2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: salt  (Read 5788 times)

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: salt
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2009, 21:36:14 »

3)  How long ago did these problems occur with RSCP?

Here is the original thread http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=5034.0

slandis3

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2009, 21:49:58 »
my alk was always between 8 and 10. it would drop off when it was time to do a water change or if i forgot to add kalk to my reactor. Nikki. now that you are using different are you still haveing trouble keeping your alk right? How about you scott? 

Offline verper

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2009, 21:55:17 »
I've never had problems keeping my alk fairly stable.  My alk being on the low side was on purpose with the vodka dosing.  I will say the alk is rock solid at 9-9.3 now that the GEO calcium reactor is up and running.

slandis3

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2009, 21:58:22 »
got ya.

Reefd Up

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2009, 22:08:07 »
I was struggling to keep alk up at the time...it stayed around 8-10 (10 on a good day, 8 was average.)  Even after switching salts, I struggled to keep my alk up.  But, with the new tank, my alk is solid at 10 (even after a week of no dosing!!!...granted...I did throw away a lot of coral.)  :(

At the initial time of using RSCP, I was changing 10% per week (as I had for the previous 2 years).  As the tank kept getting worse, I started changing the water more...and more...and more.  I kept changing until I ran out of that bucket and had to use some IO...and magically things improved within an hour or two. 

As far as nutrient export, I did a 10% water change weekly (which included blowing out the rocks and cleaning the sand), skimmed wet with the Tunze Nano 9002 skimmer, grew macro-algae, had a RDSB, and used carbon 1 week per month and ran phosphate remover continuously.  Nitrates and phosphates have been undetectable for the past 2+ years.  Nothing had changed prior to my tank going downhill except changing to a new bucket of RSCP.

Offline rayviv

• Here fishy, fishy.
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2009, 23:03:46 »
Reply # 10 you stated you 'check it on the bucket'; I didn't want to miss something that might be important. Such as the 2-part; which was very thorough and I do appreciate it even if I dont understand it. I've got a lot to learn. Thanks, Ray
The mind is a wonderful servant but a dangerous master!

Reefd Up

« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2009, 23:11:51 »
I usually check parameters...and in each case, the RSCP checked perfectly (which is why I used it & recommended it.)  Although the SeaChem isn't checking right on the bucket I got...my tank is doing better with it.

I meant that the bucket of SeaChem I got wasn't testing to the parameters I thought it should.  (By "checking right on the bucket" I meant the levels weren't checking with what I thought they should for that particular bucket.  I really have some interesting grammar somedays!)  :laugh:

Offline rayviv

• Here fishy, fishy.
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2009, 23:14:31 »
 Does vodka go in the tank or in gut? What does that do? Is that widely used and the baking soda too?

Offline rayviv

• Here fishy, fishy.
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2009, 23:17:03 »
thank you; Boy I feel stupid. But I've not seen any of this in a book and I have to ask.

Offline METZCOOL

• Adult
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2009, 23:17:49 »
Corals for sale from my last bucket of RSCP ;D
http://toledo.craigslist.org/for/1144056206.html

Reefd Up

« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2009, 23:21:57 »
Vodka dosing is a whole 'nother topic.  (And yes, it can go into both your gut and the tank! Yum yum).  It acts as a food source for bacteria, not as a mineral for corals/invertebrates/etc.  I've never messed with vodka as it is a tricky beast (nor did I have any use for it.)  It's moderately used, but can be very risky.  It is not essential for a successful tank.  Someone more experienced with it should chime in....

Baking soda is simply sodium bicarbonate.  This is used for the alkalinity portion of the "2-part" solution.  Baked baking soda is sodium carbonate, which is also used for the alkalinity portion of the "2-part" depending on which recipe you use and need.  I personally use baking soda since the food grade stuff is very high purity (don't use the washing grade purity stuff...no no!) and it's so inexpensive!  

Reefd Up

« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2009, 23:22:45 »

Oooooh, too funny...but oh so true.  :(  Thankfully my stuff wasn't that large when it died.

Offline verper

« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2009, 04:53:13 »

LOL.  At least  you had so awesome growth with it!  :laugh:

Offline jjw2121

• Adult
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2009, 07:23:36 »
Would you take 200 for the corals, LOL ;D

Offline jungliztkruger

• Adult
    • my other hobby...fire
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2009, 11:10:20 »
Does vodka go in the tank or in gut? What does that do? Is that widely used and the baking soda too?

one for you (tank) two for me :)    of course if you dose .5 mL vodka it should be more like one fpr you ten for me

Offline JoeAyers

« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2009, 11:27:36 »
I've used RSCP for about 14 months without issue and I use 2-part exclusively. Will eventually add the reactor that is sitting in the stand and use both 2-part and the reactor. I did do a couple of water changes with other salts after talking with Scott and did not notice anything in particular good or bad.

Please take this at face value. I do not test anything anymore so I have no idea what my PH, ALK, CA, Strotium, barium, pringles or snablegast tests out in my tank. I pretty much get it aligned in the begining and set and forget. I do lots of water changes and have a massive skimmer.  I'm more of a hands off guy once everything seems stable. The only thing I check regularly are temp and salinity. I doubt I will continue to use RSCP after I run out this time, not because I don't like it, but more because of the PIA it is to get and the cost has been rising faster than others. I will probably go back to using whatever salt is on sale when I need it.

Joe

Offline chromiumlux

« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2009, 21:32:11 »
Ive been using RSCP since day one and it seems that I'm starting to have more problems keeping a stable Ph. I use a 2 part also and it seems right after I dose the ph rises then drops again within the hour.
Chromiumlux

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2009, 21:58:40 »
Depending on where your probe is, and where you dose.   That seems normal for a two part.... namely the alk part.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2009, 23:24:14 »

Is this for real???

Reefd Up

« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2009, 06:15:17 »
D'oh!  No...it was a joke.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2009, 07:00:16 »
I don't know anything about Craigs List.  Plus, I'm TOO trusting!  UGH! 

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2009, 19:00:49 »
Craig's list is a real classifieds, but the post was a joke