2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Swing Check Valve -  (Read 1267 times)

Offline larrynews

Swing Check Valve -
« on: September 22, 2010, 13:30:37 »
anyone sell this locally lowes or hd or any fish stores, now that i have my new sump filled as full as i can , so i want to stop  an overflow

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
Re: Swing Check Valve -
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 13:36:44 »
Allow me to the the first to of many to tell you that this is a bad idea. Drill siphon breaks on your returns, check valves are notoriously unreliable.
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline larrynews

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 14:00:28 »
Allow me to the the first to of many to tell you that this is a bad idea. Drill siphon breaks on your returns, check valves are notoriously unreliable.

i did that but it doesnt seem to have worked i guess i could try again, i have stayed away from them because of such things but my thought is it beats a flood, it would only have to work a few times a year best, and i know one failure and i still have a flood

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 14:11:51 »
No need for them. Isn't your tank predrilled? Drill 1/8" holes in your returns just below the water line. The all plastic valves are harder to find locally.

When I set up a new system. I fill the tank, and then the sump. Fire up the pump until I have just enough water to run the system. Turn the pump off for a few hours so it drains all its going to drain. Then fill the sump, and fire the pump back up. Mark the water line, and thats your max fill line.

If I remember right, you should have quite a bit of room for an overflow in that sump. If you order in the next hour or so, you will have it tomorrow, Friday at the latest.

http://premiumaquatics.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PA&Product_Code=WYE007&Category_Code=

Offline larrynews

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 14:27:19 »
let me try the re drill of the hole first, and see what happens

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 15:38:32 »
u have to make sure u clean out the hole every now and again
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 16:51:33 »
you asked this already.....

http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=6734.15

Us old guys and our bad memory ;D

Joel

Offline larrynews

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 17:07:06 »
i know and that is why i stayed away from it but now i'm thinking about it again....hey go back to florida :laugh:

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 17:32:21 »
Wye checks are the best type you can buy.

A hole in your return line is not a bad idea but you typically will still have some back washing, especially if your siphon brake holes are slightly clogged (or worse, completely clogged).

Although it is not a good situation to be in, if your very limited on how much water can back flush into your sump, a wye check valve will almost instantly stop water from back flowing. I've got many of these in operation and they work!

The flap type valves are notorious for failing and most of them restrict water flow.

If you want to try a flap type anyway, Lowes sells them

Joel

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 18:15:55 »
Wye checks are the best type you can buy.

A hole in your return line is not a bad idea but you typically will still have some back washing, especially if your siphon brake holes are slightly clogged (or worse, completely clogged).

Although it is not a good situation to be in, if your very limited on how much water can back flush into your sump, a wye check valve will almost instantly stop water from back flowing. I've got many of these in operation and they work!

The flap type valves are notorious for failing and most of them restrict water flow.

If you want to try a flap type anyway, Lowes sells them

Joel

Could always put 2 in series with union valves between them.  Increases your odds of one of them stopping backflow
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline Reefinmike

• was Illnino
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 11:28:05 »
TWSS!
u have to make sure u clean out the hole every now and again