2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: How is everyone's tank?  (Read 9176 times)

Offline Amstar

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
How is everyone's tank?
« on: September 15, 2008, 00:08:25 »
well all of the places losing power just wondering how everyones tank made it through it.  I came into work so I could get some of my school work done that is due tonight. 

Hopefully my tank will be okay.  I had a generator on the tank for almost 5 hours with just my pump running and lights on the sump going. Well for some reason my generator went out... ya great.  I was able to locate three pumps that operate on batteries and pump air into the tank through air-stones. So honestly I have no idea how tank is doing right now.

just hope everyone's tank makes it through the power outages.

slandis3

Re: How is everyone's tank?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 00:12:05 »
our power was only out untill about 5:30 but i have a power inverter i can run my main pump on. i also hope everyone else is ok.

Offline Viggen

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 08:08:58 »
my power came on sometime last night, I woke up at around 5:30 AM & my monitor was on.

Since my tank is a FO tank I just added a bucket of h20 from my sump to the tank every hour or so to get a little circulation.  They all seem fine this morning...

However, I am not going to make a battery backup sysytem for my tank so I do not have to stress out about the tank not being on any more.  I went to Meijers last night to try to throw one together but they didn't have boat bilge pumps.....

300g tub o fish

mash35231

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 08:20:46 »
The electricity was out for 15 hours and I lost 2 fish and 3 shrimp. It could have been worse....I'll be looking for a battery operated air pump and water pump...How much is a power inverter?

slandis3

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 08:42:49 »
they start at $50 and go up

Offline JoeAyers

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 09:41:10 »
Power went out at 2pm yesterday and is still out. We are staying in a hotel right now.  Midwest Express came during the outage and got my cube.  My battery backup has been running strong since 2p yesterday on the temp tank everything is in. I'm currently running a return pump and a tunze and my forklift battery is still showing full charge after 20 hours.

Joe

apelaston

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 10:56:18 »
Everything is fine in my tank but i am going 2 get something 2 run it while i am out of power next time. i was freakn out. any suggestions. i have no idea what i need.

Offline MSUJenn

• Juvenile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 11:00:58 »
I've got a couple of battery powered airstones in my tanks, and I had to boil water on my grill this morning to float in water bottles inside the tank to keep the temp up. Everything seems to be ok so far. It's been without power for about 24 hours. If I could find a place that wasn't sold out of generators, I would go pick one up. I hope everyone else's tanks are ok.

slandis3

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 11:48:29 »
give 669-6150 a call. Thats the # for menards here in tipp. We had our power back on last night about 5:30 they might have one.

NORTHDIXIEREEF

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 13:21:55 »
I STILL HAVE A COUPLE OF BETTERY PUMPS AND 3 AUTO BATTERY BACK UPS.
A INVERTER AND A CAR BATTERY TO RUN A HEATER AND POWERHEAD ON WORKS GREAT TO AND A LOT CHEAPER THAN A GENERATOR. PLUS YOU CAN USE THE INVERTER ON CAMPING TRIPS AND SUCH.

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 14:07:12 »
well I havent turned on my lights to see whats going on with the tank.  I am back to work again but before I came in I was able to get the crapped out generator to run and I also hooked up another generator that my dad had.  The generator is so big that my fridge, tv, dvd players, some lights, a fan or two and my entire tank heaters, return pump, power heads, and lights on the sump are up and running.  Letting my next door neighbor use the older generator for their fridge.

Glad to hear  there were not to many problems with everyone.  Just hope my electricity comes on some time soon

Offline jjw2121

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2008, 15:30:51 »
I am driving to Anderson Indiana to get a generator tonight.  From what I saw this morning everything is OK.  I was told by my friends dad that works at DPL, I may not get electricity until friday or saturday.  Crossing my fingers that everything is OK come 10 pm tonight when I get it hooked up.

quicksilver

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2008, 16:33:14 »
I only lost power for a few hours my two 970W battery back ups hold out prety strong only $160 a pice you can get the at best buy. no loss here. Hope you guys with out power make it if not I have a spare 55 fish tank up stairs ready to go.  ;D

Offline MSUJenn

• Juvenile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2008, 17:18:08 »
Fortunately, our power was back on today when I got home around 2pm. The tank seemed fine, so my little airstones and hot water bottles must have helped a little. I was a little worried this morning when some of my lps looked stressed. My plate coral was swollen to 3x's the amount it normally is at night, and my acans were all shriveled up. Once I got the temp up to where it usually is, things started to look better. Definately going to invest in something to operate at least a pump and heater on for next time though. It's something I always knew would be good to have, but never thought I would actually need.

Offline Baggerhog

• Adult
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2008, 21:04:14 »
My power was out for a total of 26 hours. I have a 6250 watt generator that I had running to operate the return pump, Refridgerator, and my big screen. It took about 10 gallons of gas. I would reccomend to anyone that has a tank of 100 gallons or more with $1000 or more invested in fish and corals to purchase a small generator to operate their return pump at a minimum. I spent like $550 and it has saved my azz twice.
Andy
Batavia, Ohio
500 Reef with 320 gallon sump setup

Offline JoeAyers

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2008, 22:00:13 »
Heading into hour 33 without power. Thank goodness for batteries and neighbors who have power and unprotected wireless or I would be bored to tears.   :'( :)

So far no floating fish.

