2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: How is everyone's tank?  (Read 9164 times)

Offline Revaltion131

• Adult
Re: How is everyone's tank?
« Reply #75 on: September 20, 2008, 10:36:00 »
Yeah, hopefully your wedding will brighten your spirits!  One of the women I work with, her daughter's first birthday was Thursday, and they still didn't have power.  She had a huge party planned for today, with the intention of making all of the food.  She's been a mess all week.  One of our managers that has power back actually offered his house for her to use, so that was really nice.

Mitch, I'm glad your tank looks like it's bouncing back.  I don't have much in mine and I was ready to hug my little clown when we unwrapped the tank and hooked everything back up and he was still alive and kicking.  I know how you feel!

I do still have two lawnmower batteries that I can loan out if anybody without power needs any help.

Offline JoeAyers

« Reply #76 on: September 20, 2008, 14:47:41 »
Got power back Friday afternoon. Right around 4pm.  122 hours without power. I was a little disapointed that my battery backup only lasted about 90 total hours. It wasn't fully charged when the power went out but I would have expected at least 200 hours on the 3/4 charge it had. I'm heading to Sams shortly to buy a bigger charger and am going to get all three cells up to full charge and pull the plug again and see how long it will last. I'm running about 1 amp and it is roughly a 680ah battery so I would expect to get about 544 hours out of it after conversion loss, but we will see. Overall I'm happy with how things turned out. Everything made it and I only had to run the generator for about 2 days.

As far as non-reef stuff, I got lucky. No damage to my property. Just had to throw away a bunch of food that now stinks to high heaven in the can in front of the house.  :)

Mitch,

Good to hear your tank is making a comeback.

Tim,

Glad everything worked out okay.

Joe

Offline Agent_Orange

• Fry
« Reply #77 on: September 20, 2008, 15:32:29 »
I ended up losing all the fish and shrimp, with only a couple of the cleanup crew remaining. I was out of town the beginning of the week when the power went out, so I was unable to tend to the tanks. I also lost the xenia frag and GBTA I just got. The hitchhiker zoos I got off some LR is bouncing back. I will probably start a rebuild thread somewhere, seeing as I am unsure of which way to go now. Luckily all of my freshwater fish seem to be doing ok.
What does it mean Bob? "Till the cows come home." Where have all the cows been?

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #78 on: September 20, 2008, 19:51:13 »
Wow Tim I think your generator has a smaller gas tank than mine.  I know what you mean when you say stressed I'm getting married Saturday and not only did I have the stress of trying to work and save my tank I also had the fiance stressing me out more because she was so worried about the reception hall not having power.  I guess on Thursday when I'm sitting in Hawaii I'll forget about how bad the first four days of the week were. 

Congratulations on your wedding!!! Take advantage of the black sand beaches and great snorkeling while in Hawaii. As for my generator, I had to fill it up about every 2.5 hours.  Spent lots of money on gas. During the first three days of the outage, only premium gas was available. We also had it hooked up to the fridge as well.

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #79 on: September 20, 2008, 19:59:25 »
Got power back Friday afternoon. Right around 4pm.  122 hours without power.

Mitch,

Good to hear your tank is making a comeback.

Tim,

Glad everything worked out okay.

Joe

Joe, I am glad you are finally with power as well. We had some property damage, but not as bad as others. My battery backups did not last as long as I thought they would as well, but as long as I kept recharging them, they exceeded my expectations and are a great first defense for short-term power outages.

Mitch, I have free replacement pink pocillipora and tan monti cap frags for you whenever you are ready. Glad to hear your tank is back online and doing better.

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
« Reply #80 on: September 21, 2008, 11:14:52 »

....hit hard with 80 mph winds for six hours during the storm...

Wow! Was that sustained or gusts?

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #81 on: September 21, 2008, 14:23:39 »
Wow! Was that sustained or gusts?

Both, non stop for 6 hours.. The wind velocity reached up to 85 mph in West Chester. It was basically a Class 1 Hurricane (74-95 mph winds) without the water/storm surge.

Offline Riderc82

• Adult
« Reply #82 on: September 22, 2008, 00:36:56 »
I think I may have to buy some more LPS corals, I'm kind of disappointed that I lost several of my SPS corals.  I guess since I forked out the money for a generator maybe I should buy some more SPS corals.  It looks like my caps are still kicking but the bonsai is dead as a door nail.  The yellow humilis frag I got from Tim at the July meeting looks like it did before the power outage. I think I'm going to buy one or two replacement corals I'm thinking maybe a pink millie and a nice pink birdsnest. I guess the best thing that came of the power outage is that the anthelia was easier to remove than ever I actually think I may have gotten it under control.  Here's my candy cane during the outage, thankfully it looks like it did before the power went out already.

Offline Viggen

« Reply #83 on: September 22, 2008, 10:05:27 »
my little reef tank is still powerless..... I removed my cinamon clown to my FO tank (he's eating) but my 8yr old coral banded shrimp didn't make it.  I have some kind of little anemone that's 14+ yrs old.... he's hanging on.  If power isn't on tonight I am going to try to setup something at my house to hold the anemone & gorgonians over.

