2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: 144g Half Circle Build  (Read 2081 times)

Offline Neogenesis

144g Half Circle Build
« on: January 01, 2015, 22:49:57 »
Well,

As a lot of you have seen, my 180g has come down, and since it's a new year, it's time for a new tank.  She was a good tank, was one of the first to run full LED, I've learned a LOT of lessons, but she's run her course and now it's time to move on.

First a few pics of the old tank.

Next up, what' I'm going to replace it with, a Oceanic 144g half circle tank.

The previous owner didn't have the original  stand,  so he had a cabinet maker build one, while close to being sufficient, the workmanship showed it's flaws.  The entire front and sides of the stand are VERY well built, however the rear was lacking, and one of the rear supports broke.  It was caught it time with no harm to the tank, but the stand needed to be fixed.  So two new beefier hard oak supports were added, no knots in the wood, laminated, the wood will shatter before they come apart. Any gaps were shimmed and glued so everything is tight now, there should be no more stress points in the entire stand. I just need to cut a new back to the stand and it'll be complete.

Pics of the stand and tank as I got it:

Where the workmanship was a little light, should have been built thicker as 2 of these take ALL the weight for the rear of the stand:

The crappy workmanship that makes me want to puke:

Tank:

Stand post painting as the the stain wasn't even close to matching what's in the house:

The sump is challenging on this build with the irregular stand.  With the skimmer I chose to run, I HAVE to go with a 30 breeder otherwise I can't get the skimmer body out if I ever need to service it.  Thanks for the 40 breeder Wall Tank, but looks like I'm not going to be using it on this particular build.  The 30 breeder I picked up had blued silicone, so I wasn't comfortable using it as it.  So I broke out a razor today, and stripped all the silicone.  Next up, getting baffles cut, and re-silicone everything.

Pics:

Now for the skimmer I chose, Reef Octopus DCS250-INT 10" Internal skimmer rated for 400g.  Overkill yes, but I'm not F**king around with a skimmer this time around.  I got it used but with the brand new rediesigned dc pump.  Hopefully no more fried pumps which the early gens are known for.

Pics:

Pics of the 30 half Hex Acrylic I'm using as a temp holding tank:

I think that's enough for now, more to come soon.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 22:55:49 by Neogenesis »

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: 144g Half Circle Build
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 23:02:02 »
That looks nice, can't wait to see it finished.   Sorry the large tank didn't worrk out for you.  Are you sure that 30 is going to hold enough water to run that skimmer, and handle the water if the power goes out?

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 23:08:09 »
It's going to be close, I need to do more math, I haven't actually designed the sump yet.  Skimmer only need 8" of water depth, which leaves 5 inches of water till the tank's full.  I really don't want to go with the 40 since I won't ever be able to get the skimmer body out.  I'm near the point that I'm cutting out a fuge just to get a larger return section.  KISS methodology if going to come into play here.

Offline Mussin

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 23:11:19 »
So what's going in the 144?

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2015, 23:15:26 »
It's being designed as a reef, however it may live as a fowler for a while, that's undecided yet.

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 22:52:46 »
Well guys,

Need a bit of advice here.  So if I stick with the 30g sump like I would like to, I'm looking at about 14 gallons of overflow available.   Do you think that will be enough for the backflow from the tank and 3 reactors in the event of a power outage?  I'm thinking it'll work but would like to hear your thoughts.

Thanks!!!

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 23:08:18 »
I wouldn't expect more then a gallon being added to sump after cutting power. Can you share the plumbing design. Perhaps we can help tweak it a bit.

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2015, 23:20:59 »
I'm actually expecting a few gallons, depending how full the skimmer is, there is a 1/2 gallon or more there.  I don't have a good feel for how much water vs foam is in the body while it's running.  I'm going to draw up the sump design here as well as a plumbing design, but it's KISS.   We're talking a skimmer section, bubble trap, and return section.  No fuge, but will be running 3 reactors, one which is possibly bio pellets.  I figure depending on how the plumbing works out, I'm hoping no more than 5 gallons from the tank/reactors/and skimmers.

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2015, 00:28:37 »
A quick and dirty of the sump, like I said incredibly basic. Both drains from the tank, and all 3 reactors will drain into the skimmer section.  I'll be running a single DC return pump.   Skimmer section will be running at 6.5" of water, return section will be at 5.5" of water.  The sump is basically split down the middle, almost of equal sizem mostly due to the size of the skimmer.

Like I said, super simple, no frills here.  Adequate or no?

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2015, 01:53:36 »
Do you use loc-line or plumbing that goes under water in display that back siphons. Usually that is cause for a lot of water. I like to have all loc-line/plumbing above the water with only about 1/8" or less breaking surface. No need to use messy siphon breaks and no ugly plumbing showing. Almost no water will back siphon.

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2015, 01:58:38 »
Never though about it that way before, Loc-Line it is, and since I just checked the returns in the tank came with it.