Offline rmstevensiii

• Adult
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2008, 22:10:28 »
tanks dead...  been down 36hrs and no ETA on when pwr will b restored.  have 2 clowns and a lawnmower blenny that someone can have if they make it till tomorrow.  need to cancel the meeting for this month. sad sad day.  will keep u posted.
Dayton - 45459

Offline JoeAyers

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2008, 22:18:53 »
tanks dead...  been down 36hrs and no ETA on when pwr will b restored.  have 2 clowns and a lawnmower blenny that someone can have if they make it till tomorrow.  need to cancel the meeting for this month. sad sad day.  will keep u posted.

bummer. let us know when you rebuild. We can all help out with livestock.

slandis3

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2008, 22:19:59 »

Man i am so sorry to hear this. If anyone else is starting to lose there tank i have some room in our tank if needed. We have be fortunate to have had power since yesterday.  Has anyone heard from Joel or just coral? NDR seems to be doing good
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 22:22:39 by slandis3 »

Offline MSUJenn

• Juvenile
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2008, 22:38:50 »
That sucks Mitch. I'm sorry to hear that. Let me know if I can help you out with anything.

NORTHDIXIEREEF

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2008, 23:03:11 »
I MAY BEABLE TO FIND SOME ROOM AT THE SHOP IF NEEDED. BUT LET KNOW AS SOON AS YOU CAN. I HAVE A FISH ORDER DUE AT THE STORE IN THE MORNING AND A CORAL ORDER DUE AT THE AIR PORT SOMETIME AFTER NOON. I ALSO HAVE ROOM IN A 180, 125 & A 75 REEF AT HOME. IF I CAN HELP JUST LET ME KNOW.

ALSO I WILL HAVE MORE HURRICANE CATEGORY2 BATTERY POWERED AIR PUMPS INSTOCK LATE THURSDAY. I AM NOW OUT OF ALL AIRSTONES, TUBING, BATTERY PUMPS AND BATTERY BACKUPS.

I USALLY DO NOT OFFER PRE MIXED RO WATER, BUT FOR THOSE WITHOUT POWER I WILL BE MORE THAN HAPPY TO MIX SOME UP ( PLEASE SMALLER AMOUNTS) FOR YOU. JUST CALL BEFORE YOU COME TO MAKE SURE I HAVE THE WATER IN STOCK, I HAVE MANY PEOPLE NEEDING IT.  THE SALT I USE IS RED SEA CORAL PRO OR BRING YOUR OWN AND I WILL MIX IT FOR YOU.

BEST OF LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Secondgen

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2008, 23:55:04 »
Sorry to hear about your tank Mitch. We lost power for a little less than 24hrs, and I had one fatality which was my banded coral shrimp.

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2008, 07:42:22 »
Yesterday (monday) was a nightmare for me, very few of my service accounts have electricity. I spent most of the day going to service accounts and removing the live stock or installing batt powered air pumps. I'm out of batt powered pumps, so are all the bait shops and sporting goods stores. No body had "D" batteries to power these pumps, it sucked!!!! I now have power at the shop so I started taking fish / corals to the shop to tank them until this is over. I have a limited amount of space to hold fish & corals if anyone needs it. PM me or respond here and we'll get it worked out. I'll check the site and my email on and off thru out the day.

Joel

Offline Slicktrax

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2008, 08:34:34 »
i have room in my tank for anyone needs a fish hotel.  i can also make some rodi water if anyone needs it.  just pm me.

rick
That one guy who used to be on all the time......

mrs. justcoral

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2008, 08:47:02 »
we are good here. We bought a 5,000/6,250 watt generator Sunday night. We have all the tanks, two refrigerators, well pump, exhaust system, satellite tv, alarm system, microwave, cell phone chargers, and at one point an electric chainsaw (trees down) running on it.  I'm sure our neighbors are ready to kill us because of all the noise the generator makes! We do have room if anyone wants to bring stuff over. They are telling us that the power will be out for 4-5 days here.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 08:57:06 by Sharona »

Offline Baggerhog

• Adult
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2008, 10:36:40 »
Did you and Scott get that generator from Sams Club? If so its the same one I have and it was great. I did not try and run as much stuff as you guys did. How long did a tank of gas last you with all of that running? Just Curious I went through about 10 gallons of gas for a 26 hour period.
Andy
Batavia, Ohio

Offline Todd W.

• Adult
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2008, 11:22:00 »
Well no power since Sunday.... I have been rotating 2 car batteries using a 140W power converter for my 46 gallon.  The converter runs a very small 25watt heater and a power head with rotating wave maker that I have placed an air line in to suck and infuse air into the water.  So far everyone is still alive as I have covered the tank with blankets to keep everyone alive.  All the softies that I have, have gone dormant.

QUESTION... should I continue to cover the tank for warmth retention or move to a window to get some natural sunlight for the corals?????

ANY opinion would help....

slandis3

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2008, 11:34:32 »
i would just keep it covered. Moving it may stress out everything worse than it is now. If you need a bigger inverter meijers in troy has 410w continous for $50. I wish you guys and gals without power the best of luck. My work is closed again today so i will be home if someone needs my help   we have some extra room here in our tank if you want to bring us some stuff.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 11:42:42 by slandis3 »

Offline JoeAyers

« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2008, 11:53:47 »
I have an extra 750w APS if anyone has batteries they can use and I have about 40 gallons of saltwater if anyone needs it bad enough to drive to cincinnati to get it.

mrs. justcoral

« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2008, 12:29:20 »
Did you and Scott get that generator from Sams Club? If so its the same one I have and it was great. I did not try and run as much stuff as you guys did. How long did a tank of gas last you with all of that running? Just Curious I went through about 10 gallons of gas for a 26 hour period.

