2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Thinking of Going MH...NEED HELP!!!  (Read 4491 times)

MechanicalEngineer

Re: Thinking of Going MH...NEED HELP!!!
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2007, 14:21:53 »
Ok...remember...college budget...NO LUMINARCS!!!!  LOL.  I don't know where you guys went to college...but man...I'm poor.   ;D

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2007, 15:02:35 »
I've never had any experience with MH, but when I first set-up my VHO system I used magnetic ballasts. I have since switched to electronic ballasts and the electronic ballasts run significantly cooler than the magnetic ballasts did.

Offline Secondgen

« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2007, 16:32:10 »
I have a 150 watt MH 8 inches over my 29 gallon with a 20L sump, and my tank stays 80 degrees with no fans then drops to 78 at night with the lights off. I have an open top canopy though. But I have not seen a difference in heat as far as tank temp, and MH vs PC in my case.

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2007, 11:41:18 »
okay so im stupid.  how do you know if the ballast is electronic or magnetic

Offline verper

« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2007, 11:55:22 »
Most electronics will say so on them.  Magnetic ballasts don't always.  Also the shape can be a give away for some newer ones.  Amp usage is another way.  And looking up the model you have on the internet works for finding out.

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2007, 12:50:39 »
whats the difference in double end and single end halide bulbs?  I am use to having the single end type.

Offline verper

« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2007, 14:48:31 »
The main difference is SE bulbs are a bulb within a bulb so they have built in UV protection where as the DE do not.  DE bulbs look alot like a halogen bulb used in those construction spot lights sold at the big box stores.  I think the DE lamps came from Europe originally.  Some say they burn brighter for the same wattage.  Not sure if that is because they are overdiven or not. 

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2007, 17:42:34 »
So would it be better to go with a single ended?  Also, what's the difference in the way they start (pulse versus probe...I think those are the two.) 

Offline verper

« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2007, 18:06:13 »
Not necessarily.  The DE bulbs need to have a glass cover between them and the water.  You can get a slimmer fixture with DE's because the bulb is so much smaller in diameter.  That is why you see so many of those premade units with DE bulbs in them.

Pulse vs probe depends on the lamps you will be using.  Many of the SE bulbs have been probe start with a starting probe and associate bimetallic switch in the arc tube.  This takes up room and hence the size of a SE bulb.  Some of your more recent SE bulbs (Radiums for example)are pulse start.  The ballast has an ignitor as a component of the ballast, eliminating the need of a starting probe and switch from the bulb itself.

Then there is the question of overdriving the bulbs.  Radiums are usually overdriven on HQI ballasts to give more PAR and lessen the effect of the purple from the 20K bulb.  The bad is that you have to change bulbs every 6 months.

My take on MH bulbs is that if you have the room, go with the SE bulbs.  There is more selection and they are cheaper in general.  DE bulbs are better when you have room constraints but bulbs cost more.  There are a few more advantages to pulse start bulbs, but much of it doesn't apply to the hobby - like colder starting temps.

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2007, 18:14:01 »
I'd just like to thank everyone that has pitched in on this!  I've looked at a TON of websites, but they've all given too much information for me.  That much info will be great when I can pick out exactly my dream setup, but not right now.  I think I finally know enough to feel somewhat confident.  :)

Thanks again!  If anyone else has questions, please feel free to piggyback off of this thread!

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2008, 13:31:04 »
Just an update, I went with the Current Outer Orbit 2x150W MH + 2x130W PC fixture. 

Yesterday, the house hit 76 degrees, and the tank spiked up to 86 degrees around hour 4 of the metal halides being on.  I put one of those oscillating house fans behind the tank today and timed it to only come on when the lights came on.  Guess what...tank is steady at 80 degrees, where I have it set to be.  No chiller!  Weeeee!

quicksilver

« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2008, 15:28:38 »
if you run your AC around 74 degrees and a fan you tank should stay around 82 degrees like mine.  ::)

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2008, 15:54:25 »
My vote would be Lumanarc reflectors with D/E lamps powered by a Galaxy Ballast. Lamps in the 15-20 K range should give the color and growth your looking for. Since these are not built into a canopy, the heat transfer will be less. An electronic ballast would be more energy efficient and may extend the light bulb life a little. The Galaxy ballast has been working out really well on multiple of my service accounts and they are reasonable priced. YOu may need the mini lumanarc due to the tank size. These reflectors are money very well spent, they will make the exact same light bulb seem much brighter due to their reflective quality.

slandis3

« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2008, 17:08:49 »
YOu may need the mini lumanarc due to the tank size. These reflectors are money very well spent, they will make the exact same light bulb seem much brighter due to their reflective quality.

Naa  she just needs to upgrade to a bigger tank to fit the full size lumanarc. ;)

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2008, 17:12:26 »
Quicksilver - we keep our house warmer than 74 degrees to save on energy costs; we stay around 76-77 degrees.  Also, with a fan, I'm able to keep my tank at 80 degrees...I don't want it at 82.  Just personal preference.  I was just happy that it doesn't look like I'll need a chiller like some people previously mentioned in this thread.  

Joel - sorry, this post was just an update.  I ended up going with a fixture for the 40g tank just out of cost effectiveness.  I'll keep your opinions in mind when I upgrade to the 120g.  Thanks!

Offline larrynews

« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2008, 15:20:01 »
Seller's ID:    
   trust_deals

http://www.LightNeed.com

it may be pa and not tenn.