2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: What kind of RO/DI unit?  (Read 3551 times)

Offline Amstar

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Re: What kind of RO/DI unit?
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2008, 17:26:09 »
okay let me change my terminology.  what if you do not get much waste water.  I am getting maybe a 1 to 1 ratio.  1 good gallon to 1 gallon of waste water.  i saw that someone said 4 to 1.  i get nothing close to that. 

slandis3

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2008, 19:07:45 »
IM not sure if it affects it at all im just kinda guessing. I know when i got my new membrain the paperwork said the inlet psi needs to be 50psi or higher or it may not work properly.

Offline JoeAyers

« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2008, 19:21:05 »
Slandis3, how does low psi affect the RO membrane?

Usually the higher the pressure the lower the waste water. That is why booster pumps are a good idea for anyone with low water pressure.  Maybe we could get Russ from BFS to do a Ohio Reef presentation and edjumacate us.

Offline verper

« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2008, 18:31:21 »
okay let me change my terminology.  what if you do not get much waste water.  I am getting maybe a 1 to 1 ratio.  1 good gallon to 1 gallon of waste water.  i saw that someone said 4 to 1.  i get nothing close to that. 

I have a couple of answers to your question.  Take your RO filter cap off and push your RO filter in all of the way.  If it moves 1/2" or so it was not seated correctly and the water was bypassing it.  If so, you were using straight tap water.

Second thing it can be is your flow restrictor is the wrong size for the RO filter.  It is restricting the flow too much and will lead to your filter getting scaled up much faster which will lead to a new RO membrane purchase in your near future.

I learned a couple of other things about RO/DI's.  It is true that the higher the pressure the more water you can get out of your RO.  They are rated based on 77 degrees F and 50-65 psi.  If you increase the pressure, you get more water per day without any damage to the unit up to 100psi.

Second, the higher the temp, the more water you get per day also.  So with a pressure pump and warm water, you can get a 75 gpd RO filter to give you 120+ gallons per day.

Third, because of our cold water in the winter, we all should have an extra $5 flow restictor just for winter water to keep our waste to good ratio close to 4:1.  This is because of the inverse of my second item (less good water through the membrane but the same waste water).

Fourth, waste water is a bad name for waste water.  It flows over the RO membrane to keep the filter clean, so any of the gimic multi-RO units you may have read about on RC either trash their RO filters fast, still have the same waste water in the end, or started with real clean water to begin with.