Last night, we only had the tanks, the alarm system and one light on and it went through 5 gallons in 14.5 hours. We haven't really payed attention during the day when we have all the other stuff on but I can tell you that we are tired of driving over 30 minutes to find a gas station that has power AND gas! And then they only take cash! Ugh!

mrs. justcoral

« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2008, 13:10:39 »
we got it at a lowes in troy. It was the closest place to us that still had any generators. It's a Coleman.

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2008, 13:32:27 »
I have a coleman 5500 I am running a big screen tv, dvd player, a fan, the fridge, a heater, return pump and light on the sump and I am going through 6 gallons a gas every 14 hours.. not bad. 

on the side note.  If I have the capability should I turn on the metal halides for a few hours to give the coral some light?  the tank has been in the dark since sunday at 1pm.

mrs. justcoral

« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2008, 13:49:08 »
It is good to run some light. This will keep your coral from fading and healthy. We are running a halide on each of our coral systems with our generator.

Scott 

Offline Todd W.

• Adult
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2008, 15:01:33 »
Whew....

Former neighbors in Enon are loaning us their generator.... When I get home I will have to check it out, not sure what size it is.  Thank goodness my wife was visiting them for lunch when she asked...

Offline larrynews

« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2008, 15:59:25 »
my power just came back on i lost 3 fish in my fish only the first night..my fault but the 125 reef seems to have made it...48 hours to the minute almost..bought a 100w generator back in the winter when i thought we were going to have an ice storm...best thing i ever did

Offline jjw2121

• Adult
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2008, 16:26:54 »
What a night last night.  I drove 2 hours to Indiana to buy a generator to make sure my tank would make it.  I was told we would not get power until Sunday.  I was halfway there and got a call that the power was restored.  I still bought the 5550 watt generator for another emergency.  All my fish and coral made it.  I guess my tank was better than I thought. :) LOL

slandis3

« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2008, 20:57:58 »
has anyone heard from verper or reefed up? I havent seen them post anything in a while.

Offline MSUJenn

• Juvenile
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2008, 21:02:40 »
Nikki and Will came over to my house last night. She was using a generator on her tank (I belive it was Scott's, so he must have power back). I gave her my battery airstones for the frag tank. It sounded like her tanks were doing okay, but they had bigger problems to worry about, with the tree down in their front yard, and DP&L said they wouldn't have power back for a week, so she might not be on for awhile.

Midwest Express

« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2008, 22:00:14 »
I wish there was something I could do to help since I never lost power at all, but with the crash of my 125... only thing I have established is my 14 gal biocube.  It hold the only fish that made it out of the 125 alive.  My 3.5 in tomato clown.  He looks crazy huge in there.

Sorry guys and hope all get through this as best that be done!

This thread makes me glad that I joined this forum and make me sure of wanting to gain membership to the group!

Offline Revaltion131

• Adult
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2008, 22:40:19 »
I hadn't even thought about airation the first night our power was out, and I lost my little cherub angel overnight, after my fairy decided to jump despite the lid on Saturday morning.  We were able to rig a little converter and set up an airstone and my clown and gobies made it.  The anemone that's been hiding in the back corner of the tank starting moving towards the light, and I was worried he'd move all the way across the tank and sting every last coral on his way.  Thankfully, that didn't happen.  The only casualty was the angel and the return pump that we must have shorted out trying to plug into a converter.  The tank is small enough to wrap in sleeping bags, so we did that, but the temp was down around 74, when I normally keep it at 81-82.  We tried to get a generator last night, made all the way to Indy, but no one had one.  I'm certain we'll try to get one when people have them back in stock, just to have.  I do have one positive, the time without lights looks like it's taken care of the cyano problem that was starting to come up.   ::)

I'm glad it sounds like most people made it out alright.  I was worried about Joel's shop and customers because I know Centerville and Bellbrook got pretty messed up on the power front. 

bigray

« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2008, 23:33:58 »
 I have lost 2 fish and the others are not looking so hot. The coral are all closed up. I not even sure when the power is even going to be restored. I would just like to thank Dodd at ndr once again for helping me out. I am so sorry to hear about everybodys loses. I wish everybody the best and am so happy to see how all the members are helping each other, What a club!!!!!!!!!

Offline Jon in SW Ohio

• Fry
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2008, 01:59:28 »
....................... :'(

Well I left for Houston on Saturday to help clean up after Ike and got the call on Sunday that power had gone out. I left my tanks in the hands of my mom who can follow directions very well for top ups and basic stuff but I was not prepared for a week long power outage. I'm still down in the Houston/Galveston area and got the call today from my mom that power is still not on. I asked her to go and check the temperature on the tank and she said it's at 64....but it smells really bad and is getting cloudy. I feel pretty helpless and just told her to keep an eye on the skimmer cup once the power comes back on because it's probably gonna fill up pretty quick. I'm gonna be down here for a least another week or two if not longer and I just hope something stays alive long enough for me to see it when I get back. If I come home to a dead tank I think I'm done with the hobby for good.

Offline Todd W.

• Adult
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2008, 09:02:59 »
Update on my tank...

Hooked the generator up yesterday at about 4:30PM, had to heat water to warm up the refuge on propane stove... The main tank was staying at the coldest 75, nominally at 77 and the fuge was down to 65.

