2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: flame angel with worms or some external parasite  (Read 1840 times)

Offline Reefinmike

• was Illnino
flame angel with worms or some external parasite
« on: March 04, 2012, 15:08:33 »
I recently got a flame angel shipped in from a wholesaler, it went into quarantine Wednesday evening. it seemed to be doing great(minus the fact it hasnt eaten yet, but is showing interest) but i thought it had ich as it started scratching a few times a day, but nothing was visible. today i turn the light on, and the angel has a series of 5-6 raised linear bumps going along the bottom third of its body from the center down to the tail. some of the bumps had a white circular thing on top that almost looked as if it could be a worm. I did a freshwater dip which seems to have helped the bumps go down and most of the white circles to dissipate. wondering if anyone knows what this may be and how to treat it.

Offline HUNGER

Re: flame angel with worms or some external parasite
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 16:46:08 »
Any way u can post a pic of it?
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Reefinmike

• was Illnino
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 16:53:57 »
i tried and its not really possible.

Offline Reefinmike

• was Illnino
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 09:46:40 »
Anyone have any idea on treatment or should I just give up and flush him?

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 09:52:53 »
No idea what the parasite is without a picture but Prazipro takes care of quite a few.

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 10:10:37 »
No idea what the parasite is without a picture but Prazipro takes care of quite a few.

+1 -- and maracyn-2 for any concomitant infections.

Offline Reefinmike

• was Illnino
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 23:06:46 »
I will try to take a half decent picture tomorrow, someone diagnosed it as possibly lymphocystis which seems possible but I'm still not 100%. I'll have to grab some prazi to keep on hand, it's one of the few that I don't have on hand. I've had a tough time recently with getting disease from all different suppliers, it just seems never-ending. I lost my very very beautiful massive mystery wrasse of two years due to flukes that I had only noticed a day before. Good thing I now have a coral quarantine tank, and two fish qt's. One for meds, one for seemingly healthy fish.