2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: lowering ph  (Read 2543 times)

Offline larrynews

lowering ph
« on: July 22, 2009, 11:59:25 »
wondering if there is an easy way to lower ph. maybe its not a big deal but it is at 8.6, calcium and alk is staying where it needs to be and always has been. now this is not a new thing i have always had it around 8.4 to 8.6. is it going to hurt anything

Offline Logzor

• Juvenile
Re: lowering ph
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 13:11:21 »
First read this: http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-03/rhf/index.php

You can add vinegar (keep in mind this is a carbon source!), soda water, or closing your windows (increasing CO2).

Your pumps may clog faster, other than that it should not be a problem. 8.6 is a bit high, anything above that could cause major stress on your animals. Generally 7.8-8.5 is acceptable.

Are you dosing limewater or anything in your topoff.

If you are only dosing two-part calc and alk I have a very hard time believing that you pH is running at 8.6.

What are you testing it with?

If you use a meter, try and re-calibrate it. If you use strips, use a meter to measure your pH.

Offline larrynews

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 13:23:12 »
not using lime water, only using c-balance 2 part, and testing with red sea kit.

i will read the article

Offline Logzor

• Juvenile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 13:33:36 »
Test your pH in the morning an hour or two before your lights come on. Your pH probably peaks just as your lights are about to shut off then slowly reaches the lowest point before your lights come on. I am curious what reading you get during this time.

It is hard to say how accurate the test kit is. I have only used a meter. If things look fine I would not worry about it. My pH meter just gives me more to worry about but so far, has never mattered.

Offline larrynews

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 13:35:57 »
what about running carbon will that make it high, reading the article helped some but somethings were over my head

Offline Logzor

• Juvenile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 13:49:42 »
Running carbon should not impact pH to my knowledge.

The article is definitely more than we need to know.

Realistically, if you are not adding limewater (kalk) or dosing something that is high pH then your pH will be within the acceptable range.

You will find those who struggle and bash their heads on the wall trying to keep pH at 8.2 yet do not have any empirical evidence that it even matters.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 19:53:26 »
Test kits are not terribly accurate in measuring pH.   That is why most use and calibrate meters.