to get this thing wet.

Any takers on drilling the tank?

Offline Topekoms

• Adult
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2016, 08:46:30 »
Coral Cove did mine

Offline mrbh22

• Fry
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2016, 09:40:42 »
Sump is going to be refugium---return---skimmer.  Overflow will go to the skimmer section and i will T off the return to be able to control the flow through the refugium.

The test fit of the crown moulding. The top will be flush with a piece of 3/4hard wood.

The pocket holes i used for joining the stand. They make a crazy strong joint.

Tank and doors on the new stand.

New stand with the old stand on its side behind it.

Old stand . Looked good on the outside but wasnt what i really wanted

« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 09:47:12 by mrbh22 »