2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Walt Disney Grow Out  (Read 6065 times)

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
Walt Disney Grow Out
« on: August 22, 2019, 20:00:48 »
Just wanting to document the growth on my favorite baby stick

Offline Agame43

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Re: Walt Disney Grow Out
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2019, 21:49:28 »

Jesse, great looking frag - great PE!

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2019, 22:44:44 »
what a happy coral!!
Jeff

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2019, 01:05:31 »
That is some serious PE! Looks great

Offline Agame43

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2019, 22:19:35 »
Jesse we were talking PE - check out these two pieces out of my tank. The first one is Count of Monti Christo and the second one is Solar Flare - they both always have great PE! thanks for sharing.

Offline Agame43

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2019, 22:24:26 »
Got to work on file size for solar flare.

Offline Tobe1971

• Juvenile
  • It costs nothing to be honest, loyal and true
    • Robinson Salt Supply, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2019, 23:18:11 »
Jesse, did you get that one from me? I can't remember. Regardless, it looks great! And hows the Nuclear Chewbacca Rainbow Milli and JF Frankie's Pink Rim doing?

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2019, 07:21:09 »
No, this WD is from AV99. Chewy is doing great, but he’s a slow grower. He’s almost all the way over the glue now. Frankie’s is beautiful. I may have to move him a bit cuz I think he’s getting too much flow on one side. But he’s growing good and has great color.
Jesse, did you get that one from me? I can't remember. Regardless, it looks great! And hows the Nuclear Chewbacca Rainbow Milli and JF Frankie's Pink Rim doing?

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2019, 07:23:23 »
Love that piece Rick! Very nice color and PE. Looks to be a tabler like my pink lemonade and Inferno. Looks like the same growth pattern and PE.

Jesse we were talking PE - check out these two pieces out of my tank. The first one is Count of Monti Christo and the second one is Solar Flare - they both always have great PE! thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2019, 15:12:04 »
WD update. After seeing Lazy’s beautiful Disney I decide to move mine up about 75 PAR to roughly 425-450. He seems to have liked this change. His drab purple areas have really started showing some highlights and his tips have that signature blue. Really looking forward to him shooting some branches so I can see the colors....

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2019, 21:06:00 »
I have polyp envy! That looks amazingly healthy!

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2019, 23:53:56 »
From you, huge compliment Brian. Thanks!

Offline Heinbaughb

• Adult
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2019, 22:05:46 »
I picked up another WD frag from RAP Chicago this weekend. Curious to see how it compares once grown out to the one I already have. Not questioning if it is/is not a true Disney, more for experiment purposes. The vender who sold this one said the “strand no longer exists” and claimed what he had was the last of it. PopCorals was the vendor.

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2019, 14:55:31 »
Wasnt the walt disney bought to the hobby by big R?  I find it hard to believe that the original wd no longer exists.  Sounds like a sales pitch.  But the way everyone is renaming and rebranding corals today you never know. knowing how strict av99 (who jesse got his from) is about lineage I would guess it to be from a big r original piece.
Jeff

Offline Heinbaughb

• Adult
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2019, 19:54:00 »
Wasnt the walt disney bought to the hobby by big R?  I find it hard to believe that the original wd no longer exists.  Sounds like a sales pitch.  But the way everyone is renaming and rebranding corals today you never know. knowing how strict av99 (who jesse got his from) is about lineage I would guess it to be from a big r original piece.
Jeff

You would know better than I would Jeff. Sorry, didn’t mean to hijack your thread Jessie. I found it interesting when the vendor at PopCorals told me this is the last of the original strand..didn’t make a lot of sense to me either. But it was a good enough sales pitch and the coral had enough color to entice me to try it, considering the WD seems to be one of the most interesting to grow out for a lot of people. My coral has a lot more yellow than the colony this was pulled from so it’s a game of is it the coral or is it the reefer.  I like your thread grow out Jessie, keep us updated, top down shots too if you can!

