2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Boon's Tanks and Builds  (Read 14708 times)

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
Re: Boon's Micro/Nano builds
« Reply #75 on: April 07, 2012, 18:53:17 »
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #76 on: April 07, 2012, 19:26:38 »
Great work
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #77 on: April 14, 2012, 23:25:15 »
What all do you plan on putting in it?

Offline MasonRob

• I'd rather be on the gulf
  • Fry
« Reply #78 on: April 16, 2012, 08:58:17 »
#1 - So including the cost of the initial tank, LEDs, powerheads, etc. - how much $$$ do you have into this build so far?

#2 - Ever think of building these for other club members who aren't so 'talented'?

Mason Rob

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #79 on: April 16, 2012, 11:25:26 »
Twisted - The goal is to keep as much as I can, while still maintaining the water perimeters... The sole intention is to be a anemone and Clown tank for my daughter. I am looking to add some sps, lps, and mayhaps a small bivalve.... I'd really like to see what I can support in it, I have larger tanks so as things get too big I can move/frag them out to the larger tanks. I will throw up some pics/movie shortly... I got about 7# of LR in it right now from rploaded(thanks again!), flow is looking great, and perimeters are coming together better than expected. Due to no skimmer I am expecting to need to perform 20-30% changes weekly/bi-weekly, but I'll know for sure how often once it starts seeing a Bio Load. But 30% on a tank like this is only 2 gals, So no biggie. I have added some decorative macro in behind the LR in the hopes that they will help keep the nitrates down inbetween water changes, only time will tell though.

MasonRob- More than what I wanted to spend, but could be way less, as I went extra on the leds which really threw the cost up. The leds were $250 only because I wanted the led system to be upgradeable if this tank flops(but 6-8 cree leds would do you; I am running 16... you could even keep the stock hood and use mr16 leds bulbs in place of the halogens, and most likely be able to keep softies for less than $8 of lighting) The powerheads were $20 a piece, and you can keep the stock AC20 filter, but I went to an AC30(not needed) was $20. The heater was $10, and then just rock and sand.

I have about $320.00 in the system, But $250 of that is purely LEDS which are overkill imo, I just wanted to be able to use them else where if the tank flops.

You could easily keep a few fish and basic softies for <$100 plus the price of the tank.

I never really thought to market the tank in anyway, and it really wasn't hard to throw together(a dremel,screwdriver, solder iron, and wire strippers; was all it really took) but if anyone wanted me to make one up like this, I wouldn't be opposed to throw it together for them, they'd just need to supply the parts.

Personally I love this style of tank, and kinda wished it came in a 14gal size that was horizontal and not vertical like they have now... But I may make one later down the road if I have some time and a rainy day...

My only gripe is the opening of the tank is only about 7" long by about 4" wide, so getting things in and moved around the tank can be tricky, and when it's full you can't stick your hand in the tank or it will over flow out the small opening... But everything is so small and light a pair of simple tongs work great in place of a hand. On the plus side though, I have a constant great top down view of anything in the tank due to the design.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 11:47:38 by Boonjob »

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #80 on: April 20, 2012, 17:28:20 »

Rofl how much par is too much par......getting 650 on sand bed at 75% and over 1100 on the surface of the rock.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #81 on: April 20, 2012, 17:38:15 »
Oh wow that is a lot.

Par According to Advanced Aquarist
Very Low: 15-100
Low: 101-200
Moderate: 201-400
High: 401-700

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #82 on: April 20, 2012, 17:59:46 »
Yeah I think I need to turn them down.....

Highest reading was 2800 at the power heads lol

At sand bed

On rocks

At the power head just under the surface of the tank about 2" down...

leds at 75%

Offline Boonjob

Re: Boon's 240 Cube
« Reply #83 on: April 22, 2012, 17:20:35 »
So, Stand is framed, just need to skin it and bring it down to the tank.... Will get some pics up shortly...

