2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Some suggestions here.......  (Read 2739 times)

duanesworld

Some suggestions here.......
« on: December 13, 2007, 16:31:48 »
I recently have a fish only tank with about 40-50 lbs of live rock. I was wondering what kind of corals, sponges, mushrooms, etc....... i could have in this tank eventually. It has been set up for about 2 months. I have 4 fish in it now 2 damsels Blue and a 3 stripe and a clown fish. I also have 2 Mexican turbos and 2 red legged hermit crabs.

My filter......although i know is not good but i am gonna change over is a canister filter flows about 250 gph....
 i have a powerhead moving the water around some, and about 75watts of lighting t5s 2 6500k and 1 t8 blue actinic.

I know not everything is ideal, but this is what i have to work with at the moment  any and suggestions is greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks, Duane

MechanicalEngineer

Re: Some suggestions here.......
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 18:31:52 »
First off, what size tank??? 

If you don't add a sump, I'd just add LR to the canister filter.  How old is the tank?

I'd worry about the spectrum of your lights.  I'd at least have 10K, but I'm not a lighting expert.

Until I know the above, I don't want to give any advice really.  You could always try some mushrooms and zoanthids. 

duanesworld

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 20:54:49 »
its a 45 gallon tank.....i knew i would leave something out. and its been going about 2 months now, just went and got a few critters at aquariums etc tonight and got a few ideas.......LR?  is that live rock???   im new to some of the abbreviations here. If that is what you mean....yes i have live rock, about 40 lbs of it and i add more each week......i find a nice frag that catches my eye and add it.

i am going to add 10,000k lighting i am still piecing everything together

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 21:17:31 »
Personally, I don't think you have enough lighting for much, but plenty of people have told me that too.  Try a tiny frag of zoanthinds or a single mushroom...and see how it does.  It really depends on the depth of your tank.  If you try anything, put it pretty high up.  If you're really dedicated, you could try to do non-photosynthetic corals.  Regardless, go slow...don't waste your money.

Offline Riderc82

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 21:26:03 »
Duanesworld whats the lenght of your tank? I have a 48 inch compact fluorescent fixture I could let go for cheap but I'm guessing your tank is less than 48".

duanesworld

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 22:11:47 »
the tank depth is 22", and yea  it is only 36" wide and 12" deep. i am still trying to come up with something for lighting ,still doing research i am leaning towards a retro fit PC 196 watts. But hey my mind may change by then. I do understand i cant get something with high light demands i would be just happy with some polyps, mushrooms maybe a sponge.........i have plenty of time not in any rush i am still happy with what i have in there now but i guess you have to start somewhere :)

Offline Amstar

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 22:20:49 »
Riderc82  whats cheap for those lights?  what price are you wanting?

Offline JoeAyers

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2007, 23:03:41 »
I would think first about what you want to keep (SPS, LPS, Softies?) then decide on the lighting.  If you are just wanting softies and some lps you should be fine with what you have. What are the stats on the T5s? Length wattage, etc?

duanesworld

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2007, 23:11:36 »
2 34" t5s 21 watts each 6500k, and one 24" 20 watt  blue actenic i was wrong earlier on my original post......that is 60 watts    duhhhh   lol

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2007, 06:15:47 »
If you are just wanting softies and some lps you should be fine with what you have.

I agree.  I've heard of some people keeping mushrooms with NF lighting!  :) 

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2007, 10:24:33 »
I have a random mushroom growing in my sump...and all the lighting I have over it is a flourescent flood light. 

duanesworld

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2007, 17:13:51 »
looks like i may be getting a lighting upgrade here soon.........so i am gonna go and give it a shot with a few small zoas and see what happens....