2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: first batch  (Read 3958 times)

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
first batch
« on: May 18, 2009, 22:58:39 »
Finally got the Nanno i ordered from Florida farms.  They were on vacation when i ordered, so it only took 3 weeks for a disk... I started it yesterday.  I did make a stupid mistake, i somehow read from the wrong side of the refractometer. suppose to mix to 1.020, but for some reason i mixed to 20% ??? .... Nanno is a both fresh and marine species so I think it will be ok if the first batch lives.  I'll just fix it to 1.020 when i split it in a week. 

75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
Re: first batch
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 06:57:52 »
So what does 20% equal for the salinity?  If I remember right from when I cultured phyto, the perfect salinity was a big deal.  It could just be the way the picture is, but the phyto looks very light to me.   

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 18:41:41 »
yea 1 disk of algae does just barley make the color change.  Everything is by Melev's directions except the salt SNAFU.  It is definitely a few shades darker than when i started it.  So its growing  :)

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 20:24:07 »
Good, glad to hear it!  :)

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
First Split
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 21:03:58 »
Here it is after 8 days:

After the first split:

Going out town this weekend again.  Will have 2 Gal of Nanno when i get back. Ready to start giving it away if you live close.  :)

Offline bkvreef

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 21:59:11 »
Ok here's where I play dumb and ask.  What is it for?
Thanks and God Bless,
John

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 22:05:19 »
Phytoplankton is one of the basis of the food web. rotifers pods featherduster etc will eat it.  I am hoping to increase the amount of bugs and stuff in my fuge

Offline bkvreef

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 22:41:01 »
I thought so just hadn't heard of Nanno before.

How long will it survive and split in your bottles?
Thanks and God Bless,
John

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 22:59:10 »
nanno= Nannochloripus its a strain of phyto.  If i remember right its the strain with the highest % fatty acid.  Its good for fry.

If you buy a live strain like I did, you can keep growing it and splitting it forever.  You just split it half matured culture and half new culture media (salt water and fertilizer).  Check out Melev's reef for a nice condensed article
http://www.melevsreef.com/phytoplankton.html

Offline rayviv

• Here fishy, fishy.
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 23:01:03 »
I was reading that on Melev's site and wondered how well it would work. I'm glad you posted this for us. I'll try some if you have enough left over. I'm still not sure how it set up.
The mind is a wonderful servant but a dangerous master!

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2009, 23:23:21 »
I spent about $20 on the fertilizer and disk of nanno.  airpump and stuff i had laying around.  I am hoping to boost my pod population and maybe get a mandrin

Offline rayviv

• Here fishy, fishy.
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2009, 22:44:33 »
Whats the connection with the Mandarin?

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2009, 23:17:44 »
hopefully using Phyto I will see a noticeable increase in pods and be able to feel comfortable getting a mandrin.

Offline rayviv

• Here fishy, fishy.
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2009, 00:05:27 »
is that why I couldnt keep one alive in my fish only tank?

Reefd Up

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2009, 06:35:46 »
is that why I couldnt keep one alive in my fish only tank?

Depending on the fish you had and the size of your tank, the other fish may have been out-competing the mandarin for food.  Chances are, you had faster fish...which ate the mandarin's food first.  Having fish with similar diets with a mandarin is a no-no too (unless the tank is huge.)

Offline rayviv

• Here fishy, fishy.
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2009, 12:27:58 »
IT WAS A 220-GAL. And the one that Joel had taken us from fresh water to salts with. But I dont remember if it was before or after we lost track of Joel. I had one that just disappeared ant we got another one and found a decorator crab eating the 2nd one. I did not know anything about copepods and such back then. Still dont know much but it is a process. :laugh: I dont think I'm learning as fast as I use to. WHERE IS Ponce D'aleon ??? Did he ever find that Fountain?   ;D
 I love the way they look but am almost afraid to get another one.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2009, 00:32:50 »
I have a ton of pods in my fuge, and always find giant dead pods floating in my tank (pump killed i guess) but i dont really see alot running around on the rocks. 

I have seen pics of people's tanks that literally have SWARMS of pods.  So much that they irriatate fish and cause coral to close up... must be a nice problem to have.  If i had the room I'd love an above tank fuge.

Offline rayviv

• Here fishy, fishy.
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2009, 08:43:33 »
I'm setting up this 180g and could really use some. Are you selling these or just giving them away? Either way I would like to get some to prime new sump. I live in huber and go in your direction often.

I appreciate your knowledge and input. Thanks, Ray

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2009, 13:19:30 »
I'll have a Ton of this stuff pretty soon.  I'll split it almost once a week and its good for over a week in the fridge after maturing.

I'll give some to you.  A frag or something for trade would be nice but not necessary

Offline rayviv

• Here fishy, fishy.
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2009, 13:48:18 »
rain check on the frag? I wouldnt want to give away any of what I have because they dont look very good at the time.
 I could bring you my recordia and see if you can doctor them back to health; or my green polyps which seems to have developed a crust that looks like alge. my zoes have turned brown and my bubble tip has went from white/pink-tipped to brown. I just dont know what I'm doing wrong.

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2009, 14:09:47 »
I have a ton of pods in my fuge, and always find giant dead pods floating in my tank (pump killed i guess) but i dont really see alot running around on the rocks. 

I have seen pics of people's tanks that literally have SWARMS of pods.  So much that they irriatate fish and cause coral to close up... must be a nice problem to have.  If i had the room I'd love an above tank fuge.

I guess that explains the giant dead pods on my tank lol. Pump must have got em.