2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Where did my Royal Gramma go?  (Read 1829 times)

Offline volcano

Where did my Royal Gramma go?
« on: December 26, 2012, 16:03:38 »
I had a nice and healthy Royal gramma.  It wasn't shy and was always front and center.  Yesterday,  it was nowhere to be spotted.  Today, the same situation.  It seems he vanished.  I checked the filter socks, etc.  and nothing.   BTW,  my tank has a lid, so it couldn't have jumped out.

Why did you leave me on Christmas! :'(

All my levels test out perfect, and I have zero predators that would eat him.  I do have a serpent star, but it hasn't eaten fish that I know of and it is not the green variety.

Any ideas?

Offline Steve

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Re: Where did my Royal Gramma go?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 16:40:19 »
I have had a few fish perish that seemed perfectly healthy, out least outwardly. I had a male saddleback die and get eaten by his anemone 2 days after spawning. Do you have any large brain corals or any anemones?

Offline volcano

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 16:45:43 »
Yeah, I have 2 large acans and a large RBTA, but a clown lives in that.  I don't see the clown allowing the gramma to even get close.

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 18:12:03 »
Have you adddd anything to the tank lately? I have had a fire fish & an orchid dottyback both disappear for a week or more before. The dottyback has always been shy. But the fire fish is & was always out. Then one day gone. I wrote it off as dead. Then one day it popped up, out of no were.

Here is a link to like situations. http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=14357.0

Offline volcano

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 18:48:41 »
Nope, nothing new to the tank at all.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 21:38:45 »
While they seem bold as heck.   They can get scared.   He is probably hiding inside a rock.

Offline volcano

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2012, 20:42:09 »
It's still gone!  Very unusual for this fish.  It is always front and center and afraid of nothing.  Not sure what happened, but I can't find it anywhere.  I wonder if adding another will bring it out of hiding or is it just dead and wedged in a rock?

Offline west chester reef

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 18:45:34 »
    Any chance of a worm? I lost a jawfish and a watchman in the same night, and they lived in the same hole? check this out

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 22:24:21 »
Looks like a bristleworm to me. As far as I knowthey won't kill. They are scavengers. They will help a dead fish disappear.

Offline volcano

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 15:35:29 »
I have never seen a worm in my tank, not even a bristle worm.  I am starting to think my serpent star ate him.  I would think by now his dead body would have floated to the surface, but it has not and it isn't in my sump. 

Offline EricShane

• Fry
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2012, 15:51:47 »
Yeah, looks like a bristle worms but couldbe a fire worm or medusa worm?

Offline west chester reef

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2012, 18:03:15 »
It only comes out at night, and if a fish sleeps near it its a gonner, and anytime i have lost a fish, i have never seen it again. figured that was the clean up crew at work.