I have really been putting off the seams on the tank... Still not sure at all on which way I want to go with this.... The tank has been sitting atleast 2 years years without water, and has been submitted to temp changes, its easy to see that the silicone isn't doing so well... I have confirmed the euro bracing on one corner has failed(not sure if due to age and elements or moving or a combo of both, but I can wiggle this seam with moderate pressure....

My other concern is the actual seams, they are quite frosted which tells me they are pulling away from the glass.... I haven't had the luxury of water testing this as there are about 15 holes in it that will need plugged, and it is currently sitting on the ground....

I talked to Glass cages about the bracing and resealing, and they advised on how to fix the euro brace but advised against tearing the tank completely apart and resealing, said it almost never holds....

But I have also read plenty of thread of "successful" reseals and builds on tanks of this size...

So I am on the fence as to if I want to completely break it down and rebuild, or if I want to just fixe the euro brace and hope the seals are good.... I think its going to be a gamble either way, but I also believe I can play the devil's advocate and say that I can put the tank in better condition than it is right now with a rebuild.

Anyone have any experience with tearing down a large tank like this and putting it back together? My biggest worry is figuring out how to hold up the panels while they dry and insuring I got out all the air bubbles rofl... I'd have to say each panel has to weigh 100+lbs it's 10mm glass

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #84 on: April 23, 2012, 16:51:07 »
Decided I am going to rip it apart and rebuild it... Ordering way more silicone going with rtv 103(black) for all the seams now. Going to redo the overflow box with smoked glass, and going to look into pricing for 2 panes of starphire for the front two panels. Or may just get one pane of normal and make it 3 side viewable.

Will update as I go, Sigh... off to order the supplies and figure out how I am going to execute this.

Offline tidepool

• Adult
« Reply #85 on: April 23, 2012, 17:13:20 »
SWEET Tank.... I'm envious already....

:drink

Offline The WuSue

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #86 on: April 23, 2012, 19:32:33 »
I forget the name of the stuff. But if you are going to tear down and rebuild (I'd do that) there is an apoxy i would use instead of silicone. Its the same stuff they use to build rimless tanks. Just a thought... looking forward to seeing it!

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #87 on: April 23, 2012, 20:17:27 »
cool cant wait to see pics
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Midwest Express

• Adult
« Reply #88 on: May 03, 2012, 16:33:06 »
Man, that skimmer is no joke!  I'm hated seeing that tank go, but I am def glad to see it getting setup again!

What lights are you going to use and what life are you throwing in it?  I was going to do small rays in it or some smaller sharks with various other fish.  With that much room anything living in it would have fun!

Keep up the good work and get some more pics on here! hah
"The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play."
Capt. James T. Kirk

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #89 on: May 03, 2012, 16:46:16 »
Yeah lol you should see the skimmer sitting inside the tank as it is right now.... takes up almost half the space....

It's going to be a reef... I would like to get away with just 2 400w halides above it, though I will have the potential to ramp it up to 2 400w and 2 250w halides if need be...

It seriously looks like a hot tub sitting in the room... so I am pretty stoaked about it's footprint... The plan is to make DIY rock for the tank(I have everything bought I just need to find time to make and cure it) I can make the rock for $0.61 a pound so it will save me greately over purchasing rock, and is reef freindly ;)

I love LPS and bivalves so they will most likely dominate the tank, though I have eye on a few sps that will most likely make an appearance, and an anemone or two...

I have put a little thought into what I'd like to see in there, though I haven't put any time into making the live stock list compatible yet... The only things I know for sure will make their way in regardless what I have to do are a One spot Foxface(i know), mimic tang, Black oynx Percs, achilles tang(may opt for a purple though..., the achiles is my personal favorite tang, but my wife loves the purples, which I like them too so if I get less resistance on buying a purple over the achiles I wont pass up the opportunity)

The biggest thing is getting the Tank resealed and the rock made/cured... other than that it just needs water(that I know of)  and we are in business

Offline Midwest Express

• Adult
« Reply #90 on: May 04, 2012, 09:38:02 »
Yeah lol you should see the skimmer sitting inside the tank as it is right now.... takes up almost half the space....