Turned everything on following bring the fuge temp up to 75 and everyone is alive and kicking including the bowtie damselt that I temporarily banished to the fuge... tough little bugger...

Lessons learned that saved my butt...

Airiation - hooked a airline into the bottom of a maxijet 1200 with a rotaing wave maker makes lots of bubbles....
Heat - I have a 25watt heater designed for a nano -
2 car batteries - rotate every 12 hours, took the extra to be charged at brother-in-laws house
power converter - 140W runs the pump and heater
blankets to wrap the tank and fuge in

I did the above for 48 hours and everyone lived.  I will keep doing the same at night when we will turn the generator off to save gas and it is REALLY noisy.

We plan on hooking the generator into the house electric tonight when we have more time.

Believe it or not during the 48 hours the tank was in complete darkness the green hair algae grew!

Anyone have a decent skimmer for sale?  I have needed to upgrade and am almost positive a decent skimmer would do the trick....

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2008, 09:59:47 »

We plan on hooking the generator into the house electric tonight when we have more time.

How are you planning on connecting into the house? You need to make sure you isolate the circuits connected to the generator from the main grid. Flipping the main breaker is the easiest way.

mrs. justcoral

« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2008, 10:04:35 »
Our power is back on!!!! YAY! Hopefully it stays on! It's a good thing too because our CO detector went off last night. Somehow the fumes from the generator were getting into our house! If you are using a generator, make sure you have a CO detector in your bedroom or close by!!!

Offline Todd W.

• Adult
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2008, 10:11:24 »
How are you planning on connecting into the house? You need to make sure you isolate the circuits connected to the generator from the main grid. Flipping the main breaker is the easiest way.

Thanks for the concern, there has already been one death in Ohio from a generator....

Yep, I have an electrician in the family (father...retired from GM) who will be helping me.  I do all my own electrical wiring thanks to the hands on education that he gave me...

Things could get ugly if you don't disconnect from the grid  :o

Offline Revaltion131

• Adult
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2008, 10:34:39 »
Our power is back on!!!! YAY! Hopefully it stays on! It's a good thing too because our CO detector went off last night. Somehow the fumes from the generator were getting into our house! If you are using a generator, make sure you have a CO detector in your bedroom or close by!!!

Definitly!  Also, if you're running a converter that requires your car to be running, and the car is in the garage, make sure you leave the garage door open so you don't have CO2 problems.

Offline JoeAyers

« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2008, 10:36:28 »
68+ hours. Battery is starting to get low. I'm running a tunze only now to conserve. We are hearing rumors that our area will not be back on until Saturday at the earliest.

Got to throw a big thanks to Andy for making sure I got the last available room at his hotel. No power, no hot water and a 6 month old doesn't mix too well.

Offline Revaltion131

• Adult
« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2008, 10:39:47 »
If you can't get your battery charged, we have a couple lawn mower batteries that we may be able to loan you.

Offline rmstevensiii

• Adult
« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2008, 11:42:21 »
Update:

Monday, I was busy cleaning up the yard and trying to make sure that my local family and friends, my team (based in Cincy) and my extended team members (in the Houston area) were ok, so I didn't get to the tank till late.  By the time I got to it, I wasn't sure that anything could be saved.   1 tank was down to 70 degrees and the other was at about 68.  I pulled out my dead fish, and connected a battery and inverter to 1 PH for circulation on the 75.  The only fish I found alive were the clowns and the LMB.  The Tang, Mandarin, Alleni, Neon Dotty, and 6-Line were all gone.  The sand bed was covered in, what I thought were dead, pods, brittle stars, and bristle worms.  I sat down, in shock, and posted to the forum, what I thought was a total loss.  I was seriously contemplating draining the tanks (before they started to stink), and taking a break from the hobby or finding a hobby which didn't require a full blown life support system on standby! 

After posting, I rec'd a PM from Dodd (NDR) informing me that he had an empty 180 that I could use to store any surviving coral in and and hope for the best.  So yesterday, I rushed home, pulled out and bagged all of the large SPS pieces and took them up to his shop.  I'm still not sure what to expect, but I have my fingers crossed.  At his suggestion, I also began floating bottles of hot water in the tank to try and bring the temp back up into the mid 70's.  Not too long after I floated my first bottle, the power came back online, and I was able to fire up the heaters and PH's for both tanks.  Today, I'm planning to top off the 75 with freshly mixed water, and plan for large water change in a few days, and weekly for a while, to dilute any toxins released by the decay.  I'll be testing the water today, and daily, to keep an eye on the parameters and hopefully avoid a major cycle. 

The 29 is in about the same shape.  Warmed it up slowly, and hoping for the best.  Most of the Anthelia appears to be dead (which is OK by me) but some survived.  The GSP and other soft stuff also appear to be ok.  I'm planning to run thru the same water change cycle on this tank and hope for the best. 

I'd like to thanks Dodd and everyone else who offered space in there tanks to help me out in a time of need.  I really do appreciate it!!

Maybe, just maybe, I dodged a bullet on this one. 

