2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Thoughts on Kole Tang and Yellow Tang  (Read 1889 times)

Offline AJ

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
  • A.J.
Thoughts on Kole Tang and Yellow Tang
« on: October 10, 2014, 19:20:57 »
So, we are going to get some new fish.  We want to add some tangs to our tank.  I know the first question is how big is the tank....  It is only a 75 right now, but it has minimal rock and we plan on upgrading to at least a 125 in the next year or so. 

Anyway, that isnt the issue.  I am concerned about the aggression toward each other.  We plan on getting them at the same time so neither is established in the tank.  Has anyone kept these two fish together successfully?

Offline Blazinreef

• Adult
Re: Thoughts on Kole Tang and Yellow Tang
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 19:26:33 »
I have a kole tang in my 57.  He is awesome and picks at algae all the time.  His color is great.  I recently got a very very small yellow tang, about a third the size of the kole.  They circled and flared for the first day, now they are best friends and are constantly together.
Firefighting:  How hard can it be?  You just put the wet stuff on the red stuff right?

57 Rimless SPS/LPS in the works

OLD:180g mixed reef, 60g sump, 2 30g frag tanks, 30g macro algae tank.  300g total system.

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 19:31:45 »
They both originate from Hawaii, and are different  species, shouldn't be a problem. I have a yellow and a Blue eyed tang, which is similar to the yellow eyed and I have never had an issue.

Offline Viggen

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 21:10:20 »
Yes upgrading to at least a 125g is what these guys need

I have that pair in my tank... They never bothered each other and were added to the tank at the same time

My yellow eye kole shows a lot more agression towards the other fish/tangs
300g tub o fish

Offline Mussin

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 13:43:23 »
I have a kole and yellow in my 90. They Get along fine.

Offline Miles

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2014, 12:10:55 »
I had a kohl and a yellow in my 75 for a few years. Never showed any aggression towards one another. They were great up until the power outage that happened when I was on vacation. :(

Offline Bigtom802l

• Fry
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2014, 22:08:30 »
i have a 120 gallon with a kole tang that was in there for a while.  We got 3 yellow tangs and they ignore the kole tang.  The yellows get along will also for the most part.  They get testy with each other from time to time but nothing to really get excited about.