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2019, 20:49:13 »
You would know better than I would Jeff. Sorry, didn’t mean to hijack your thread Jessie. I found it interesting when the vendor at PopCorals told me this is the last of the original strand..didn’t make a lot of sense to me either. But it was a good enough sales pitch and the coral had enough color to entice me to try it, considering the WD seems to be one of the most interesting to grow out for a lot of people. My coral has a lot more yellow than the colony this was pulled from so it’s a game of is it the coral or is it the reefer.  I like your thread grow out Jessie, keep us updated, top down shots too if you can!
You’re fine Brian, I’m with you on experimenting and I’m anxious to follow any thread you may make about your WD experiment, hint hint : )

I do however have to wonder about this guys sales pitch. I think it’s far fetched to say you are the sole owner of a certain thread of coral. There is no possible way he can make that claim unless he has kept track of every single person he has sold a frag to. They would have all had to have died. And not to mention the person or wholeseller he got it from. Their piece would have had to die too. I do believe Mike Biggar was the originator of the Walt Disney tenuis. So that tells me this guy doesn’t have a BigR WD, or his sales pitch may be flawed. Just my $.02.

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2019, 23:26:45 »
My WD came from Cornbred and sold to me as Big R WD a few years ago.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 23:45:13 by aquavista99 »

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2019, 19:58:14 »
As requested, top down shot of the Walt Disney. This is under about 70% blue and 40% white with no editing.

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2020, 19:48:09 »
WD grow out update.... I’ve been making changes to try to pull more colors (namely the oranges and pinks lazy is getting) from the WD. I started a few months ago with dosing aminos. Dosed for a couple months and No luck with colors on the WD. I then changed a couple Blue+ t5 bulbs to the Coral + bulbs as well as increased the reds and greens on my LED’s from 2% to 20%. Waited a month, and still no changes. In this timeframe, I was able to cut a nice 1” frag. I placed the frag in 500 PAR to see if that would spur some pigment excitation. He’s been at this par for 3 weeks now and still no luck.

I am all out of ideas at this point other than to move the frag to daylight T5 lighting I’m using on the 20g. If that doesn’t help pull more color, I guess I’ll have to get Lazy to sell me his dirty water after a water change lol.

He’s still a beautiful coral, I’m just having fun experimenting.

Offline Heinbaughb

• Adult
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2020, 20:17:42 »
Did you try lowering the PAR it is getting? What are your nitrates at?

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2020, 01:22:27 »
I agree it is beautiful as it is. Mine is sitting I think at 500-600 par.
I will check to be sure but though it was worth mentioning that it seems to be the slowest coral to react from changes to its environment. The one I got from Toby on Sept 25 still is not quite as orange and pink as the one I have had but it’s close. A month back it was still pretty green. So I would say give it a good 4 months under high light before discounting that as the potential influence to the orange coloration.

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2020, 07:35:15 »
Did you try lowering the PAR it is getting? What are your nitrates at?
Kinda, he was in 325 par for the first 4 months in my tank. He had a lot of dark skin until I moved him up to where he is right now, at about 425 par.

My nitrates stay between 5-10 consistently. Love my monster skimmer!

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2020, 10:14:26 »
I agree it is beautiful as it is. Mine is sitting I think at 500-600 par.
I will check to be sure but though it was worth mentioning that it seems to be the slowest coral to react from changes to its environment. The one I got from Toby on Sept 25 still is not quite as orange and pink as the one I have had but it’s close. A month back it was still pretty green. So I would say give it a good 4 months under high light before discounting that as the potential influence to the orange coloration.
Good info Brian. I was considering increasing the whites & reds on the LED’s to get a tad more par. Maybe I’ll do that and give the frag a bit more time at 500+ par to see what happens.

Offline erky

• Adult
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2020, 14:48:55 »
my WD RTN'd over night about 2 months ago, nothing else in the tank was effected, so confused!

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2020, 15:27:51 »
my WD RTN'd over night about 2 months ago, nothing else in the tank was effected, so confused!
That’s really odd. WD is a tough little coral.