2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Anyone thinking twice about getting a generator? Stop thinking!  (Read 1982 times)

Offline Reef Tank 2.0

• Adult
  • Shawn
I could sum this up in about 5 seconds, but what fun is that.  If you'd like a short/long winded rambling read, please continue :)
Although this has been brought up many times over the years, some people (myself included), try to justify the cost of purchasing a generator.

At the beginning ( a year ago), my tank was up and running, 1-2 months if that.  We had a storm roll in and lights began to flicker.  Well, at that point I had no generator and no power back up to even think about, if the power were to go out.  As those lights flickered, I could think of nothing but losing livestock and having the tank crash.  Hell with the food in the fridge and freezer, but the tank was my only concern.  While the lights flickered I was online window shopping at generators.  Certainly not liking the sticker price on them, I realized it was a need.  Talked out loud about it with the wife, and she confirmed my need (although this isnt her hobby or care).  They are live animals that needed taken care of.  So the lights stopped flickering and nothing ever came of it.  But later that night, I thought of putting it off, but figured, uh, dumb idea.  Just get it.  So a few hundred dollars later, it was purchased and shipped to me within a week or so.

I have this new, shiny generator sitting in my garage on reserve.  Waiting to be called upon.  Figures, no power outage, but I have a generator  :(

About 6 months later, my first short term power outage came my way.  It was only 2-3 hours, but I got to use the generator.  Had all my "must have" equipment plugged in and it was rolling flawlessly.  Fun to be able to use it and have it earn it's keep around here.  It was very short term, but hey, it did what I needed.

Let's fast forward to Wednesday, March 1st, at 3:30am.  This is where things got real interesting.  At 3:30, my thunderstorm/tornado warning siren went off.  Both, on my phone, as well as the siren right by my house.  That SOB was blaring loud.  It was a different loud than I have heard in the past.  Other times it was thunderstorm warnings.  Got out of bed in a hurry, rounded up the dogs, and we headed down to the crawl space.  I had the crawl space door cracked so the dogs wouldn't go back out.  As I was looking in the doors direction, I started seeing leaves, branches, and whatever else flying past it in a hurry.  I heard nothing but wind.  Again, didn't think much of it.  Figured it was heavy winds and a thunderstorm.  Boy was I wrong, it was a small tornado (if there is such a thing).  At about 3:45, when I was down there, the power went dead.  At 4:00 I got out of the crawl space with the dogs and headed to the garage to pull out the generator.  Still not knowing what had happened, got the generator up and running and the tank plugged in.  All was well.  About 5 hours later, when there was daylight, I decided to take a walk to the end of my road where there was a line of cars just sitting. Many cars were turning around and trying to go another route, to be stopped and re routed to where they came from.  They weren't getting out.  As I got to the end of the road I saw the path where a tornado plowed through.  It went for about a half a mile taking everything in it's way with it.  Including about 6-8 power poles.  The power pole that fed my house was snapped in half. transformer and power lines lying in the road.  These cars weren't going anywhere fast.  Utilities couldn't come in and clear lines or trees until Duke cut the power.  Not sure what they were waiting for.  So at that point, I realized, I wasn't going anywhere anytime soon, and power was not going to be restored any time soon as well.

Back to the house I went.  With temps dropping to the low 30's/high 20's, with an occasional spitting of snow, this house cooled off quickly. Within 3 days time, it went from low 70's, do high 40's.  As you can imagine, this made the fish tank struggle to keep it's heat when the outside temps were dropping.  Early Friday morning, I woke up stupid early, hard to sleep in cold temps, and came out to check on the tank.  Temps in the tank were now mid-high 70's.  I threw in another heater as a back up to help.  That helped and the temps started to rise, slowly.

So around 6:00, power was restored.  Generator still running for 3 days straight with ZERO flaws. I am now with heat, and full power and we are all back to normal.

In a nut shell, For anyone that is contemplating a generator or a power back up of some sort, stop contemplating.  DO IT.  You won't regret it!  Without my generator I would have lost everything in a hurry. Think of the time/money you put in to your tank up to this point, this 300 or so dollar generator are pennies in a bucket when compared to the whole cost point.  Save yourself the stress, money, and time of rebuilding, and purchase a generator.  My generator was bought for this tank alone.  I did not have the budget for a big one to run multiple items, but the least I wanted to take care of, was the fish tank.  And I did.  They are happy, and I am very glad I bit the bullet when I did.  I am out some food in the fridge/freezer, that's a lot less money to replace those items than it would be to replace the inmates (livestock).

Offline Steve

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Re: Anyone thinking twice about getting a generator? Stop thinking!
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 12:36:57 »
First off, glad you and your family are OK. Second, I agree 100%. Lost everything in 08. Totally unprepared. I got a small generator for $200 at tractor supply. Well worth the money.

Offline Reef Tank 2.0

• Adult
  • Shawn
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 12:41:13 »
and not to mention, when you have a power outage for whatever reason, you need to keep this in mind.  YOU ARE NOT THE ONLY ONE THAT WILL BE IN NEED OF A GENERATOR!  There will be a lot of people that need one for other reasons.  There will NOT be enough of them in stock to take care of the hundreds to thousands of people without power.  Get them online or in store now, while there is no outage.

I couldn't tell you how many people I saw within the past couple days that had "loaners" from HD and lowes.  When there is an outage, generators fly off the shelves as well as out of tool rental departments

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 13:52:21 »
Thanks for sharing your story. It is great to hear a happy ending as result of your prep and planning.

Offline Miles

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 15:04:35 »
Wow! I'm glad everything worked out for you. I have a generator that is several years old, I try to take it out once a year and fire it up, but I've never actually had to use it. I'm kinda concerned about how clean the power coming out of it is.... I'm not sure I want to try hooking some of my equipment up to it and risk doing damage to it. I need to look into something that is newer, cleaner, and quieter.....

Offline Reef Tank 2.0

• Adult
  • Shawn
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 15:09:19 »
i heard you want to run it every few months for like 10 minutes just to keep the juices flowing. But I did not.  I did however, throw some stabilizer in the gas tank when it wasn't in use.  Haven't had no issues yet.
If you wanna see if it works, get something to plug in to it.  radio, lamp, etc.  just to see if it works and how well.  DOesn't have to be much.  Hell, do the tv.  I am not the brightest tool in the shed, but I don't think it could cause damage to anything you plug in to it.  Maybe someone with more knowledge can chime in on that.

Id check the air filter, change the oil, empty the gas and put some new in.  see what happens.  You might be alright.

Offline Miles

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2017, 15:42:23 »
Is your generator a standard portable generator or an inverter generator?

Offline Reef Tank 2.0

• Adult
  • Shawn
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2017, 16:05:51 »
portable. Here is the one I got.
This is sized for my tank equipment only.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Generac-1-800-Watt-Gasoline-Powered-Portable-Generator-5981/203192048