RIP: 
Lg Yellow Tang (2/2004 - 9/2008)
Green Mandarin (3/2006 - 9/2008)
Alleni Damsel (9/2008 - 9/2008 ... added 9/12!)
Lg Neon Dottyback (1/2004 - 9/2008)
6-Line Wrasse (1/2008)
Coral Banded Shrimp (2/2004 - 9/2008)

Surviving:
2 False Percs
LMB
2 Stars (brittle and sand sifting)
Most of my snails and hermit crabs

Mitch
Dayton - 45459

Offline MSUJenn

• Juvenile
« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2008, 12:27:33 »
Sorry about your losses. Glad to see that the rest seems to be pulling through though. I have RO/DI water, and can mix up saltwater for anyone that needs it.

slandis3

« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2008, 13:18:46 »
i also have about 60g of ro/di on hand. if anyone needs some let me know.

Offline JoeAyers

« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2008, 15:06:05 »
If you can't get your battery charged, we have a couple lawn mower batteries that we may be able to loan you.

Thanks for the offer. But the inlaws power came back so my little generator that was running their tank is heading back to me today and Andy offered me his biggin to throw on some lights and heaters if I'm not back on by tomorrow.

Offline JoeAyers

« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2008, 15:18:49 »
Mitch,

At least it wasn't a total loss. Let me know if there is anything I can replace for you.

Joe

mrs. justcoral

« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2008, 15:25:22 »
We have a generator that we are now not using because our power is back on. If anyone wants to use it, you are more than welcome to!

Offline rmstevensiii

• Adult
« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2008, 15:45:05 »
Thanks Joe,

Appreciate the offer.

Mitch,

At least it wasn't a total loss. Let me know if there is anything I can replace for you.

Joe

Dayton - 45459

Offline verper

« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2008, 18:59:55 »
has anyone heard from verper or reefed up? I havent seen them post anything in a while.

All's well.  Lost power for only 2.5 hrs.  Good old Tipp City Co-Op.  I went out while it was still blowing and got a generator/gas as it looked like it might be a long outage (past hurricane experience kicking in).  Nikki is using it now and she might not have power until at least the weekend.  A tree fell across some lines down the block and started a fire near her and Will's house.

I'm at the library - still without cable or internet.  Not complaining as it could be worse.

Offline Baggerhog

• Adult
« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2008, 19:13:18 »
Good to have you back and to hear your tank is ok.
Andy
Batavia, Ohio

Offline Slicktrax

« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2008, 20:44:22 »
good to hear.  i got lucky, only had power flickers on sunday.  just enough to cause my directv receiver to reset a few times.
That one guy who used to be on all the time......

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2008, 21:46:42 »
We lucked out as well. I was in Columbus at a cheer comp with Kortney, but Gary Lee said it went out for a couple of minutes and that was it. They are saying that the ice storms we had up here this past winter cleaned out a lot of the weakened limbs and trees, so we didn't get as many downed trees and branches. The electrical companies also trimmed the heck out of most of the trees up here this summer.

Let me tell you, driving back from Columbus in 50-60mph winds was definately an experience! I can't believe I didn't see any trucks overturned in the ditch. The winds were throwing our mini-van around like a rag doll.

Offline JoeAyers

« Reply #60 on: September 17, 2008, 23:38:58 »
Going on hour 82ish and the battery is just about drained. Got the generator up and running which isn't all bad as I am able to run the lights (some old PCs) for a few hours, two tunzes, and a 250 watt heater.  The LPS in the tank actually looked as good as ever after about three hours of light.  Should be interesting to see how long the generator will run since I don't plan to go fill it up until morning.

Hope everyone is getting back to normal and those who don't have power get it soon.

Joe

themissinglynk

« Reply #61 on: September 18, 2008, 08:49:53 »
Well...  I ended up "getting lucky"...  charged a car battery at a friend's house, and brought it back to my inverter, and plugged in.  It ran "most of the night", and in the morning, I got a little battery airstone going.

That night on the way home from work, I stopped to buy additional batteries and chargers, so I could charge them at my mom's place.  Spent about $245 or so online at Home Depot to buy a small generator.  So, that should show up in a few days, and I should be all set. 

Naturally, after spending about $500 on betteries, chargers, and a generator, and emptying the fridge and freezer... Murphy turned the electricity back on.

I'm returning 2 of the batteries that never got their terminal covers removed, and one of the chargers that was never opened.  And, naturally, I'll keep the generator around for "next time".

All said and done, I had just put 3 peppermint shrimp in my tank last week.  I still count two, and I found either a dead one or a molting the other day.

Otherwise, no major losses.

Offline xXTheWendigoXx

• Adult
« Reply #62 on: September 18, 2008, 12:50:53 »
Let me tell you, driving back from Columbus in 50-60mph winds was definately an experience! I can't believe I didn't see any trucks overturned in the ditch. The winds were throwing our mini-van around like a rag doll.

Yeah, I was driving up from Cincinnati, I missed a flying port-o-let by about two feet.
I feel almost guilty, we never lost power, only cable and internet for a while. Got LUCKY!

Offline rmstevensiii

• Adult
« Reply #63 on: September 18, 2008, 16:03:29 »
Update:

On the home front... things are bouncing back MUCH better than I expected.

Some pics...before and after.

After the crash...

After refilling the tank...

And today....

And new snail eggs:

I know that it will be quite a while before I can say for sure that I'm out of the woods, but I'm feeling better about it!

Just thought I'd share...

Mitch
Dayton - 45459

Offline Secondgen

« Reply #64 on: September 18, 2008, 16:12:03 »
Great to see, and hear Mitch. I like your rockwork.

