2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: storing water in the garage  (Read 1727 times)

Offline Reef Tank 2.0

• Adult
  • Shawn
storing water in the garage
« on: March 16, 2017, 09:44:13 »
Does anyone store their top off water or salt water on reserve barrels in the garage?  Let me be more specific, does anyone store them in the garage that is not heated?
How exactly do you do this with the freezing temps of the winter, and the boiling temps of the summer?

I'd love to have larger storage bins in the garage rather than my two brutes on a wagon that I cart around.  To me, it seems impossible to do, without heaters on top of heaters and chillers on top of chillers.  I may be overthinking, or I may be right in my thinking, but I'm curious to know how you do this, if you do.  This would definitely allow me to do larger water changes.

If anyone does utilize their cold ass garage for water storage, would you mind posting pictures of your set up, as well as equipment details? 

Offline mtamorrow

• Mike's Red Sea Reefer
  • Adult
Re: storing water in the garage
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 10:39:15 »
I store my RODI water in my garage. I am fortunate though because I have a room in my garage that houses my furnace, hot water heater, and softener. So it stays nice and warm
It costs HOW much?!

Offline andys1982

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 12:04:48 »
I quit heating mine recently.  Not enough gets added at a time (ato) to worry about temp.  Freezing is not an issue for me though, and I do heat the water that I use for water changes.

Offline Reef Tank 2.0

• Adult
  • Shawn
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 12:09:17 »
I add 2 gallons per day for Top off.  I couldn't imagine placing 2 gallons of non heated water in to the tank all at once.
Unless you have a top off that adds very little throughout the day.  But I do it all at once.  Maybe that's a different story

Offline Grymtooth

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 14:11:40 »
I have been storing all mine in the garage using 5g buckets. When I am planning a water change, I just bring a bucket in for 24 hours to at least get to room temp. I haven't had a bucket freeze on me yet. For the top off, I have a 1g that I fill and let come near room temp before adding as well.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk