2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: how small is too small?  (Read 1449 times)

Offline Ballyhoo

• Juvenile
how small is too small?
« on: June 30, 2012, 14:24:44 »
I just picked up a new male clownfish from marine soultions to pair with Penny my female. He's about an inch long and she's about 3 inches. Should I let the little fella grow out a bit before I introduce them?

The tank is a 40 breeder with 50lbs of LR the only inhabitants are penny and a six line named hush

As they both sank to the bottom of the river, the frog said "do you mind if I ask you something? You said there would be no logic in your stinging me. Why did you do it?" "It has nothing to do with logic," the drowning scorpion sadly replied. "It's just self destruction is my nature."

Offline Steve

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Re: how small is too small?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 15:43:28 »
What type of clown, do you have anem or anems?

Offline Shep

• Juvenile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 08:24:03 »
it's been my experience that as long as they are the same kind of clown it won't be a problem...

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 10:03:17 »
I feel it's better to introduce him now rather than later, however keep a watchful eye on aggression.  If she beats him up to bad you may need to separate them, let him heal up and then reintroduce them.  This happened with my pair of Picasso's, she completely chewed off his tail which has thankfully regrown,  and now they are best buds.  Just keep a eye on them and they'll be ok.

What type of clown are we talking about?

Offline Kenn

• Lifetime Premium Member
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 10:37:58 »
I feel it's better to introduce him now rather than later, however keep a watchful eye on aggression.  If she beats him up to bad you may need to separate them, let him heal up and then reintroduce them.  This happened with my pair of Picasso's, she completely chewed off his tail which has thankfully regrown,  and now they are best buds.  Just keep a eye on them and they'll be ok.

What type of clown are we talking about?

+1 ... Excellent advice and has also worked for me in the past.
Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >