2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Red Sea Coral Pro  (Read 2730 times)

Offline harleyrider

• Adult
  • If you have to ask, you cant afford it!
Red Sea Coral Pro
« on: March 27, 2010, 22:19:51 »
Just bought bucket of rscp, most salts on average is 1/2 cup or so per gallon of r/o,,,to those who have used this salt what mixture did you use per gallon?

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: Red Sea Coral Pro
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 22:25:39 »
I don't think it's quite that much.   I mix a trash can full at a time, about 30 gal, I think I use about 10-12 cups.   But I ussually lose count......and adjust with my refractometer readings.

Offline Riderc82

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 22:26:26 »
I stopped using it a while back but if I remember right I always used a 1/2 cup measuring cup about a 1/4" below the top of the cup.  Pretty much just use a little less than a 1/2 cup and go from there.

Offline harleyrider

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 22:34:15 »
Thats what i thought it was less than a half per gallon, but if you go by their instructions it says 1.5 pounds per 5 gallons of r/o, well 1.5 pounds according to my us-magnum-1000xr digital scale which is calabrated to the t, say that is exactly 3 level cups, and that would be more than 1/2 per gallon, hope their salt is better than their instructions, im going to start with less than a 1/2 per gallon, and like you said refracto as i go lol

Offline ghurlag

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 23:11:02 »
I use the hydrometer method, myself (refractometer is still at AS, awaiting payment and pickup).  I just switched to RCSP a couple weeks ago, and have been slowly working it into the display tank.  I must say that things are looking good so far.

Offline ~reefchik~

• Adult
    • Real Job:  HunnyBuns Nursery & Reborn Supply
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2010, 23:39:53 »
I mix salt like I cook.  Add a bit, test and add a bit more til it's where it should be.  I thought everyone did that.
I don't pay a lot of attention to the package because I don't usually know how much water I have in the 33 gal. can I use.  I make my best estimate and go from there. 
-Steph
--------------
What do you call an old reefer with no tank? 
:-(
-----------------------------

Offline harleyrider

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 08:44:01 »
After doing the math, it came out to 3/8 of a cup per gallon..and after aerating the ro/di water over night, about 12 hours, i slowly mixed in the salt, using a mag 5, which is my mixing pump for an additional 2 hours, which i would have to say the rscp really disolved quickly, after the 2 hours, checking with a hydro, and a refracto came up with a sg of 1.023 with ph of 8.4, within a few hours i could really see a big improvement in a lot of my corals, especially my Duncans in color and extension. all in all seems to be good so far, will keep an update over the next couple weeks..

Offline ~reefchik~

• Adult
    • Real Job:  HunnyBuns Nursery & Reborn Supply
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 12:45:39 »
Sounds good!  I'm certainly going to continue to use up what I have, but whether I'll continue beyond that remains to be seen.  It's clear I still have some water chemistry larnin' to do. 
-Steph
--------------
What do you call an old reefer with no tank? 
:-(
-----------------------------

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 16:08:32 »
o wow thats great
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline reefman

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2010, 18:09:31 »
good post