2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Tap water Crash  (Read 2939 times)

Offline hamiltro

• Juvenile
Tap water Crash
« on: February 08, 2009, 23:47:57 »
So today I went to a LFS and I was told that I need to get an R/O unit and do a 100% water change. since I used tape water my tank is going to crash and kill everything.

So here is what i got filled it up with tap water added live rock and sand and the salt, wait a little over a week and then put 2 clowns and a puffer with a clean up crew. now it has been about two weeks since the fish and everything seems fine. a R/O unit is on the list of things to buy. should I make getting that my number 1 thing and do a hugh water change when I get it? Please let me know.
55 gal working on upgrading to 120 with a 55 Sump(unless I find a deal on a bigger tank)

Offline lightningfront

• Adult
Re: Tap water Crash
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 23:51:46 »
Your going to have algae problems and if you didn't use tap water conditioner there will be chlonine and heavy metals in the water that will kill your fish over time.

The clowns might survive they are pretty hardy not sure about puffers though I don't keep them cause they aren't peacefull fish.
28 NanoCube CF Quad

My tank thread
http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=8341

slandis3

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 23:59:44 »
i dont think that a hude water change is needed. A ro/di is nice to have. im not sure where you went and was told that. What are you planning on keeping in the tank? fish only or reef tank? I know plenty of people running fish only systems on tap water. Now for a reef tank i would want to run ro/di water. How big is your tank? Yes i hope you put some sort of water conditioner in. If not that will cause problems with tap water

Offline Logzor

• Juvenile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 00:05:48 »
Chlorine will leave tap water if you give it some time, it would leave tap water faster than oxygen or carbon dioxide. That wont kill your fish, the chlorine is already gone hopefully, unless it bound with something.

Some people actually have really good tap water and run FO tanks just fine. I would not panic or anything. I would be hesitant to do a 100% water change, it is not that dire. If you have the ability to run some carbon that will help helpful.

If you are really worried I would get some large jugs and fill up some water from Kroger. They have a RO machine near the veggies. I ran my 55g reef on that for months when I first started and did not have a RO unit.

Call Russ at buckeye field supply and buy a 75 GPD premium RO/DI unit. Or, simply ask him what you should get based on your needs. They are local and have great customer service.

When you get the unit follow all of the instructions, there are a few complicated things to do but its not too bad. You do not want to shock anything so I would start out with a 25% water change. Maybe a 50% depending on how things are looking.

It sounds like you just set up this tank so it will have a massive algae bloom and need to cycle. Do you have a protein skimmer set up? Its not required at first but it is really helpful to have one. I would do some research on "cycling a tank" and "protein skimmers".

In order of importance (assuming you have a light and flow (powerheads).
1. RO/DI unit
2. Refractometer
3. Protein skimmer

Offline hamiltro

• Juvenile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 00:22:51 »
I do have a Skimmer, and it is cycling been setup for about 3 weeks now. it is a 55 gallon. I was given the name and Buckeye field suppy and i must say wow on there prices. well i get next is a R/O unit. thanks for the super quick replies
55 gal working on upgrading to 120 with a 55 Sump(unless I find a deal on a bigger tank)

Offline Logzor

• Juvenile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 00:45:03 »
No problem. I believe their prices are pretty competitive with any other quality unit distributor. Another is air, water, and ice. Maybe they have better prices. Some people on reefcentral highly recommend "the filter guys". Those are some other options for you. Trust me, either way, the money is very well spent. There is nothing more beneficial to a reef tank that Ro/di water. I live in an apartment and have an under-the-sink hookup. It is fantastic.

Offline Arcade_Guy

• Juvenile
  • Centipede
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 00:49:28 »
I live in an apartment and have an under-the-sink hookup. It is fantastic.

not to hijack this thread or anything, but do you use one of those fittings with the little needle that pierces the pipe? Or did you T it in?

Also is it copper or pvc/cpvc? your pipes that is.
55 Gallon Reef - Hamilton, OH 45013

Arnold shares his deepest feelings

Offline Logzor

• Juvenile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 00:59:34 »
See the first product on this page:

http://www.buckeyefieldsupply.com/showproducts.asp?Category=187&Sub=133

You just shut off your water supply (cold). Unscrew the tubing that goes up to the faucet. Then attach this unit in between the two. It just screws in and is installed in less than two minutes.

Make SURE that you shut off the water supply when turning the blue valve (that runs to the RO machine). The blue valve is not that strong and if there is water pressure running it is harder to turn and causes stress. The plastic blue valve snapped off on me and I had to replace it. Now I just turn the water off under the sink before turning on/off my RO unit.

Offline Russ

• Fry
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2009, 05:34:26 »
Looks like that post above was made before we changed the website.  The part that link referes to is the Undersink Shut Off Supply Valve on this page http://buckeyefieldsupply.com/Supply-Fittings-c46.html

We recommend this often to folks in apartments who don't want to make any permanant plumbing changes.

Russ