Offline Baggerhog

• Adult
« Reply #65 on: September 18, 2008, 16:22:23 »
looking better than it sounded a few days ago. I will keep my fingers crossed for ya.
Andy
Batavia, Ohio

Offline verper

« Reply #66 on: September 18, 2008, 19:51:32 »
Sorry to hear about your fish loss Mitch.  Glad to see that the tank is rebounding.  Hopefully your close to a full recovery.

Offline verper

« Reply #67 on: September 18, 2008, 20:18:34 »
Talked to Tim -aquavista99- last night after hearing that the Dorothy Lane Market down by him just got power back on yesterday afternoon.  He said he has made it though so far on battery backups at night and a generator during the day.   

Offline verper

« Reply #68 on: September 18, 2008, 21:24:03 »
....................... :'(

Well I left for Houston on Saturday to help clean up after Ike and got the call on Sunday that power had gone out. I left my tanks in the hands of my mom who can follow directions very well for top ups and basic stuff but I was not prepared for a week long power outage. I'm still down in the Houston/Galveston area and got the call today from my mom that power is still not on. I asked her to go and check the temperature on the tank and she said it's at 64....but it smells really bad and is getting cloudy. I feel pretty helpless and just told her to keep an eye on the skimmer cup once the power comes back on because it's probably gonna fill up pretty quick. I'm gonna be down here for a least another week or two if not longer and I just hope something stays alive long enough for me to see it when I get back. If I come home to a dead tank I think I'm done with the hobby for good.

That doesn't sound good.  I know that Dorothy Lane Market just got power back yesterday afternoon.  Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

Offline Riderc82

• Adult
« Reply #69 on: September 19, 2008, 00:58:12 »
Geez, I just got my power at 1 P.M. (Thursday).  I was completely unprepared, My tank done great the first 24 + hours at the 36 hour mark everything was starting to look horrible at this time I lost my Yellow tang, Hippo, Goby and a clown.  Tuesday at 9 P.M. I was able to locate a generator on craigslist and get my tank up and running but with my job I never get a day off except my scheduled days so I was unable to get the generator running more than twelve hours out of each 24 hour day.  It appears that my caps will all make it but I'm pretty sure I'm going to lose a bonsai and a brown acro.     

Offline Revaltion131

• Adult
« Reply #70 on: September 19, 2008, 10:24:04 »
Well that stinks.  I know losing a fish hurts, but unless it was one of the super-rare clowns, it sounds like your worst loss would/will be the bonsai, as hippos, yellows, and most gobies are fairly easy to come by.

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #71 on: September 19, 2008, 17:20:01 »
We still don't have power, so this will be a short post since we're on a generator (THANKS SCOTT!!!) 

We had the big tree in our front yard go down...which kept us busy on Sunday night for about 6 hours.  During that time, the water drained in my tank below the highest coral, so one of my Monti Caps was out of the water for over 6 hours...and is still fine.  My frag tank got down to 68 degrees...and is still fine.

Sunday night was miserable.  I was waking up every 2 hours to stir the tanks since I couldn't find any battery powered pumps or anything.  We got an inverter and hooked it up to Will's GTO and ran a single pump off of that.  Thankfully Monday morning, Scott brought me a generator and Jenn loaned me two battery powered pumps.

They're estimating that we won't have power back on til Tuesday.  :( 

I'm sorry to hear about all of the losses.  If our tanks make it through this, please let me know, and I'd be glad to help get people's tanks back up.  Good luck everyone!

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #72 on: September 19, 2008, 18:45:03 »
Talked to Tim -aquavista99- last night after hearing that the Dorothy Lane Market down by him just got power back on yesterday afternoon.  He said he has made it though so far on battery backups at night and a generator during the day.   

We lost power from Sunday afternoon through Thursday. Our neighborhood in Springboro was hit hard with 80 mph winds for six hours during the storm and there are still people in our area without power. We were very blessed to make it by on Vortech battery backup power during the nights and we used a gasoline generator during the days. It takes 12 hours to recharge each Vortech battery unit, so we made trips to Centerville daily, which had power restored on Monday, to recharge the batteries and buy more gas for the generator. The generator we borrowed from a close friend was loud and we were told by the local police that we could run it everyday until 9pm, so we had to rely on battery backups at night as well. Without access to a generator and the Vortech battery units, our SPS reef would have died within the first 6 to 12 hours of the power outage due to lack of flow and oxygen.

We contacted Joel at Aquariums Etc on Tuesday (day 3 of the power outage). Joel was kind enough to provide our reef tank with backup power compact lights that could be powered by our generator to help us get through the rest of the week without power. Duke Energy, which services most of Springboro, said this was the worst natural disaster in its entire history. Over 800,000 Duke customers lost power and there are many people in the N. Kentucky, Cincinnati and Warren County (Springboro, Clear Creek Twp, etc) areas who still do not have power.

Attached a few pictures of my stressful week below, including some pictures of my neighborhood after the storm.

First 48 + hours complete blackout on our reef

Day 3 and 4 backup power compact lights provided by Joel at Aquariums Etc.

Life support

« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 19:00:33 by aquavista99 »

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #73 on: September 19, 2008, 21:52:41 »

Sunday night was miserable.  I was waking up every 2 hours to stir the tanks since I couldn't find any battery powered pumps or anything. 

I did the same thing. One of our backup batteries was not fully charged during the first night so I panicked and recirculated small buckets of reef water back into my tank every 15 minutes all night long until my friend arrived at my house on Monday morning with a generator. Very stressful night for me as well. Our reef survived with the help of others, but we were not prepared for a long-term power outage. I sure hope your power returns soon as well.