My FO tank at my house I lost my 12+ in vlmingi (sp) tang & also my sohal who had ZERO ATTITUDE!!!  Probably going to claim those 2 on my insurance claim along with the roof damage, siding damage, fence damage etc

300g tub o fish

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #84 on: September 22, 2008, 17:13:04 »
WE HAVE THE POWER!!!!

Power came on sometime today while I was at work.  Absolutely no losses during an 8 day outage.  We only ran the generator while we were home...and then battery powered airstones while we were at work.  I'll post some crazy pictures later.

Now I'm off to run the dishwasher, do laundry, clean out the remainder of the fridge, empty ice...oh...and fix my car since it decided it didn't want to start today.

It'll probably be a couple of days before I'm back on regularly.

Nikki

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #85 on: September 22, 2008, 19:05:45 »
WE HAVE THE POWER!!!!

Power came on sometime today while I was at work.  Absolutely no losses during an 8 day outage. 

Welcome back to power, Nikki! Surviving a long-term power outage with no loses is a big deal. Just imagine if the storm would have hit in January or July (extreme cold or hot weather). 

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #86 on: September 22, 2008, 22:49:19 »
Just another quick update on my part...

Here was our main disaster other than the power outage:

Since the tanks survived...and are somehow looking perfect...we decided to treat ourselves.  We purchased a mated pair of High Fin Gobies that is paired with a Tiger Pistol Shrimp.  You can see all three working together below.  Sorry for the poor pic.  (I purchased these at NDR...thanks Dodd!)

Offline Secondgen

« Reply #87 on: September 22, 2008, 23:10:57 »
Those are cool Nikki. What did you pay? Great additions.

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #88 on: September 23, 2008, 06:15:37 »
He had the Hi-Fin Gobies for $18 each...and I think the Tiger Pistol Shrimp was $15.  Couldn't beat the price, especially for something that uncommon.  I've rarely seen a group of three before.

Offline Todd W.

• Adult
« Reply #89 on: September 23, 2008, 11:38:34 »
Would a pairing like that (but 1 and 1) be size appropriate for a 6 gallon nano?

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #90 on: September 23, 2008, 15:47:54 »
my little reef tank is still powerless..... I removed my cinamon clown to my FO tank (he's eating) but my 8yr old coral banded shrimp didn't make it.  I have some kind of little anemone that's 14+ yrs old.... he's hanging on.  If power isn't on tonight I am going to try to setup something at my house to hold the anemone & gorgonians over.

My FO tank at my house I lost my 12+ in vlmingi (sp) tang & also my sohal who had ZERO ATTITUDE!!!  Probably going to claim those 2 on my insurance claim along with the roof damage, siding damage, fence damage etc

Sorry to hear about your loses, Gary. Hope your power is restored soon!

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #91 on: September 23, 2008, 16:58:18 »
Gary, I'm sorry to hear that too!  I know it isn't much, but I do have a coral banded shrimp you can have if you'd like. 

Todd W., I've heard they're ok in 10g and happiest in a 20g+.  Seeing as how the fish get to be up to 4", that might be a little squished in a 6g.  I don't know to be honest. 

Offline Todd W.

• Adult
« Reply #92 on: September 24, 2008, 09:17:36 »
Squished is bad  :(

On another note from the storm....

We were out for 96 hours and I just noticed 3 days ago that my Lawnmower Blenny is nowhere to be seen, he was looking sick anyways and not eating even though there is plenty of algae in the tank....  I peeked under some rocks and looked to see if he jumped but no luck.  I am assuming that he died and the brittle star, and hermits had a feast, so far no chemical spikes in the tank.  I'm guessing he died early on and since the tank was covered I did not notice.

Anyone else ever have amazing disappearing fish?

Offline rmstevensiii

• Adult
« Reply #93 on: September 24, 2008, 09:54:29 »
Final Update:

Well... I picked my large SPS pieces yesterday, and it does not look like any of them survived.  :(  Total loss.

Maybe the stress of the move was just too much for them.... don't know....  just sick about it right now.

-Mitch
Dayton - 45459

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #94 on: September 24, 2008, 10:12:30 »
Mitch- It looks like you lost all your SPS corals. So sorry to see those big caps go. And the green birdsnest. I have a replacement cap you can have whenver your tank is ready for more corals. Also have pink pocillopora frags I can give you.

quicksilver

« Reply #95 on: September 24, 2008, 11:00:45 »
My dragon gobie just vanished one day have not seen him since I think he is in my over flows but cant tell maybe I never will.  :'(

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #96 on: September 24, 2008, 17:09:22 »
Mitch, I have some cap frags you can have...and a frag of the green birds nest when it grows a little bit bigger.  Sorry to hear about your loss, but you've got the club behind you.

Offline Viggen

« Reply #97 on: September 25, 2008, 19:07:06 »
reed'ed... thanks for the offer.... I am thinking that I mught just tear the tank down & sell off what little stuff I have in there.  My reef tank was at work/parents house & my mom was pretty much in tears when she was telling me the shrimp died.   

Thanks again....
300g tub o fish

quicksilver

« Reply #98 on: September 25, 2008, 20:21:53 »
I am sorry to hear that.  :'(

Offline Todd W.

• Adult
« Reply #99 on: September 25, 2008, 20:24:17 »
I've got plenty of softies....