2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: ID my urchin?  (Read 1669 times)

Offline Ballyhoo

• Juvenile
ID my urchin?
« on: March 07, 2012, 17:35:50 »
This bad boy was labeled as a long spine but I don't think that's what he is. I've never seen him carry anything around, just knocks everything over >.<

As they both sank to the bottom of the river, the frog said "do you mind if I ask you something? You said there would be no logic in your stinging me. Why did you do it?" "It has nothing to do with logic," the drowning scorpion sadly replied. "It's just self destruction is my nature."

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: ID my urchin?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 17:43:22 »
Well it has long spines :)

But this is not your normal black long spine urchin.    Urchins with spines to not pickup and carry items, but are very good at knocking things over.

Look here.  http://www.wetwebmedia.com/urchins.htm

But I would look at page 2, and I think this is your guy.      Echinometra lacunter, the Rock-Boring Urchin. Dark colored with red highlights.  2-3 inches in diameter. Relatively short, pointed spines. Tropical West Atlantic.

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 17:56:06 »
Yup, rock boring urchin. They're not very good at eating algae, but an interesting addition, nonetheless.

Offline Ballyhoo

• Juvenile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 12:48:24 »
Thank you!!
As they both sank to the bottom of the river, the frog said "do you mind if I ask you something? You said there would be no logic in your stinging me. Why did you do it?" "It has nothing to do with logic," the drowning scorpion sadly replied. "It's just self destruction is my nature."