I am very sorry to hear about everyone who lost fish and corals during the power outage.

Offline Riderc82

• Adult
« Reply #74 on: September 20, 2008, 01:09:58 »
Wow Tim I think your generator has a smaller gas tank than mine.  I know what you mean when you say stressed I'm getting married Saturday and not only did I have the stress of trying to work and save my tank I also had the fiance stressing me out more because she was so worried about the reception hall not having power.  I guess on Thursday when I'm sitting in Hawaii I'll forget about how bad the first four days of the week were. 

Offline Revaltion131

• Adult
« Reply #75 on: September 20, 2008, 10:36:00 »
Yeah, hopefully your wedding will brighten your spirits!  One of the women I work with, her daughter's first birthday was Thursday, and they still didn't have power.  She had a huge party planned for today, with the intention of making all of the food.  She's been a mess all week.  One of our managers that has power back actually offered his house for her to use, so that was really nice.

Mitch, I'm glad your tank looks like it's bouncing back.  I don't have much in mine and I was ready to hug my little clown when we unwrapped the tank and hooked everything back up and he was still alive and kicking.  I know how you feel!

I do still have two lawnmower batteries that I can loan out if anybody without power needs any help.

Offline JoeAyers

« Reply #76 on: September 20, 2008, 14:47:41 »
Got power back Friday afternoon. Right around 4pm.  122 hours without power. I was a little disapointed that my battery backup only lasted about 90 total hours. It wasn't fully charged when the power went out but I would have expected at least 200 hours on the 3/4 charge it had. I'm heading to Sams shortly to buy a bigger charger and am going to get all three cells up to full charge and pull the plug again and see how long it will last. I'm running about 1 amp and it is roughly a 680ah battery so I would expect to get about 544 hours out of it after conversion loss, but we will see. Overall I'm happy with how things turned out. Everything made it and I only had to run the generator for about 2 days.

As far as non-reef stuff, I got lucky. No damage to my property. Just had to throw away a bunch of food that now stinks to high heaven in the can in front of the house.  :)

Mitch,

Good to hear your tank is making a comeback.

Tim,

Glad everything worked out okay.

Joe

Offline Agent_Orange

• Fry
« Reply #77 on: September 20, 2008, 15:32:29 »
I ended up losing all the fish and shrimp, with only a couple of the cleanup crew remaining. I was out of town the beginning of the week when the power went out, so I was unable to tend to the tanks. I also lost the xenia frag and GBTA I just got. The hitchhiker zoos I got off some LR is bouncing back. I will probably start a rebuild thread somewhere, seeing as I am unsure of which way to go now. Luckily all of my freshwater fish seem to be doing ok.
What does it mean Bob? "Till the cows come home." Where have all the cows been?

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #78 on: September 20, 2008, 19:51:13 »
Wow Tim I think your generator has a smaller gas tank than mine.  I know what you mean when you say stressed I'm getting married Saturday and not only did I have the stress of trying to work and save my tank I also had the fiance stressing me out more because she was so worried about the reception hall not having power.  I guess on Thursday when I'm sitting in Hawaii I'll forget about how bad the first four days of the week were. 

Congratulations on your wedding!!! Take advantage of the black sand beaches and great snorkeling while in Hawaii. As for my generator, I had to fill it up about every 2.5 hours.  Spent lots of money on gas. During the first three days of the outage, only premium gas was available. We also had it hooked up to the fridge as well.

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #79 on: September 20, 2008, 19:59:25 »
Got power back Friday afternoon. Right around 4pm.  122 hours without power.

Mitch,

Good to hear your tank is making a comeback.

Tim,

Glad everything worked out okay.

Joe

Joe, I am glad you are finally with power as well. We had some property damage, but not as bad as others. My battery backups did not last as long as I thought they would as well, but as long as I kept recharging them, they exceeded my expectations and are a great first defense for short-term power outages.

Mitch, I have free replacement pink pocillipora and tan monti cap frags for you whenever you are ready. Glad to hear your tank is back online and doing better.

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #80 on: September 21, 2008, 11:14:52 »

....hit hard with 80 mph winds for six hours during the storm...

Wow! Was that sustained or gusts?

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #81 on: September 21, 2008, 14:23:39 »
Wow! Was that sustained or gusts?

Both, non stop for 6 hours.. The wind velocity reached up to 85 mph in West Chester. It was basically a Class 1 Hurricane (74-95 mph winds) without the water/storm surge.

Offline Riderc82

• Adult
« Reply #82 on: September 22, 2008, 00:36:56 »
I think I may have to buy some more LPS corals, I'm kind of disappointed that I lost several of my SPS corals.  I guess since I forked out the money for a generator maybe I should buy some more SPS corals.  It looks like my caps are still kicking but the bonsai is dead as a door nail.  The yellow humilis frag I got from Tim at the July meeting looks like it did before the power outage. I think I'm going to buy one or two replacement corals I'm thinking maybe a pink millie and a nice pink birdsnest. I guess the best thing that came of the power outage is that the anthelia was easier to remove than ever I actually think I may have gotten it under control.  Here's my candy cane during the outage, thankfully it looks like it did before the power went out already.

Offline Viggen

« Reply #83 on: September 22, 2008, 10:05:27 »
my little reef tank is still powerless..... I removed my cinamon clown to my FO tank (he's eating) but my 8yr old coral banded shrimp didn't make it.  I have some kind of little anemone that's 14+ yrs old.... he's hanging on.  If power isn't on tonight I am going to try to setup something at my house to hold the anemone & gorgonians over.

