2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Fish shipping  (Read 1721 times)

Offline Sonnyred

• Adult
Fish shipping
« on: November 27, 2012, 01:58:50 »
Does anyone know what service I can use to ship fish to a family member within the states and how much?

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
Re: Fish shipping
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 07:29:23 »
Ups or FedEx, either one has overnight shipping.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 07:48:21 »
Shipping fish is quite pricey, rates for overnight packages are based on package dimensions and weight.   Your personal rates are going to be much higher than you see many online stores.   Also, you will need an insulated box, heat packs, and the bags that the fish are in will need to be filled with plenty of water and then pressurized with oxygen.

I would venture to say that you will easily have $100 in costs.

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 08:16:17 »
What kind of fish are you shipping? Is it one you have and giving away or are you buying a new fish for someone?

I only ask as it could very well be cheaper to buy one from a LFS local to your relative then trying to ship one yourself... Or purchase online and have it shipped to them.
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 08:29:10 »
I also thought if you tell UPS or FED EX it's a live anything they wouldn't ship it unless you are a business?  I could be wrong about that but I think I called one time to ship a coral and was told that.  I just said it was fish "equipment" when I did ship it.

Offline Viggen

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 08:54:38 »
Like stated fed ex, ups etc offer those miser vices but it can get expensive.  I would think it would be $50+ per box to ship.....

It might be easier to just box them up and either meet him half way or drive the entire way.  i forget where you said he lives but 8 ish hours away.  I would bad them and drive them....
300g tub o fish

Offline Sonnyred

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 10:43:14 »
Thanks everyone for the info. Yea I'm going to call a few places mentioned and weigh out the pros and cons.

Offline volcano

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 13:08:49 »
You can get discounted rates through FedEx if you use www.reptilesexpress.com or www.shipyourreptiles.com

Depending on what state you are sending the fish, the price will be almost $100.00 considering the weight of the water. 

Make sure you ship your fish in quality bags and even double up on them.   Then pressurize and oxygenate your water and include a heat pack and ship them in an insulated box.  Mark all 4 sides & the top of the box "Perishable, Live Harmless Fish"  in large, bold, print and put arrows pointed up right on it. 

Offline njrdc

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Juvenile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2012, 00:39:25 »
its going to cost you