It's going to be a reef... I would like to get away with just 2 400w halides above it, though I will have the potential to ramp it up to 2 400w and 2 250w halides if need be...

It seriously looks like a hot tub sitting in the room... so I am pretty stoaked about it's footprint... The plan is to make DIY rock for the tank(I have everything bought I just need to find time to make and cure it) I can make the rock for $0.61 a pound so it will save me greately over purchasing rock, and is reef freindly ;)

I love LPS and bivalves so they will most likely dominate the tank, though I have eye on a few sps that will most likely make an appearance, and an anemone or two...

I have put a little thought into what I'd like to see in there, though I haven't put any time into making the live stock list compatible yet... The only things I know for sure will make their way in regardless what I have to do are a One spot Foxface(i know), mimic tang, Black oynx Percs, achilles tang(may opt for a purple though..., the achiles is my personal favorite tang, but my wife loves the purples, which I like them too so if I get less resistance on buying a purple over the achiles I wont pass up the opportunity)

The biggest thing is getting the Tank resealed and the rock made/cured... other than that it just needs water(that I know of)  and we are in business

I know Joe ran 2 400w MH on a 4' light mover on that tank.  I have both of those 400w ballasts that he ran on that tank.  One of them has a popped cap but the other works just fine.  I never replaced the cap because I rant 250's on my 75 and never got around obviously to setup the 240 with the 400's.  Do you already have ballasts? :-)

What method are you following to build your rock?  I was wanting to do that to get a few bigger core pieces for the 75 build.
"The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play."
Capt. James T. Kirk

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #91 on: May 08, 2012, 18:38:12 »
Ok took some readings today nefore I perform my very first water change on this tank....

I still remain to feed heavily despite having nothing more than a clean up crew in the tank....

Temp 80 (been running it high for the bacteria)

Sg 1.023 a little low I like 1.026 I assume some lost from spills of me tinkering with tank.

Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 0
Phosphates 0

Will run calc and mag after water change as I want to see what the calc based algae is pulling...

The algae undoubtly is doing its job as I was able to read 5 trates and .28 phos prior to putting them in the tank after the cycle..... this is still the og water....

Added some trumpets, nuclear zoos, and a poker star...(thanks steve) All doing well so far.

All clean up crew is doing well... gote a white leg crab that came in as a hitch hiker on the cc... Pretty cool little dude... Havent seem him killing any snails and he is constantly picking on the rock.

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #92 on: May 16, 2012, 00:02:55 »
Just an updated photo... I clipped the flame algae and more than half the ulva...I got gha sprouting, now that the other algaes were cropped back... I am not to worried about it ATM as the tank is still fresh and the more dominant algaes were recently cropped.

The ulva has easily doubled from the size it was cropped to... 5 days double growth.

Got another pencil cap growing in

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #93 on: May 16, 2012, 07:33:08 »
It's amazing how good a 6 gallon tank can look. Looks way better in person.

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #94 on: June 19, 2012, 22:45:19 »
Wanna see what happens when your ac 30 overflows on to your leds and you dont notice it? ............. Went out of town for the weekend came home to a 10k tank.... Wtf....??? Open the lid to see this awesomeness on my string of royal blues.......

On a side note the 6 gal is coming down for the 14 biocube.... The 6 was fun til it started evapping 2-3 inches a day in water... Leave in the am with a topped off tank come home to power heads sucking air.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #95 on: June 19, 2012, 22:52:38 »
Oh no how many did you loose?

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #96 on: June 19, 2012, 23:02:10 »
None actually they all work.  the creep corroded the connections and they went out... Cleaning it up now shouks be back up and running shortly letting the vinegar do its thing

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #97 on: June 20, 2012, 00:18:26 »
Sounds like you lucked out

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #98 on: June 20, 2012, 02:04:12 »
Yeah.. I just ordered 8 more rb anyway as i want to ramp up the k... Im suprised it still works as its kiterally crumbling apart so im replacing it anyway.

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #99 on: June 20, 2012, 07:34:50 »
Man that sucks. Salt is a very unforgiving element.