My FO tank at my house I lost my 12+ in vlmingi (sp) tang & also my sohal who had ZERO ATTITUDE!!!  Probably going to claim those 2 on my insurance claim along with the roof damage, siding damage, fence damage etc

300g tub o fish

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #84 on: September 22, 2008, 17:13:04 »
WE HAVE THE POWER!!!!

Power came on sometime today while I was at work.  Absolutely no losses during an 8 day outage.  We only ran the generator while we were home...and then battery powered airstones while we were at work.  I'll post some crazy pictures later.

Now I'm off to run the dishwasher, do laundry, clean out the remainder of the fridge, empty ice...oh...and fix my car since it decided it didn't want to start today.

It'll probably be a couple of days before I'm back on regularly.

Nikki

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #85 on: September 22, 2008, 19:05:45 »
WE HAVE THE POWER!!!!

Power came on sometime today while I was at work.  Absolutely no losses during an 8 day outage. 

Welcome back to power, Nikki! Surviving a long-term power outage with no loses is a big deal. Just imagine if the storm would have hit in January or July (extreme cold or hot weather). 

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #86 on: September 22, 2008, 22:49:19 »
Just another quick update on my part...

Here was our main disaster other than the power outage:

Since the tanks survived...and are somehow looking perfect...we decided to treat ourselves.  We purchased a mated pair of High Fin Gobies that is paired with a Tiger Pistol Shrimp.  You can see all three working together below.  Sorry for the poor pic.  (I purchased these at NDR...thanks Dodd!)

Offline Secondgen

« Reply #87 on: September 22, 2008, 23:10:57 »
Those are cool Nikki. What did you pay? Great additions.

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #88 on: September 23, 2008, 06:15:37 »
He had the Hi-Fin Gobies for $18 each...and I think the Tiger Pistol Shrimp was $15.  Couldn't beat the price, especially for something that uncommon.  I've rarely seen a group of three before.

Offline Todd W.

• Adult
« Reply #89 on: September 23, 2008, 11:38:34 »
Would a pairing like that (but 1 and 1) be size appropriate for a 6 gallon nano?

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #90 on: September 23, 2008, 15:47:54 »
my little reef tank is still powerless..... I removed my cinamon clown to my FO tank (he's eating) but my 8yr old coral banded shrimp didn't make it.  I have some kind of little anemone that's 14+ yrs old.... he's hanging on.  If power isn't on tonight I am going to try to setup something at my house to hold the anemone & gorgonians over.

My FO tank at my house I lost my 12+ in vlmingi (sp) tang & also my sohal who had ZERO ATTITUDE!!!  Probably going to claim those 2 on my insurance claim along with the roof damage, siding damage, fence damage etc

Sorry to hear about your loses, Gary. Hope your power is restored soon!

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #91 on: September 23, 2008, 16:58:18 »
Gary, I'm sorry to hear that too!  I know it isn't much, but I do have a coral banded shrimp you can have if you'd like. 

Todd W., I've heard they're ok in 10g and happiest in a 20g+.  Seeing as how the fish get to be up to 4", that might be a little squished in a 6g.  I don't know to be honest. 

Offline Todd W.

• Adult
« Reply #92 on: September 24, 2008, 09:17:36 »
Squished is bad  :(

On another note from the storm....

We were out for 96 hours and I just noticed 3 days ago that my Lawnmower Blenny is nowhere to be seen, he was looking sick anyways and not eating even though there is plenty of algae in the tank....  I peeked under some rocks and looked to see if he jumped but no luck.  I am assuming that he died and the brittle star, and hermits had a feast, so far no chemical spikes in the tank.  I'm guessing he died early on and since the tank was covered I did not notice.

Anyone else ever have amazing disappearing fish?

Offline rmstevensiii

• Adult
« Reply #93 on: September 24, 2008, 09:54:29 »
Final Update:

Well... I picked my large SPS pieces yesterday, and it does not look like any of them survived.  :(  Total loss.

Maybe the stress of the move was just too much for them.... don't know....  just sick about it right now.

-Mitch
Dayton - 45459

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #94 on: September 24, 2008, 10:12:30 »
Mitch- It looks like you lost all your SPS corals. So sorry to see those big caps go. And the green birdsnest. I have a replacement cap you can have whenver your tank is ready for more corals. Also have pink pocillopora frags I can give you.

quicksilver

« Reply #95 on: September 24, 2008, 11:00:45 »
My dragon gobie just vanished one day have not seen him since I think he is in my over flows but cant tell maybe I never will.  :'(

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #96 on: September 24, 2008, 17:09:22 »
Mitch, I have some cap frags you can have...and a frag of the green birds nest when it grows a little bit bigger.  Sorry to hear about your loss, but you've got the club behind you.

Offline Viggen

« Reply #97 on: September 25, 2008, 19:07:06 »
reed'ed... thanks for the offer.... I am thinking that I mught just tear the tank down & sell off what little stuff I have in there.  My reef tank was at work/parents house & my mom was pretty much in tears when she was telling me the shrimp died.   

Thanks again....
300g tub o fish

quicksilver

« Reply #98 on: September 25, 2008, 20:21:53 »
I am sorry to hear that.  :'(

Offline Todd W.

• Adult
« Reply #99 on: September 25, 2008, 20:24:17 »
I've got plenty of softies....