2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: 46 bow-2nd try to post  (Read 3410 times)

Offline Todd W.

• Adult
46 bow-2nd try to post
« on: July 31, 2008, 10:22:15 »
46 Gallon Bowfront (up for 13 months)
(recently redone, got rid of original sand/gravel bed... created plenum following GARF.org design and added the sump/refugium)
Coralife 96 Watt Actinic, 96 Wall Daylight (10,000K)
Fluval 305
1200 Maxijets x2
300GPH overflow
30 Gallon Sump/Refugium
AquaEuro for return
CPR backpack skimmer (originally hang off tank before sump)
live sand from Florida
2 Clams (need more)
6 Mangroves (other 45 in 10 gallon to sprout and weed out the dead)
45-50 pounds live rock
2 misbarred clowns (looks like I may be a dad soon... they have found a spot)
4 Chromis
1 originally thought to be emporer damsel, following research and watching him nip a toadstool he is actually a bowtie damsel. He lives in the refugium right now, he may be joined by the hawk if more snails turn up with white chalk lines around them in the morning.....
1 Lawnmower Blenny
3 Engineer Gobies (wife wanted these) they will be big soon
1 Falco Hawkfish (keeping an eye on this guy, he is new, I saw him tag a snail, so I need to adjust food for him)
1 seacucumber
1 brittle star
3 emerald crabs
1 coral banded
1 peppermint (mysterious disappeared after adding the hawkfish, he only comes out occasionally)
Clean up crew blue hermits, red hermits, nassarius, trocus, turbo, cerith, 1 zebra hermit, 2 halloween (recently removed to sump as they were chomping on star polyp home)
Multiple corals..... See pics......

Whew.....

Total up time 13 months.

I re-did the base last month. Originally had a deep base of 1/2 reef sand, and 1/2 aragonite, no plenum. I couldn't reduce my nitrates or phosphates for love or money.

SOooooooo, Joel at Aquariums Etc suggested that that base was causing the issue, he was right. I pulled everyone and everything out, put in a plenum from designs I got from GARF.org, redid the sand. To make things more interesting, I then put in a refugium.

I supported several Locals....
Sand and idea from Aquariums Etc.
Pump from North Dixie
Overflow from Gerbers.

Hardware from Lowes and Menards.

Within 1 week the phospates were 0 and nitrates were <10.

Todd

Offline verper

Re: 46 bow-2nd try to post
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 18:57:28 »
Welcome, your tank looks good.  I'm interested to see how the plenum works for you.  I almost put one in when I started my 120 but changed my mind at the last minute.  Lucky for me that I've never had nitrate problems or I might be second guessing myself.  Keep us posted on how your nitrated go.

Offline Secondgen

• Lifetime Premium Member
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 16:22:24 »
Any updates on your plenum system Todd? I thought about a plenum system as well just didn't follow through. GARF.org is a great site.

Offline Todd W.

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 19:19:56 »
Well 2 months into it and Nitrates are at 10, phosphates at 0.  Still having a bit of a problem with Green Hair Algae but I believe that I need a RO/DI instead of the plain RO....

Full tank and then left to right.... I'm playing with Picasa and with the wife's camera so bear with me....

« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 19:30:59 by Todd W. »

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 21:06:51 »
Looks good...minus the hair algae, like ya said.  Don't worry...we all had a bout with it at some point or another.  If you search back a good bit, there were a couple of long threads on it.  One was by me...I finally got rid of mine by getting an RO/DI, using a skimmer, changing all of my lights, and adding a phosphate reactor and remote deep sand bed.  I was impatient and just did them all at once, so I don't know where that key was. 

I think with the RO/DI and TDS meter, you'll quickly find your problem.  If not, I would look to adding a remote deep sandbed if you're already skimming.  They're inexpensive and really efficient in my experience.  Only downside I've found is that you have to change them out every 1-2 years.

NORTHDIXIEREEF

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 23:13:12 »
TANK IS LOOKING REAL NICE. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK

Offline Todd W.

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 17:36:17 »
Yep got a skimmer (bakpak, could be bigger), Need to change lights, they are right at 6 months old (like to switch to MH), I have a fuge with sand bed.... No phospate reactor, need to purchase a RO/DI....

All that cost money so will have to do little at a time....

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2008, 15:30:00 »
Yup...understand completely.  I would try the remote deep sandbed.  For about $10, you could solve your problem.  Just get a 5g bucket and some play-sand from Home Depot...a couple of gaskets and some tubing...(and you do have to use a powerhead...which will cost more than $10 unless you have an extra one) and that could fix your problem.