2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: tomini tang issue, maybe  (Read 2141 times)

Offline Reef Tank 2.0

• Adult
  • Shawn
tomini tang issue, maybe
« on: March 10, 2017, 23:02:43 »
My 1" tomini tang has been in QT the past month.  Tonight was his night to go in to the DT, which he did.  Up to this point, I saw no defects or things that raised a red flag.  SO in to the DT he went.  After he came out of hiding, about 30 minutes, he slowly started making his way around.  A few of the bigger veterans (chalk bass), were quick to shoe him out of their area, but no contact was made.  So far, so good. Everyone seems to be getting along.

Just a little bit ago, I was watching the tang, and he turned so I could see his left side of his body.  Red flags went up like crazy, but that could be due to my paranoia.  On his left side, if you were to split his body in the middle, you'd have a top half, and lower half.  There is a circle that almost covers one side, that looks to be  shiny, but lacking the grey color the rest of his body has. I don't think its scale issues. I don't think, but I am not quite sure.

I can't imagine that he's not stressed still, not sure if that would effect his coloring on one side, but obviously my mind went right to the worse. shut down tank, transfer all fish, treat them all, close tank down :).
I am trying to get a clear video uploaded to youtube to share, but I figured I'd try and explain in text first.

I would think if he was losing color due to stress, it would be his whole body, not just one side.  His front, right and back all look good. It's just the left side.  He's pecking at the rocks and checking things out, so I think that's a positive.  Once I can get a video or clear shot of that side, I'll post it.

Offline Reef Tank 2.0

• Adult
  • Shawn
Re: tomini tang issue, maybe
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 23:16:23 »
will edit later
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 09:40:23 by crankbait09 »

Offline Reef Tank 2.0

• Adult
  • Shawn
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 23:27:51 »
will edit later
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 09:40:12 by crankbait09 »

Offline Reef Tank 2.0

• Adult
  • Shawn
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 00:17:50 »
Here is a quick 10 second video of the tang. Thoughts?

« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 15:52:11 by crankbait09 »

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 18:17:20 »
I watched the video a couple times.  I'm not sure what's going on. It doesn't look like any kind of disease that I'm familiar with. Possibly abrasions from the rock or another fish. I noticed his tail is splitting a couple places which would indicate possible agression from another tank mate. It is however strange the way it is shiny like that. I guess it is just a wait and see game right now.

Offline Reef Tank 2.0

• Adult
  • Shawn
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 18:45:58 »
I'm hoping it's just stress but it's just now coming up on the 24 hour mark.  I'll monitor him.  I noticed the tail too. 
If that is due to another fish, I know exactly who it is.  It's one of the chalk bass.  The tang was trying to go in to his home last night, and he threw a fit and chased him out.  I didn't watch him every second of the night, but I didn't see "contact" being made.  Obviously something is going on though.

Iv'e spotted him trying to share a home with everyone. He did shoo the serpent sea star out of his cave, but the star came right back.
He tried getting in to the starry blenny's home, blenny won that one.

I think once he finds a home, he'll be fine.

I fed the fish a bit ago, and he ate, looks fine, other than the tail and the shiny side of him.

i'll keep an eye on him.